Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old April 30th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Known Forum User

Advice please - again

Can anyone tell me how I can bring out the hill in the background of this picture in PSE4?

http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?pi...VAZ6IiejquYLQ2

Was a bit slow loading for me.
Old May 1st, 2006, 12:25 AM
Casual Forum User

Send a message via MSN to randy_nacol2002 Send a message via Yahoo to randy_nacol2002
I'm not a pro by any means but have you opened your hue and saturation control open your green and then your yellow, punch your saturation level till you like it. It might work . What might help is go to The Radiant vista website, http://www.radiantvista.com/video_tutorials/. Even though it for Photoshop CS2 it works the same for PSE3 and 4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
A picture is worth a thousand words. An interface is worth a thousand pictures. - Ben Shneiderman
Old May 1st, 2006, 12:30 AM
Known Forum User

I think that the big problem here is that there is no definite line between the mountains and the sky.
Old May 1st, 2006, 12:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi, Ive been gone but here is a quick try with a screen shot- I duplicated and used multiply blend mode to bring the hills out.
http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?pi...oXSdS5uSHDzbs0
Using a layer mask would be more precise but I don't have a good enough grasp on them to explain. Hope this helps until someone else comes along.

PET Gallery

Old May 1st, 2006, 01:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Stringbean,

I'm not really good on this sort of thing.........so bear in mind that my advice might not be the right way to go. Someone more experienced will no doubt come along later with other/different advice.

But for now....I would probably try selecting the mountains (with a slight feather) and put them on their own layer and then darken them with a hue/saturation layer mask. Move the bottom slide (lightness) to the left until it looks good to you.

and

Old May 1st, 2006, 11:28 PM
Casual Forum User

I have recently become addicted to the dodge and burn technique. I think I would try to darken the hill slightly. I admit I have not tried with this pic but I am sure it would work.

My Gallery

Old May 2nd, 2006, 01:08 AM
Frequent Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to ME100FINN
stringbean, here is my quick attempt. I clicked the magic selection tool on the sky then click an adjustment levels layer (this automatically creates a mask to that selection only). Make changes. Then CTRL+click the black/white thumbnail on that adjustment layer and create a new adjustment layer with Photo Filter (little black/white circle icon in the layers palette), selecting one of the blue tones or custom color if you'd like.

Of course you can always paint WHITE on the adjustment mask layers to add to it, adjusting even the opacity lightly to apply on a bit (which I did over the tree line -- sloppy, but you get the idea). If you mess up, paint BLACK to cover it up again.

Hope this helps. Looks like a large area of the sky is blown out. Maybe using a clone/stamp tool to cover up that area might help.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2.../skyadjust.jpg

Old May 2nd, 2006, 09:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Stringbean,

This might be a good one for a sky relacement. I was surprised by how much details some of the other suggestions brought out in the hill but a new sky would highlight it even more.