Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old April 20th, 2006, 06:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Type in a circle

Hi,
I've seen quite a few posts about creating circular text in Elements.
Here is a method I found on the net. If you get the basics right then you can tweek it to suit yourself.
Hope it is useful to someone.
Kev.

How to create circular text

1 Create a new square page. In this tutorial I will use a 6” x 6” page at 300ppi, colour white. Remember that the circle will be half the size of your page. View grid on, snap to grid off.
2 Select horizontal type tool, for this I chose Times New Roman at 22.5 pts. Make sure you have left alignment selected. Now start typing at the extreme left of your page. I used the word “smile” in lower case, then space and the word repeatedly until you reach the extreme right edge of your page. You can of course select the first smile; control C, space, Control V until the right edge is reached. The type should not go out side the page.
3 Now making sure the type layer is selected do Control J to create a copy, click back on the original type layer and click on the eye to close it.
4 Select the copy type layer, Go to Image – Rotate Layer 180 degrees. Right click on the type layer and click on simplify. Now press Control T and in the height box enter 250.
5 Go to Filter – Distort – Polar Co-ordinates. Make sure that Rectangular To Polar is selected then click OK.
6 And there is your circular text.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dogs have masters, cats have servants.

Windows 7, PSE 9, PSP 12.

Last edited by kevq; December 5th, 2008 at 04:06 AM.
Old April 20th, 2006, 08:39 AM
Senior Contributor

Hey, that's a pretty neat trick, Kev. Thanks for sharing it. It's amazing what this program will do. At what's more amazing is that someone figured out how to do this with it!

Diana

Itís not happy people who are thankful, itís thankful people who are happy.

~ Canon 5D Mark II ~ Canon Rebel XTi ~ EF70-200 f/2.8L ~ EF85 f/1.8 ~ EF24-70 f/2.8 ~ EF 24-105 f4 L IS ~ EF 50mm f/1.8 II ~ Canon PowerShot S95 ~ Canon PowerShot SX50 HS ~ Windows 7 ~ PSE 11 & 12 ~ PS CC ~ Lightroom5 ~ Pro Show Producer ~ Corel Painter X ~ Printers: Canon Pixma Pro9500 Mark II, HP Deskjet 882C, HP LaserJet 1200 ~
Old April 20th, 2006, 09:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi Diana,
Glad you found it helpful. I was a little worried that people wouldn't find the tut easy to understand.
Kev

Old April 20th, 2006, 09:33 AM
Casual Forum User

Thumbs up Thanks for posting this...

I've been looking for a way to do this... I have a hands-on scrapbook page I want to do this one and do have a Journaling Genie product I could use to do this, but I took that program off when I downloaded PSE4... I'll be sure to give this a try...
Old April 20th, 2006, 10:47 AM

Slightly OT and if you want to stick with Elements this is an excellent way to do it but I've also found that the WordArt feature in Microsoft Word (or other Office programs) also works well. If you do it in Word you just need to copy it and then New Image from Clipboard in Elements gives it to you as a new image in Elements. So you can do things like:

Tony
Old April 20th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Enlightened Elder

... and here is another way of doing text in a circle

http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com...ead.php?t=2407

Wendy

"

Old April 20th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi All,
thanks for comments.
Looks like my tut was unnecessary.
Kev

Old April 20th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Frequent Contributor

Not at all unnecessary. There are always lots of ways to accomplish something.

-Trish
Old April 20th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Enlightened Elder

Kev ...

There are lots of ways of doing this one ... and its always fun to find out new ones Yours is a pretty neat way of doing it !!

Wendy

"

Old April 20th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Trish, Wendy,
thank you.
The Word Art way is neat, I've just tried it but not everyone has Word.
The method you gave the link for Wendy, I tried that earlier and found it very slow and memory hogging. I shall stick to this method.
Kev