Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old April 12th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Known Forum User

Painting with Black and White again

I can't find that "rule" that someone posted before about painting in black and painting in white - how one adds back in and the other takes away... can someone post that? I can't see to remember how that works

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- We Debate Theology... Seriously!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 100% heresy-free
Old April 12th, 2006, 11:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Dee Dee, the rule has to do with adjustment layers (or masks). On an adjustment layer, click on the white square to the right of the layer. Black will hide the results of the adjustment layer. White will allow the results of the adjustment layer to be seen. So, if you fill it entirely with black, and then paint with white in specific areas, only those "white" areas will show the adjustment.

If this doesn't answer your question, please post again, and we'll try to clarify.

--Linda
Old April 13th, 2006, 03:00 AM
Enlightened Elder

Hi Dee Dee ...

Now that the cube is finished are you working on soemthing new ??

Wendy

"

Old April 13th, 2006, 06:45 AM
Known Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindajay
Dee Dee, the rule has to do with adjustment layers (or masks). On an adjustment layer, click on the white square to the right of the layer. Black will hide the results of the adjustment layer. White will allow the results of the adjustment layer to be seen. So, if you fill it entirely with black, and then paint with white in specific areas, only those "white" areas will show the adjustment.

If this doesn't answer your question, please post again, and we'll try to clarify.

--Linda
No that's exactly what I was asking, thanks! I will be able to find this thread again easily enough.

- 100% heresy-free
Old April 13th, 2006, 06:46 AM
Known Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy
Hi Dee Dee ...

Now that the cube is finished are you working on soemthing new ??

Wendy
I want to re-do it neater after I find out about the question I asked in that thread and maybe play with that 20/20 background program mentioned in the floral cube thread.

There was a tutorial at pixel addiction I was also working on and gave up in frustration that maybe I will try again. I will start a thread with that link when I get a chance. Thank you so much for all your help.

- 100% heresy-free
Old April 13th, 2006, 06:48 AM
Senior Contributor

black conceals, white reveals.

dark hides, white shows

Old April 13th, 2006, 06:59 AM
Senior Contributor

white is light...

Ray
Old April 13th, 2006, 07:12 AM
Enlightened Elder

Oh my ...

I never remember so I just do ... try one and if it doesn't work then try the other

Wendy

"

Old April 13th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Wendy just think of black as being a darker colour than white therefore it will have better covered and HIDE what's behind it. (might have to paint my daughter's room black to cover the pictures she has drawn on her wall with MARKERS!!! -- she's 15)

Old April 13th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Enlightened Elder

Hi Pauline ...

Far to technical for me ... I'm happy with just trying it out

I just read the rest of your message ... she used markers !! Oh that is not going to be easy to cover up !!

Wendy

"