Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old October 25th, 2013, 10:26 AM
Casual Forum User

pse 10 vs 12

I currently use PSE 10. It doesn't allow me to view Raw files with my canon sx 50. Just wondering if PSE 12 will. Also what are the advantages of updating to version 12 from what I have. Also does it work pretty much the same, I don't want to have to learn everything over again. Thanks
Old October 25th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Senior Contributor

See:
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1030798?tstart=0
ACR version required :
http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suit...d-cameras.html

PSE11 comes with ACR 8.0, so no problem.

There has been significant changes from PSE10 to PSE11, less so from PSE11 to PSE12. So, if you are happy with PSE10, which is a very good version, you could consider using the free Adobe DNG converter stated in the first link to batch convert your raw files to the DNG format, which PSE10 can read.

Windows XP/Win7-64 - LR 5.6, PSE6 -10-11-12.1, Elements+ - smartcurves - Faststone - Canon 20D Sigma 17/70mm. Canon 50 1.8 - Fuji X100S, Lumix TZ6.
Old October 25th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel B View Post
See:
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1030798?tstart=0
ACR version required :
http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suit...d-cameras.html

PSE11 comes with ACR 8.0, so no problem.

There has been significant changes from PSE10 to PSE11, less so from PSE11 to PSE12. So, if you are happy with PSE10, which is a very good version, you could consider using the free Adobe DNG converter stated in the first link to batch convert your raw files to the DNG format, which PSE10 can read.
Most of the changes are in appearance, not in function, although there are some really nice features in the last two releases, which is why I upgraded to them. It's just a case of learning the new layout. Quite frankly I don't find it as easy to navigate as PSE 10 and earlier, but I'm living with it. I do most of my general editing with Lightroom anyway, and just move to PSE when I need what LR doesn't offer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old October 25th, 2013, 12:14 PM
Casual Forum User

I'm not familiar with LR at all. Can I download a trial version of PSE 12 and then just update if I like it?

Last edited by patk; October 25th, 2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old October 25th, 2013, 01:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preeb View Post
Most of the changes are in appearance, not in function, although there are some really nice features in the last two releases, which is why I upgraded to them. It's just a case of learning the new layout.
I believe most of the changes in PSE11 were related to function. It was quite an overhaul!

1. The Organizer's system -- People, Places, and Events -- is a more automated one.

2. Actions (.atn files) are loaded through the Actions panel just like in Photoshop. You can also load them through the Effects panel without having to install them in the photo effects folder, delete the MediaDatabase.db3 file, etc.

3. Layer styles (.asl files) no longer have to be installed in the appropriate folder within this program. They can just be loaded via the Effects panel

4. The Refine Edge feature is no longer the old one; it was brought over from Photoshop.

5. Four effects were added to the Guided Edit mode -- Tilt-Shift, High Key, Low Key, and Vignette.

6. Three Sketch filters were added -- Pen and Ink, Comic, and Graphic Novel.

7. Only a few of the album templates, graphics, etc. come installed with this program; most of them are stored online. Whenever you use them for the first time, you will be prompted to download them. They will then be installed on your computer for future use.

8. The Raw Converter 7.x, although it doesn't as many features as its counterpart in Photoshop and Lightroom 4, uses the same process (Process 2012).

9. Integration with Adobe Photoshop Showcase instead of with Photoshop.com. (Note: In PSE12 the integration is with Adobe Revel.)

PSE7,10,11,12 (Windows 7 64-bit)

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." -- Mark Twain
Old October 25th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by patk View Post
I'm not familiar with LR at all. Can I download a trial version of PSE 12 and then just update if I like it?
Hi patk,

Yes. You can download a free 30-day trial of PSE12 HERE. You will find information on how to convert from the trial version into the paid one under the FAQ tab.

And these resources will help you get acquainted with PSE12.

Introducing Photoshop Elements 12 (on our parent site)
Learning Center (on our parent site)
Adobe TV

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." -- Mark Twain

Last edited by Sepiana; October 25th, 2013 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Add link.
Old October 25th, 2013, 03:14 PM
Casual Forum User

If I download the trial version of PSE 12 will it effect my PSE10 that I'm using now?
Old October 25th, 2013, 03:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
If I download the trial version of PSE 12 will it effect my PSE10 that I'm using now?
Each version of Elements is independent from each other; you can have more than one version installed on the same computer.

Old October 25th, 2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Pat,

Do you use the Organizer for your images? When you launch PSE12 for the first time, you'll be asked if you want to convert your PSE10 catalog for use in PSE12. If you aren't sure whether PSE12 is a keeper, you may want to postpone converting the catalog and just start a new test catalog with a few test images.

Mac OS 10.9
PSE12, CS6, PSCC
Lightroom 5

Canon 5DmII, EF 24-105mm f/4L USM, EF 135mm f/2.0L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
Old October 26th, 2013, 03:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieM View Post
Pat,

Do you use the Organizer for your images? When you launch PSE12 for the first time, you'll be asked if you want to convert your PSE10 catalog for use in PSE12. If you aren't sure whether PSE12 is a keeper, you may want to postpone converting the catalog and just start a new test catalog with a few test images.
True,
but anyway the conversion keeps the old version unchanged, only renamed with -1 at the end of the catalog name. The old organizer will be aware of that change and you'll be able to work indifferently in the old or new version.
The real risk is that having two catalogs for the same data (whether in different PSE version or in the same one) requires special attention : what you do with one catalog is ignored by the other.

Windows XP/Win7-64 - LR 5.6, PSE6 -10-11-12.1, Elements+ - smartcurves - Faststone - Canon 20D Sigma 17/70mm. Canon 50 1.8 - Fuji X100S, Lumix TZ6.