Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old March 24th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Casual Forum User

Send a message via AIM to Mac User
Cool layer 1 or background copy?

Well, I found the Rainbow tutorial. Very slick! I notice that he creates a layer 1 as opposed to a Background Copy. Is that the same? Is there one way that's better than the next?

Thanks.
Old March 24th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Enlightened Elder

Hi Sandy ...

There are thing you can't do to a background layer (like apply a style) so that why they often create layer 1 instead

Wendy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"

Old March 24th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to GaryK
Hi Sandy

There is a reason for the difference in names. I just can't remember it right now.
I think it has to do with how you created new layer.
But essentially a Background Copy layer is the same as a Layer 1, if they both have the same content.

Old March 25th, 2006, 12:19 AM
Casual Forum User

Send a message via AIM to Mac User
Well, when I'm working on an image shouldn't I first create a background layer copy to work on? That's what I thought Kelby did in his book.
Old March 25th, 2006, 03:13 AM
Enlightened Elder

Hi Sandy ...

In this tutorial all he is doing is making a copy of the background layer so really it doesn't matter what it is called. If I follow the exact steps in PSE3 then I end up with Background copy and not Layer 1 ... but if I use the keyboard shortcut for Layer via copy then its called Layer 1.

With Elements there is usually several different ways of doing things ... and this is just that .. doing it a different way acheives the same result but gives the layer a different name

Wendy

"

Old March 25th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to GaryK
Wendy

Thanks.. I can never remember which is which.. I just don't look at the names often enough to realize when it says copy and when it is an number.

Old March 25th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Sandy:

When I am working on the sports collages,(which is all I seem to be doing lately) I always make sure my background layer is solid white. That way I can turn off the eyeballs on all the other layers and work on erasing the edges of one picture at a time. What I consider the background of my picture PSE considers Layer 1. I just like the flexibility of having that white layer on the very bottom there so I can see if there is more image that I need to erase. I just always make sure that my Background picture (layer 1) is right on top of that blank white backbround............

is that clear as mud ????

Canon Rebel xt; Canon 40D; canon 18- 55 mm; canon 75 - 300 mm f/5.6; canon 85mm f/1.8; canon 70-200 2.8 IS; canon 24-70 2.8; canon fisheye lens, cheap monopod; my fathers old wooden tripod, a Quantaray QSX 9002D tripod, 20 inch IMAC and a macbook pro