Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Photoshop Elements Techniques Subscriber Section > Photoshop Elements Techniques Site Queries & Comments

Old September 2nd, 2013, 02:07 PM
New Forum User

Angry Elements Magazine

Is it just me or does it irritate any other subscribers that Elements users who bought and paid for their program and ELEMENTS magazine now see that publication giving more and more print space to LIGHTROOM articles? I didn't subscribe to Elements & Lightroom magazine. And this month for instance the article is not about something can be done in Lightroom but not in Elements. So show us how to do it in Elements if you want to write an article.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 02:46 PM

Hi Chandler,

I know yours is a concern that's been voiced by some members on the PET blog. In case you haven't seen it, you might want to read Rick's reply, HERE. I thought it was helpful in explaining PET's decision to broaden the magazine's scope. Have you tried to contact them directly using the Contact Us page on the PET site? That might be the best way of letting them know what you think but I'd be glad to mention to them that you've raised the issue here as well.

Click
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for my blog

Mac OS 10.9
PSE13, CS6, PSCC
Lightroom 5

Canon 5DmII, EF 24-105mm f/4L USM, EF 135mm f/2.0L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
Old September 5th, 2013, 08:32 PM
Known Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler McGrew View Post
Is it just me or does it irritate any other subscribers that Elements users who bought and paid for their program and ELEMENTS magazine now see that publication giving more and more print space to LIGHTROOM articles? I didn't subscribe to Elements & Lightroom magazine. And this month for instance the article is not about something can be done in Lightroom but not in Elements. So show us how to do it in Elements if you want to write an article.
I agree 100%!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"In some ways, you know, people that don't exist, are much nicer than people that do." - Lewis Carroll
Old September 6th, 2013, 02:10 AM
Senior Contributor

I don't mind the broadening of the editorial scope. Some time ago the name of the magazine changed in Photographic Elements Techniques. Elements is written in capitals, but it stipulates that other issues can be covered as well.
With Photoshop gone into the cloud - which annoyed so many photographers - the expectation is that the combo Elements and Lightroom will gain more significance in the future.

PSE13 / Windows 7 - 64 bit
Nikon D7000

The perfection is not achieved in one pass

Old September 6th, 2013, 04:54 AM
Known Forum User

With Photoshop gone into the cloud - which annoyed so many photographers - the expectation is that the combo Elements and Lightroom will gain more significance in the future.[/QUOTE]

As indeed it has. After trying Lightroom for a month I made the big step and purchased it, as well as a camera that shoots Raw. I still have a lot to learn but now I appreciate all the help I can get. I think the articles in the magazine influenced my decision and now I'm happy to see them as well as the "lightroom" sections on the forum. Lightroom and Elements make a great pair!
Thanks.

Berie

MacBook Pro
Lightroom 5
PSE 13
Old September 6th, 2013, 09:04 AM
Known Forum User

I actually have had Lightroom for awhile now and prefer Elements and all of the plug-in's that are available. It comes down to a matter of preference I guess. To Chandler's point however, I did renew my subscription for 'Photographic ELEMENTS Techniques' with no indication that it would begin to feature more about LR and am quite disappointed. I prefer to make a decision as to using a different program on my own, not be nudged into it. If they want to continue to do this, then change the name of the magazine to Elements/Lighroom or some other indication of what it really is.

"In some ways, you know, people that don't exist, are much nicer than people that do." - Lewis Carroll
Old September 6th, 2013, 10:55 AM
Senior Contributor

I also renewed for two years and i must say i am trying to give it a fair shake. But it is a little difficult to do. Right now when i am skimming over pages that have articles on lightroom it is like advertisement to me because i do not own it so i just flip the pages. At this point i would rather see two magagines one devoted to pse and one devoted to lightroom. I realize i am not on the business end and this may not be feasible to do. But it does kinda take the air out of the balloon when i excitedly open my magazine and the first thing i see is a lightroom article. In all fairness i will say i no longer have pse either i have cs5 but i continued my subscription because there was still much to learn and i just enjoy reading through a magazine like no other i have seen that relates to my hobby. My favorite section where it features all the wonderful photos of contributors.
Folks this is only my two cents - ok three cents

JUDY windows 7 pro- cs5 on 64bit os

Old September 6th, 2013, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Hi,

I understand that there's frustration from some folks about us writing anything about Lightroom.

I've noted elsewhere that the numbers of subscribers who've added Lightroom to their photo editing process has increased significantly in the last two years. We felt that it made sense to add an article about using Lightroom to the magazine, along with the occasional video or two.

In the past year, we have added pages to the magazine, so we can add more articles, not take some away to replace them with a Lightroom article. In the most recent issue (40 pages) issue for example, there is a 2-page article on Lightroom. The rest of the issue is _all_ about Elements, so it's hard for me to feel that we've become a 'Lightroom' magazine. (The Lightroom article probably should have been closer to the back, but sometimes we have to order things due to the layout of the book for the printer.)

[I think one of the big reasons for increased Lightroom use among Elements users is because of the Organizer. Every time we've done a survey, the Organizer is consistently ranked at the bottom of features used. We get lots of complaints about the Organizer, and when I look at the training videos we've created specifically for the Organizer, they rank very low in views. People really want a better tool for organizing their photos, and I think that's why they're buying Lightroom. When paired with Elements, it's a fantastic combination, and you can leave the weakest part of Elements behind. (That doesn't mean that people don't use the Organizer, but it's why I think so many readers have added Lightroom to their workflow.)]

Publishing a magazine is always a delicate balance, because you have to cater to a wide range of interests, and try to create compelling content so that readers want to keep subscribing. In the end, people vote with their wallets, and I try very hard to be understanding of that, and make sure that we create a readable, interesting magazine.

We will be doing another subscriber survey soon, and I'll make sure that we include questions not only about the content of the magazine, but what people are using for their primary image editing applications. But know that we are still centered on Elements. We've done lots of additional articles over the past few years on photography and similar topics, but it's all in the service of Elements as your primary photo editor.

We know that some folks want more scrapbooking articles, for example, but others don't want any at all, so we try to achieve a balance. Are we completely successful? Probably not, but we try hard with every issue.

I've been publishing magazines in one form or another for 30 years, and I still love reading a good magazine. I'd like to think that PET is still a good, interesting read, and that it's helpful overall to photo enthusiasts who want to create great images with Photoshop Elements and whatever other tools are important to them. I also understand that, for some people, that's not enough, and they don't want to continue to subscribe. I just hope that you've felt that you've gotten something useful from us in the time you've been with us.

Thanks for listening - I am too.

Rick

Old September 6th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Thanks, Rick. Good words. I appreciate the insights.

Old September 6th, 2013, 01:51 PM
Senior Contributor

I have used Elements since 2007, and Lightroom only for two years, I love the little bit of clarity that the LR info gives me.
Ron
Lenses: 50mm 1: 1.8 Prime , 18-70mm 3.5-4.5 AF-S G ED DX, 2 X 18-55mm 3.5 - 5.6 AF-S G DX VR, 55-200mm 4-5.6 AFS G ED DX, 55-300mm 4.5-5.6G ED DX VR & 18--300mm 3.5 - 5.6 AF-S G ED DX VR Sigma: 70-300mm 4-5.6 APO DG
PSE5/7/& 10, Premiere Elements 5/7/10, Lightroom 5 Perfect Photo Suite 8
Win
7(32Bit) on a Dell 17" Studio Laptop
and Win 7(64bit) on AMD 2.7Ghz Desktop with 12Gb Ram and 2Tb HDD