Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Lightroom

Old May 23rd, 2013, 11:56 AM
Casual Forum User

LR Catalog Backup

Here is my confusion about catalogs LR uses.

Read a lot and I am finding conflicting stories.

First how do you find the Backup Catalog in Windows 7?
Some reading says to go to Backup Catalog to backup LR4 photos.

Other readings say don't go to OS Backup Catalog but backup your Catalog in LR4.

What's going on?
I am trying to backup my catalog and all my recent changes to my external HD.

Eyes are tired trying to deal with this issue. Going to co and cut grass. I'll check in later.

Gordon
Old May 23rd, 2013, 05:53 PM
Frequent Contributor

Gordon,
As a first choice, you should use the Lightroom backup of the catalog. Within Lightroom preferences, you can set when to backup the catalog. Part of the reason for doing it through LR is that it will optimize and check the catalog for errors before making the backup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------
Andy

Cameras and lenses:
- Nikon D90 with Nikon AF-S 18-200 mm, Nikon 50mm f/1.8 D-AF
- Sony DSC RX-100

Software:
PSE12, LR5.2,
Perfect Photo Suite 8, Topaz PhotoFX, Adjust, Simplify, Clarity, ReStyle, Clean, DeNoise, Detail, Lens Effects
Computer:
-Win 7/64 Pro; Intel core i7-3770 (4@3.4Ghz), 32 Gb RAM
-Canon PRO-100 printer, Intuos4 Small tablet

He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which. - Douglas Adams
Old May 23rd, 2013, 07:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargenta1 View Post
Gordon,
As a first choice, you should use the Lightroom backup of the catalog. Within Lightroom preferences, you can set when to backup the catalog. Part of the reason for doing it through LR is that it will optimize and check the catalog for errors before making the backup.
Hi Gordon, You can also tell LR where to backup the catalog in case you ever need to go back to it. I back it up automatically every Friday onto my EHD where all of my image files are stored.

Life is too short to drink cheap wine!
Old May 24th, 2013, 12:22 PM
Casual Forum User

Thanks Joe and Andy.

Heading to Florida now. Will do my first backup down there. Hopefully.

G
Old May 25th, 2013, 02:25 AM
Senior Contributor

Important point to note - which you may already know - Backing Up your Catalog does not backup your images. These need to be done seperately just as you would any other special data.

Colin

Old May 25th, 2013, 08:51 AM
Frequent Contributor

Great point, Colin!

Andy

Cameras and lenses:
- Nikon D90 with Nikon AF-S 18-200 mm, Nikon 50mm f/1.8 D-AF
- Sony DSC RX-100

Software:
PSE12, LR5.2,
Perfect Photo Suite 8, Topaz PhotoFX, Adjust, Simplify, Clarity, ReStyle, Clean, DeNoise, Detail, Lens Effects
Computer:
-Win 7/64 Pro; Intel core i7-3770 (4@3.4Ghz), 32 Gb RAM
-Canon PRO-100 printer, Intuos4 Small tablet

He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which. - Douglas Adams
Old May 27th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Casual Forum User

Still have a question: When you do a backup within LR4 and you are only backing up changes then how are these changes stored?

Isn't a copy of the original photo being worked on or changed and that is what is being backed up in LR?

If I understand the process the original photo is not part of LR and that's why it needs to be backed up separately? My reasoning goes, if you lose all your original photos, and you have adjusted all those originals in LR, then you still have all your photos, just not the originals.

I am the type of person who likes to understand how the process works in total, not just pieces. That way, I better understand of the consequences of each action I take.

Hope I didn't confused the issue.

Gordon
Old May 27th, 2013, 09:17 AM
Frequent Contributor

LR only creates a recipe of instructions to be applied to each photo. It never touches the original, nor does it make any copies unless you sent the image to a external editor. You can make a virtual copy, but again, all that is is a copy of the recipe to that deveopment point, not of the image itself. When you Export from LR, the image is created in a viewable or usable format, using the recipe as edited to that point. It's assumed that when exporting, the image is intended to be transferred promptly to point of use, not normally saved for archival purposes.

Old May 27th, 2013, 10:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Just to expand on that a little more.

1. Using the Import dialog in LR, the images get loaded onto your hard drive in the location of your choice as determined by the settings you use during import.

2. The image locations and previews are stored in your LR Catalog and are visible in the Library Module. But the originals are not part of LR.

3. When you do your processing the figures you use e.g exposure, clarity, noise, sharpening etc are stored in the LR Database and referenced to the image in question. The original image file is not changed.

4. When you back up the catalog you are making a duplicate of the Catalog and Database but not the original images.

5. LR re-applies the processing you made for the image when you open it in LR again. If you delete the original or it's lost then this cannot take place and you're stuck. (Actually there is a plug-in that allows a jpeg to be extracted from the Library Preview but its not the original)

6. Because of #5 you need to backup your images seperately

Hope this helps.

Colin

Old May 27th, 2013, 07:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Great explanations by Rick and Colin. Just as an added thought, the LR catalog can be thought of as a card catalog in your local library. If the library should lose all of the books but still have the card catalog, they can no longer process those books (Lend them out). If they had a 2nd copy of every book stored in a cave in Iron Mountain along with a 2nd copy of the card catalog, they would still be able to function if the library were damaged or destroyed. As Rick and Colin stated, the Catalog contains not only the location of the image, it contains a viewable thumbnail of the image and all of the LR instructions (recepies) needed to change the view to what you have created.

I my previous post, I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Kostoss View Post
Hi Gordon, ...I back it (LR catalog) up automatically every Friday onto my EHD where all of my image files are stored.
My LR catalog is normally kept on my computer HD. By backing up my catalog onto the same EHD (EHD1) as my images, that EHD now contains all my images and the LR Catalog. When I backup my EHD1 to EHD2, EHD2 now has copy of both the images and the catalog. I use "SuperDuper" to perform an incremental backup of EHD1, meaning that only the files that have changed on EHD1 are changed on EHD2, a process that normally takes a minute or 2. If I have not downloaded any new images to EHD1 or made any new files with CS6, the only file that has changed on EHD1 might be the LR catalog.

In my case, I am making the EHD2 a clone of the EHD1, so if an image is deleted on the EHD1, it becomes deleted on the EHD2 also. It is also possible to backup rather than clone so that nothing is ever lost, but that takes a lot more EHD space and is not worth it for my workflow.

Life is too short to drink cheap wine!