Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old July 22nd, 2012, 09:57 PM
New Forum User

I'm a minister so I couldn't get back on till now! I do appreciate every one who is trying to help me! My problem is I have tried tiling, and got the two pictures tiled side beside, but do you think I could drag one into the other? NO! There was a great video tutorial on this and I followed it to a tee! With no luck! Then I learned to extract using "Magic Extractor" and I learned how to doctor it up so it looks good, but for the life of me, I cannot get another background on to the panel way over to the right where the layer 1 is and get a background under neath at the same time. When I click on one, the other disappears. Have you ever heard the expression, "It can make a preacher want to cuss"! Well, I don't cuss, but I'm close to it! I have put 8 or 9 hours solid on this and nothing works! I'm beginning to think that my download of elements 10 is bad! I have gotten the crawling ants around my image and went to Edit, and hit copy, then opened up my other photo and hit edit and Paste, and nothing! (Sigh) Maybe I can learn how to "Mask"!
Old July 22nd, 2012, 11:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by quailbird View Post
. . . but for the life of me, I cannot get another background on to the panel way over to the right where the layer 1 is and get a background under neath at the same time. When I click on one, the other disappears.
quailbird,

Do not give up! You are almost there.

I think the key to solve this puzzle lies in what you said in the quote above. This should not be happening, if you were dragging one image onto the other in the workspace.

See if this example will help you.

I open two images. I am using the Tile mode; the two images are displayed in the workspace side by side. My goal is to place the Gradient Art image on the green background. The first thing I do is click on the Gradient Art image to activate it. If you look in the Layers panel, you will see the layer thumbnail for this image.

Note: Even if you have two images displayed in the workspace, the Layers panel will only show the layer thumbnail for the active image. For example, if I click on the green background image to activate it, the thumbnail in the Layers panel will change accordingly, i.e., the one for the green background will now be displayed.

Next I activate the Move Tool and (in the workspace) I drag the Gradient Art image over to the green background. That's it!

Note: Check the Layers panel. It reflects what just happened. It shows two layers -- the Gradient Art with the green background underneath it.

PSE7,10,11,12 (Windows 7 64-bit)

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." -- Mark Twain

Last edited by Sepiana; July 23rd, 2012 at 01:30 AM.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 02:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi quailbird,

Welcome to the village forum. Glad to have you with us.

Quote:
Now, I want to place that image into another background! When I open up another background, I see both photos down at the bottom on my elements but only one over in the right where the layers are! When I try to put the background over there, my main picture disappears!
In his last sentence
Quote:
When I try to put the background over there, my main picture disappears!
I think, when he says "over there" - he is referring to putting or pasting the object over in the layer panel and not on the background in the full edit area.

Now, I may be entirely wrong when I read that, but to me it just seemed like he was trying to move the baby into the car background by way of the layer panel or pallet and not the car background - in the Full Edit area.

I may be reading something more into his post, but I hope I'm not.

Since he can obtain the baby (he has the marching ants) and he can use the move tool on the baby - now it's just a matter of moving the baby into the car that is located in the full edit area - not into the layer panel area.
Dragging or copying and pasting the baby into the car in the full edit area should work.

Let us know if I am blowing smoke or that my smoke signals were just what you needed. Hope, I was right. I kinda put myself out on a limb - so to speak and hope I'm right in my thinking.

Regards,

Jim
Old July 23rd, 2012, 02:43 AM
Senior Contributor

That's why I said in my previous post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepiana View Post
quailbird,

Do not give up! You are almost there.

I think the key to solve this puzzle lies in what you said in the quote above. This should not be happening, if you were dragging one image onto the other in the workspace.
The screen shots I attached in my previous post should clear up the confusion.

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." -- Mark Twain

Last edited by Sepiana; July 23rd, 2012 at 03:25 AM. Reason: Fix sentence.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 07:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Jim - I got the same vibe from his comment, i.e., that he is trying to drag/drop onto the layers panel. I think Sepiana's screenshots will solve his confusion.

To really confuse the matter, you can drag/drop one or more layers from the layers panel onto another project tiled in the edit screen. You just cannot drag/drop between layers panels. Maybe he used to do it that way and that's why he's confused.
Epson R1900; Epson NX430 Printers
Nikon Coolpix S8200 Camera

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 09:06 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats4jan View Post
To really confuse the matter, you can drag/drop one or more layers from the layers panel onto another project tiled in the edit screen. You just cannot drag/drop between layers panels. Maybe he used to do it that way and that's why he's confused.
Janice,

To confuse the matter even further, you can drag/drop from the Project Bin to the workspace and this wouldn't require the display arrangement to be in the Tile mode. However, if quailbird is trying to drag from the Project Bin to the Layers panel, this may explain the remarks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by quailbird View Post

I do not necessarily want to tile two photos!

When I open up another background, I see both photos down at the bottom on my elements . . .

When I try to put the background over there, my main picture disappears! When I click the the main baby picture, my background goes away!

Old July 23rd, 2012, 09:48 AM
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the tip. I'm not the OP, but I've been following this thread. I had always before just made a selection, put it on its own layer with Ctrl+J in the source .psd, then copy and paste to the base image, which seems to work just about the same, now that I think about it. The only advantage I can see is that you already have to move tool active so you just position it where you want to, whereas I have to then switch to the move tool. But using the copy/paste method you have the selection on the clipboard so you can paste it as many times as you like.

I also like having some subjects on their own layer with a transparent background because it makes them easy to select and copy or move to multiple background images. For instance, it's fast and easy to add one or two seagulls to a beach landscape that way, or add a full moon into an evening landscape.

(You really didn't think that beautiful moon was always just there, did you? )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Preeb; July 23rd, 2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 10:22 AM
New Forum User

Guys and Gals, I'm back on my computer so I'll be trying all these tips, and once again, a big thanks for the help! What exactly is the "Move Tool"! Maybe that is what I'm missing here!
Old July 23rd, 2012, 10:40 AM
Senior Contributor

Definitely do not give up you will get there.
Here is the move tool.
move tool.jpg

JUDY windows 7 pro- cs5 on 64bit os

Old July 23rd, 2012, 10:46 AM
Known Forum User

Good Morning

Here is a video concerning the move tool.

Keep the suggestions above foremost in your mind . This little video shows you the basics of the move tool, and what it will, and will not do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urM1ncO5KqU