Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old May 20th, 2012, 04:21 AM
New Forum User

adding images/patterns to shapes

I've been trying to find a tutorial on how to add an image/pattern to a shape.

I found a picture of what I want to achieve, but have no idea how to do it. I assume I can use the custom shapes in PSE, but would also like to learn how to turn an actual image of a bird or flower into a shape, then add an image/pattern to that.

Here's a link:
http://colorbakery.com/blog/2012/05/...butterfly-art/
Old May 20th, 2012, 06:07 AM
Senior Contributor

As far a I know you can only create custom shapes with the full version of Photoshop.

You could make a brush and use this as it was a custom shape. Here is a tutorial on making brushes.

To accomplish the effect you linked to you can use two methods.
Choose a picture.
Create a new blank layer and apply a custom shape (foreground color is set to black). Simplify the layer.
Put a new picture on top and clip it in the black shape. (Press ctr-g).

Background layer
Create a new blank layer and apply a custom shape / foreground color black.
Go to Layer>New fill layer>pattern. Choose a pattern and clip it into the custom shape.

Hope this helps

PSE 12 / Elements XXL / Windows 7 / Lightroom 5 / Photomatix Pro 5 / Topaz bundle / Perfect Photo Suite 8
Nikon D7000 with fixed and zoom lenses from 10.5 mm - 400 mm

The perfection is not achieved in one pass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old May 20th, 2012, 06:09 AM
Senior Contributor

To fill a shape with a photo or scrapbooking background paper:

Drag or copy/paste a photo or background paper or whatever you want to clip to your shape ABOVE the shape and while holding down the alt key and the left mouse key, hover your mouse between the two layers in the layers palette. When you see the lock icon, let go and your two layers will be clipped together.

Or as hans as already suggested - use control g to clip the items together.

For some reason, I got in the habit of using alt click to clip, but it seems control g is easier. Just be sure to be on the top layer when you hit control g

If you draw your shape with the shape tool, you will not have to simplify your shape layer to accomplish this. However, If you want to merge the two layers, you will have to use "merge visible" because "merge down" will not be available unless the shape layer is simplified.

Merge visible is tricky if there is more than your two layers on your project, so the easiest way to make this work is to always simplify the shape layer.

You can also do this with text. Same "simplify" parameters apply.
Epson R1900; Epson NX430 Printers
Nikon Coolpix S8200 Camera

Last edited by cats4jan; May 20th, 2012 at 06:50 AM.
Old May 20th, 2012, 06:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Hans - you may not be able to make custom shapes, per se, in PSE, but you can create custom shapes by combining shapes that come with PSE. Or you can draw with the pencil tool and fill it with solid color. Or you can make a selection from any photo and put it on it's own layer using control j.

Then save them as pngs.

Or you can install shapes you acquire from others.

gnp - Any png or selection can be filled with black to become a custom shape.

For a selection - make your selection using one of the selection tools, put it on it's own layer by using control j. (This, in essence, works like a png because it's surrounded by transparency.

Follow the steps below to create a shape. It's the same procedure you would use for something that is already a png.

For a png - make a selection of the outer edge by control clicking on the thumbnail of the png in the layers palette and use layer> new fill layer> solid color to make your shape.

Save it as a png - with a new name - so as to not copy over your original png.

I understand these aren't custom shapes available to use with the shape tool, but it is no more difficult to grab a png from your files than it is to draw one with your custom shape tool.

FYI -
png is a format unlike jpg. When something is saved as a png, it keeps it's surrounding transparency. If you save this same item as a jpg, the jpg format will fill your transparent areas around your shape with white - negating the work you did to make a selection.

Last edited by cats4jan; May 20th, 2012 at 06:51 AM.
Old May 20th, 2012, 06:23 AM
Senior Contributor

I like to add something.
When I applied a brush to a white layer I couldn't clip a picture into it at once. I deleted the white space and filled the shape with black. After that I could clip a picture into it.

On the internet you can find silhoutte brushes with all kind of shapes. Humans, birds, flowers and so on.

This is an example.

PSE 12 / Elements XXL / Windows 7 / Lightroom 5 / Photomatix Pro 5 / Topaz bundle / Perfect Photo Suite 8

Old May 20th, 2012, 06:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats4jan View Post
Hans - you may not be able to draw custom shapes, per se, in PSE, but you can create custom shapes by combining shapes that come with PSE. Or you can draw with the pencil tool and fill it with solid color. Or you can install shapes you acquire from others.

Plus any png can be filled with black to become a custom shape. Just make a selection of the png and use layer> new fill layer> solid color to make your shape.
Janice I agree. Combining shapes is creative and fun to do.
Thanks for the text about the png. I learned something again.

Old May 20th, 2012, 07:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Can't take credit for the "combining shapes" idea - I'm sure I learned it here. However, I am amazed at how easy it is to create interesting new shapes when you combine.

As for the brush/white background problem? Just don't start with a background. I am now in the habit of opening all new projects with a transparent background. When you open a new project, the choices in "background contents" are: White or transparent or background color. I always choose transparent.

I've changed my checkerboard pattern to something less annoying so that using transparency as my bottom layer isn't intrusive. I use a smaller checkerboard and a lighter color for the squares. These parameters can be changed under edit> preferences> transparency. You can choose the two colors that make up your checkerboard pattern or use one of their choices.

Last edited by cats4jan; May 20th, 2012 at 07:32 AM.
Old May 20th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Can't take credit for the "combining shapes" idea - I'm sure I learned it here. However, I am amazed at how easy it is to create interesting new shapes when you combine.

As for the brush/white background problem? Just don't start with a background. I am now in the habit of opening all new projects with a transparent background. When you open a new project, the choices in "background contents" are: White or transparent or background color. I always choose transparent.

I've changed my checkerboard pattern to something less annoying so that using transparency as my bottom layer isn't intrusive. I use a smaller checkerboard and a lighter color for the squares. These parameters can be changed under edit> preferences> transparency. You can choose the two colors that make up your checkerboard pattern or use one of their choices.
I saw a nice demonstration of combining shapes (dingbats) by Diana Day on the site Photoshopelementsuser.com.
(http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com...with-dingbats/ and
http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com...ngbat-graphic/)

Now I have read your MO of starting a project my intention is to use the altered transparent background. It is more pleasant to the eye. Thanks again.

Old May 20th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Or you can install shapes you acquire from others.
And you can acquire lots and lots of custom shapes here.

The Ultimate Collection Of Photoshop Custom Shapes

PSE7,10,11,12 (Windows 7 64-bit)

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." -- Mark Twain
Old May 20th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Sepiana, thanks. That is a great collection.