Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old March 28th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Frequent Contributor

Crop tool

Probably another stupid question...

The help manual says the crop tool is in the toolbox (or whatever term they use) -- they even show the cute little crop tool icon. But I sure can't find it. I can get to a crop tool in guided edit mode, but isn't it available in full edit mode?

And in a side note: Howcum this area isn't called Photoshop Elements 7/8/9/10 Questions and Answers?
Old March 28th, 2012, 02:29 PM

The crop tool is nested together with the Recompose tool. If you tap the C key on your keyboard it should cycle between these two nested tools. Does that help?

Click
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for my blog
I'm also on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(want an invite?)
Click
for some of my free textures

Mac OS 10.9
PSE13, CS6, PSCC
Lightroom 5

Canon 5DmII, EF 24-105mm f/4L USM, EF 135mm f/2.0L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
Old March 28th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Frequent Contributor

Thanks, Julie. Found it. Kinda makes sense there. A little.

On another unrelated note: is it just me, or is he search tool on this site sort of of useless. I just did a search on "vignettes", and whike the first result was pertinent, (although useless to me, since it showed a method involving a "Fun Edits" category in guided edits, which has apparently disappeared in v. 10) the others had absolutely nothing to do with vignettes. So, any pointers on quick and easy vignettes?

TIA.
Old March 28th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Senior Contributor

The search function looks for threads where the search word has been used. A search for "vignettes" will find all threads with this word in it. The actual post may or may not be about vignettes, but the word does appear in that thread. BTW, try searching for "vignette" rather than "vignettes". It can make a big difference in the number of threads found.

Life is too short to drink cheap wine!
Old March 29th, 2012, 02:25 AM
Enlightened Elder

Hi ...

Regarding the Photoshop Elements 7/8/9 issue ..

Originally it was called Photoshop Elements questions then some of the forum members though it would be a good idea to add a number to it. Must admit I didn't at the time and I still don't. My thoughts are:

If there is a version number then it needs updating every time there is a new version.

If people have older versions they then think the forum doesn't cover it (and of course it does).

Basically I think having version numbers in the titles just confuses folks

Wendy

"

Old March 29th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Kostoss View Post
The search function looks for threads where the search word has been used. A search for "vignettes" will find all threads with this word in it. The actual post may or may not be about vignettes, but the word does appear in that thread. BTW, try searching for "vignette" rather than "vignettes". It can make a big difference in the number of threads found.
Joe -

Thanks for the response, but I was talking about searching the main website, not the forums. Should have made that clearer.
Old March 29th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Senior Contributor

My answer holds for most search functions, if you search for the plural, you will usually get only the plural. If you search for the singular, you will usually get both.

Life is too short to drink cheap wine!
Old March 30th, 2012, 05:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
So, any pointers on quick and easy vignettes?

TIA.
Take a look at Be Creative #193 - the link leads to a tutorial showing seven or eight different ways to create a vignette.

Bayla

and

Old March 30th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi Major Major,

At the PET site a combination of search terms --"vignette", "add vignette", and "create vignette"-- will yield the results below.

Making Effective Vignettes
Editing and Creating a Vignette Effect
The Boom Vignette
Portrait Finishing Touches
Create Three Classic Film Looks

To make our lives easier Pete (Zeria) and Bruce (bnk1953) have created these indexes.

PET Tutorials
PET Magazine

PSE7,10,11,12,13 (Windows 7 64-bit)

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." -- Mark Twain
Old March 30th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepiana View Post
Hi Major Major,

At the PET site a combination of search terms --"vignette", "add vignette", and "create vignette"-- will yield the results below.
Not for me. What exactly are you entering in the search box? When I just now entered "vignette", I got the one relevant article I mentioned previously and the rest were on entirely different topics. When I just entered "add vignette" and then "create vignette", all I got was unrelated results.

But thanks, Sepiana, for the links, and especially for the indexes. They should be very helpful!