Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Lightroom

Old April 2nd, 2012, 07:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
When I convert a catalog now my hierarchy comes in fine but LR also converts any captions I have on my pictures to keywords.
I have never heard of this happening. Exactly how are you doing this conversion? What version of LR and operating system are you using? Can you post a screen capture of a photo whose caption has wound up as a keyword, showing the Metadata Panel and the Keywording Panel?

Quote:
I don't want this and I am a heavy user of captions. I cannot remove the captions so I need to find the option not to import the captions as keywords.
There is no such option. When importing, you get all the metadata, you can't select only certain fields.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Photos
Old April 2nd, 2012, 08:06 AM
Known Forum User

I'll send you screen shots later on, may not be until tomorrow.

This is what I did. I copied my set of photos to a new folder, stripped off the meta data tags(I thought this was the problem). Created a new LR4 catalog. Imported the stripped photos into LR4. Went to library and had all sorts of keywords that should not have been there. I picked a keyword out that had one picture and was rather a unique keyword. Looked at the meta data for that picture and the caption field had 6 words in it, looked back at the keyword list and all 6 were checked. I am converting from PSE8 to LR4.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 08:11 AM
Senior Contributor

You want to upgrade your PSE catalog. Use File > Upgrade Photoshop Elements Catalog. Try this, and no need to send screen shots at this time.

You do not want to import photos into LR. This is not the way to go. If you use the Upgrade command, you can probably delete the catalog created for importing photos.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Photos
Old April 2nd, 2012, 08:30 AM
Known Forum User

I did the conversion originally with the Upgrade option and that is where it all started. I have spent a lot of time trying to figure out where these keywords are coming from, hence all my testing and my conclusions. See note #31.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 08:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I did the conversion originally with the Upgrade option and that is where it all started. I have spent a lot of time trying to figure out where these keywords are coming from, hence all my testing and my conclusions. See note #31.
When you upgrade the PSE catalog, you only need to get rid of the unwanted keywords once, or move them to the proper location in the hierarchy one time. After that, you're good to go. Based on what you have said, this seems to be the easiest way to clean up your keywords, and then begin using Lightroom. Importing the photos isn't the way to go.
Photos
Old April 2nd, 2012, 08:56 AM
Known Forum User

I have in my main catalogs 60k-80k of pictures. Many have captions. If I would convert, each picture under every keyword would need to be looked at to determine is the keyword came from the caption or the catalog(not sure I can even determine this).

For now, unless someone has a solution, I can only see using LR4 for future work that does not fit into my current catalog structure.

I just don't understand why Adobe is taking the captions and creating keywords from them. This makes no sense to me.

Thanks for trying to help.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 09:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I have in my main catalogs 60k-80k of pictures. Many have captions. If I would convert, each picture under every keyword would need to be looked at to determine is the keyword came from the caption or the catalog(not sure I can even determine this).

For now, unless someone has a solution, I can only see using LR4 for future work that does not fit into my current catalog structure.

I just don't understand why Adobe is taking the captions and creating keywords from them. This makes no sense to me.

Thanks for trying to help.
I have never heard of this particular bug before ... of all the upgrade problems that I have read, this is one I haven't seen ... so I am skeptical. I guess I would like to see a screen capture of this, from the LR catalog that was created by the Upgrade PSE Catalog option. I would also like to see the metadata for the same photo from the PSE catalog.

I strongly doubt that Adobe is converting captions to keywords.

You wouldn't have to go to every photo and delete keywords photo by photo. You could delete them globally, if they are not a keyword currently used in your PSE hierarchy, and the whole process would probably take less than 1/2 hour.
Photos

Last edited by dj_paige; April 2nd, 2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 10:57 AM
Known Forum User

I'll try to get back to this with the info. I spent 2.5 days on and off working on LR and never got past the library module. Right now I am fed up with it. I'll see how my time is next weekend. This week is getting crowded with commitments.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 01:08 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't really need the screenshots if you are willing to try this advice on the catalog created from File->Upgrade Photoshop Elements Catalog.

Quote:
You wouldn't have to go to every photo and delete keywords photo by photo. You could delete them globally, if they are not a keyword currently used in your PSE hierarchy, and the whole process would probably take less than 1/2 hour.
I still think this is the best way to proceed.
Photos
Old April 3rd, 2012, 06:02 AM
Known Forum User

OK. I am more civil not. Went out and did yardwork for a few hours, go rid of a lot of frustration(really helps to accomplish yardwork).

I am tired of chasing this down. I will take my test catalog and delete all the random keywords then play with it for a while to see if I notice anything weird.

FYI. I took a clean picture from my camera, put it in a new PSE catalog and got a keyword "QR Codes" created(no picture with it) when I took it to LR. I think Adobe has something flaky with it's processing.

I just don't have the time to do this. I thought it would be a reasonably clean conversion and just am frustrated with the whole process. I really want to go to LR, everyone says such great things about it but conversion is/will be time consuming which I wasn't expecting.

I'll play with my test catalog a little and see how I feel about it. I may only use LR when I need to build a new catalog and just leave the others in PSE at this time. At this point I feel LR lends itself to new catalogs, not converting from PSE.