Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Lightroom

Old March 12th, 2012, 01:57 AM
Known Forum User

Need to move catalog folder

I abandoned Lr when I took up with CS5; having been told by an authority that I only needed CS5. I have since learned better so have returned to Lr, to give it another chance.

I created a new Catalog and imported all my images from Bridge but I created the catalog in "My Pictures" folder. That was a mistake; now it's just underfoot, in with all my images.

How do I move this new catalog out of "My Pictures", and into "My Documents" without messing everything up?

Win7, 64-bit, 6GB RAM, Intel 2 Quad CPU Q8200 @2.33GHz
Lr 4.3, CS5, Premiere Elements 11
Canon 60D
Elements Tech Subscriber

Member NAPP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."
Dalai Lama
Old March 12th, 2012, 03:21 AM
Known Forum User

I don't have LR but I would think you could just copy it and point LR to where it is. This is just a guess on my part.
Old March 12th, 2012, 06:06 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecox View Post
I abandoned Lr when I took up with CS5; having been told by an authority that I only needed CS5. I have since learned better so have returned to Lr, to give it another chance.

I created a new Catalog and imported all my images from Bridge but I created the catalog in "My Pictures" folder. That was a mistake; now it's just underfoot, in with all my images.

How do I move this new catalog out of "My Pictures", and into "My Documents" without messing everything up?
Mike,

If you are going to use LR, you no longer browse your folders or manage your photos in Windows. You launch LR from the Lightroom icon, and you browse for your photos and manage photos from within LR. Problem solved. No longer is the catalog file "underfoot".
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Photos

Last edited by dj_paige; March 12th, 2012 at 06:10 AM.
Old March 12th, 2012, 07:38 AM

Mike,

I keep my catalog in the same directory as my photos are stored and it presents ZERO problems for me. Once you begin using LR, you should see that it isn't really that important where it is located.

But, if you really do want to move the catalog from the default location, you can find information here that should help:

http://www.digital-photography-schoo...htroom-catalog

Click
for my blog

Mac OS 10.9
PSE12, CS6, PSCC
Lightroom 5

Canon 5DmII, EF 24-105mm f/4L USM, EF 135mm f/2.0L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM

Last edited by JulieM; March 13th, 2012 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Corrected typo
Old March 12th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Known Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecox View Post
I abandoned Lr when I took up with CS5; having been told by an authority that I only needed CS5.
Some authority! Suggest you disregard this one or at least take further pronouncements from them with a grain of salt (or two).

As to location, I moved my Lr catalogue from My Pictures (which is where Lr wants to put it) to a folder under My Documents - subfoldered as Lightroom. In fact I use 2 catalogues - one for my stuff and one I use once a month for my local camera club.

Yeah, I know, could put them together, but don't want to. My camera club one is used for the months submissions, held for a couple of months, then I delete the images from L2 and from my hard drive.
Old March 12th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Known Forum User

[QUOTE=dj_paige;618510]Mike,

Quote:
If you are going to use LR, you no longer browse your folders or manage your photos in Windows.
Sometimes I do, though at great risk

Quote:
You launch LR from the Lightroom icon, and you browse for your photos and manage photos from within LR. Problem solved.

No longer is the catalog file "underfoot".
au contraire

See the attached screenshot.

I want to move it out of "My Pictures" into "My Documents" so it won't appear in my Lr tree.

If I move it how do I point Lr to it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Catalog in tree.jpg (34.9 KB, 6 views)

Win7, 64-bit, 6GB RAM, Intel 2 Quad CPU Q8200 @2.33GHz
Lr 4.3, CS5, Premiere Elements 11
Canon 60D
Elements Tech Subscriber

Member NAPP

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."
Dalai Lama
Old March 12th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Known Forum User

Mike,

Once moved to the new location in My Documents, start Lightroom, it will probably complain about cant find catalogue, then do a File, Open Catalog and navigate to My Documents and click on the one with the Lightroom3 Catalog (or Lightroom3 Catalog.lrcat) if you have file extensions showing.

Assumes you are using the Lr default name. After successfully opened, it will always open from that location.
Old March 12th, 2012, 04:19 PM

Actually you don't really need to move it if all you want to do is not have it show up - right click on it in the list and select remove and it takes it out of the list (but doesn't delete the folder)

Tony
Old March 12th, 2012, 04:29 PM

Mike,

Tony's correct that you can delete an empty folder from the folders panel in the Library module. But, I'm wondering how it got there in the first place as you should only see folders in the folders panel from which you have already imported images. If what is labeled there as "my new lr catalog" is your .lrcat, it shouldn't contain images so you couldn't have imported images from it. Or is that screen capture actually the panel that appears when you are importing images?

But, that is probably neither here nor there because you seem pretty determined to move it. To do that, you'll close LR and move the catalog folder using Windows. Then open LR and it will tell you it can't find the catalog. Click the button that says "Choose a Different Catalog" and a dialog will appear that gives you options of catalogs to open. Your newly moved catalog will not appear there (at least not in the new location), so click on the box at the bottom to "Choose a Different Catalog". You'll then navigate to the new location within My Documents and choose the .lrcat file, then click Open.

Click
for my blog

Mac OS 10.9
PSE12, CS6, PSCC
Lightroom 5

Old March 12th, 2012, 04:31 PM

Hey, Tony, correct me if I'm wrong on the point of the catalog folder normally not appearing in the Folders panel. Maybe I've totally missed something.

Click
for my blog

Mac OS 10.9
PSE12, CS6, PSCC
Lightroom 5