Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old March 9th, 2012, 02:25 AM
Known Forum User

Corel draw?

Boy, am I out of my depth on this one!
My daughter is having banners made from artwork I did long ago. Here is an edited version of theprinter's requirements:

4 colour process; pantone colours must be provided; TIFF at 300ppi to size; colour proofs must be provided; CMYK colour breakdowns as corel draw or they will recreate artwork to corel. (I've left out quite a bit but this is the essence)

Should I try to help her or give her a TIFF file which she can take to the printers? Naturally she is in a hurry!

I'm inclined to do the latter. Can anyone give me some advice please.

Cheers

Mike Hamerton retired troublemaker
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PSE 9 Windows 7
Old March 9th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Senior Contributor

a guess...

I am not a printing expert but here is my best guess at an answer.

I would be tempted to create a TIFF and then ask them how much they would charge to convert the existing image to meet their specifications.

To save them a step, when you create the TIFF in PSE, make it at 300dpi which is easy to do (Image>Resize>Image Size). If possible at the same time resize it to the correct size required for the banner. You will need to select "Resample Image" to change both the dimensions and the DPI. Enlarging the image may degrade it and make it pixelated. If this happens, Ctrl Z to undo the changes and then do it again without resampling the image.

If they recreate the artwork for you I think means that they will
guess the colours of the artwork and it may not be a perfect colour match to the original. Can you live with that? Again, I would phone them and ask if they can sample the image to get the Pantone colours.

I hope that helps (and I think the printers should have been more helpful!)

Ivor
Old March 10th, 2012, 12:14 PM
Known Forum User

Corel draw

Hullo Ivor.
Thank you for your prompt and sensible reply.
You are right. All these technical details about colour charts and full size images is not my problem. I think the printer has forgotten what a customer is! Can you imagine a 10ft by 18" 300ppi tif file?

I shall make a 12" long image with sharp transitions saved as a 300ppi tif and he can carry on from there.

I'm going to stick with images that I know about.

Cheers

Mike Hamerton retired troublemaker
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PSE 9 Windows 7
Old March 10th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Please post how you get on with the printers. It will be interesting reading.

Thanks and good luck,

Ivor