Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Lightroom

Old March 8th, 2012, 06:21 AM

Lightroom 4: Tone Curves from LR3.6 not carrying across

*Sigh* I should probably stop poking around in LR4 for fear I'll find more bugs. This one didn't jump out at me initially but LR4 did not retain custom tone curve settings when converting my LR3.6 catalog. Has anyone else noticed this? All you need to do to check is find an image in LR3 to which you made tone curve adjustments before you converted your catalog to LR4 and then open LR4 and see if the adjustments came across. Apparently, this is a known issue and the development team is working on it. Here is a thread with more detail and a reply from Tom Hogarty, LR Product Manager:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photos...ve_adjustments

By the way, that forum on photoshop.com is apparently the proper place to submit bugs for LR4.

Mac OS 10.9
PSE12, CS6, PSCC
Lightroom 5

Canon 5DmII, EF 24-105mm f/4L USM, EF 135mm f/2.0L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM

Last edited by JulieM; March 8th, 2012 at 07:36 AM. Reason: added italicized bit
Old March 8th, 2012, 07:19 AM

Thanks Julie: That's a bad bug. I have been a bit cautious and will keep my 3.6 catalogs around for a while - I do like 4 but I can afford to wait a bit before moving over completely.

Tony
Old March 8th, 2012, 07:28 AM

I've had such good luck with the full releases in the past and was completely confident that Adobe would be releasing a product free of major bugs. I'm feeling pretty disillusioned now and will be a lot more cautious in future.

Mac OS 10.9
PSE12, CS6, PSCC
Lightroom 5

Old March 8th, 2012, 08:01 AM
Administrator

As more and more of these stack up, I think I, too will hang on a bit. No need to rush. Sorry you're taking the brunt of it Julie.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 8th, 2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrod View Post
As more and more of these stack up, I think I, too will hang on a bit. No need to rush. Sorry you're taking the brunt of it Julie.
My fault for being so eager.

Mac OS 10.9
PSE12, CS6, PSCC
Lightroom 5

Old March 8th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm typically a "marry in haste, repent at leisure" person (figuratively speaking) so I'll wait a bit longer before installing.

<sigh>

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old March 8th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Frequent Contributor

I installed it. Will probably wait for upgrade/fixes before using it. I will use it and the $79 deal was too good to pass up. I do apprecaite the warnings Julie is providing. Thanks1

Old March 8th, 2012, 11:04 AM

Deena - it's well worth playing around in it for a while anyway before leaping in and using it for serious stuff. That's what I've been doing with a temporary catalog. When I'm happy with it I'll convert over from 3.6 but only when I'm happy it will work as advertised (and I will likely be waiting until ACR 6.7 is available for Elements so they will work together)

Tony
Old March 8th, 2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspec01 View Post
I installed it. Will probably wait for upgrade/fixes before using it. I will use it and the $79 deal was too good to pass up. I do apprecaite the warnings Julie is providing. Thanks1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyW View Post
Deena - it's well worth playing around in it for a while anyway before leaping in and using it for serious stuff. That's what I've been doing with a temporary catalog. When I'm happy with it I'll convert over from 3.6 but only when I'm happy it will work as advertised (and I will likely be waiting until ACR 6.7 is available for Elements so they will work together)

Tony
Deena, I would give it a try. Who knows, you may not have the problems I'm having at all. Or, you could find entirely new ones. But, based on the issues I'm having and the myriad of other ones being reported at the Adobe forum, I would strongly recommend that you not convert your LR3 catalog yet. Instead, go with Tony's suggestion and make up a temporary catalog just to test. I am now planning on doing that so that I can continue to test the different features.

I received my boxed product in the mail today (was planning on installing it on my laptop too) but I may just hold off on that until I'm convinced that LR4 is largely bug-free. If I have to take advantage of the 30-day return policy, I will do that and either live with LR3 or think about Aperture.

Mac OS 10.9
PSE12, CS6, PSCC
Lightroom 5

Old March 11th, 2012, 05:48 AM
Casual Forum User

Hi All,

In case you haven't spotted it, the Product Manager (Tom Hogarty) has acknowledged this problem in the thread Julie linked and the team are working on it. I'm hopeful they will resolve this soon. Sorry you tripped over this issue Julie!

Thanks,
Matt

:
plugin for integrating Lightroom and Photoshop Elements Editor
User: PSE 3 to PSE 11, LR 2 to LR 5