Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Lightroom

Old March 7th, 2012, 05:00 PM

The catch with Elemental at the moment is that it will only open the 2010 version of the image and not any 2012 mods you have made in LR4. I'm not quite sure of the sidecar xmp file structure yet but from a first look it would seem that it can contain both 2010 and 2012 versions of the image so although you might be able to open the file it won't necessarily reflect the edits made in LR4 if you used the new process.

The only way to get an image into Elements at the moment with LR4 2012 edits is to render it in LR4 first which is what Edit In does - or you can just do it manually by exporting to a psd or tiff file and then open that in Elements

I think that's how it works but I'm still learning!

Tony
Old March 8th, 2012, 06:42 PM
Frequent Contributor

I found a fix on the Adobe forum that worked for me.
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/401/kb401629.html#products

It involves a registry edit, so it is not for everyone.

Please stop by my photo blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------
Andy

Cameras and lenses:
- Nikon D90 with Nikon AF-S 18-200 mm, Nikon 50mm f/1.8 D-AF
- Sony DSC RX-100

Software:
PSE12, LR5.2,
Perfect Photo Suite 8, Topaz PhotoFX, Adjust, Simplify, Clarity, ReStyle, Clean, DeNoise, Detail, Lens Effects
Computer:
-Win 7/64 Pro; Intel core i7-3770 (4@3.4Ghz), 32 Gb RAM
-Canon PRO-100 printer, Intuos4 Small tablet

He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which. - Douglas Adams
Old March 8th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Frequent Contributor

And strangely enough... even though the registry change I made was just for PSE10, it also fixed the problem for Topaz Fusion.

Please stop by my photo blog:

Andy

Cameras and lenses:
- Nikon D90 with Nikon AF-S 18-200 mm, Nikon 50mm f/1.8 D-AF
- Sony DSC RX-100

Software:
PSE12, LR5.2,
Perfect Photo Suite 8, Topaz PhotoFX, Adjust, Simplify, Clarity, ReStyle, Clean, DeNoise, Detail, Lens Effects
Computer:
-Win 7/64 Pro; Intel core i7-3770 (4@3.4Ghz), 32 Gb RAM
-Canon PRO-100 printer, Intuos4 Small tablet

He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which. - Douglas Adams
Old March 8th, 2012, 07:11 PM

Hi Andy,

I tried that fix (the Mac version) yesterday to no avail. But, I'm glad you've got it sorted out.

That solution may be somehow related to the temporary fix I learned about on the Adobe forum. For some, installing the trial version of either PSE10 or CS5 resolves the issue so that the Edit In command works for all the external editors (PSE, Topaz, Nik, etc...) I'm guessing the registry fix you did is something that the installers for PSE10 and CS5 do during the installation process.

Anyway, I downloaded the trial version of CS5 on my Mac and now the Edit In command is working for Photoshop Elements, Topaz, and Nik. I also downloaded the trial of PSE10 on my PC laptop and now Edit In works there too. I consider this a bandaid until Adobe can get their act together. I think I'll continue to use LR3 until it's all sorted out.

Click
for my blog
I'm also on
(want an invite?)
Click
for some of my free textures

Mac OS 10.9
PSE13, CS6, PSCC
Lightroom 5

Canon 5DmII, EF 24-105mm f/4L USM, EF 135mm f/2.0L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
Old March 8th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm letting Adobe fix this for me so I don't have to dig into the registry or go through all these other contortions. Yikes!

Old March 9th, 2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baycruisers View Post
I'm letting Adobe fix this for me so I don't have to dig into the registry or go through all these other contortions. Yikes!
Yep, that would be the sensible thing to do.

Click
for my blog
I'm also on
(want an invite?)
Click

Mac OS 10.9
PSE13, CS6, PSCC
Lightroom 5

Old March 9th, 2012, 05:40 PM
Frequent Contributor

After reading this I tried some "Edit In" tests (still LR3 - LR4 on disk is ordered but not arrived yet), and I'm thoroughly confused. Some images open just fine in PSE 10, but some have all options under the "Edit in" command greyed out and won't open. I've tried both .CR2 and .jpg and it seems that some .jpg files have an issue. All .CR2 files that I tried seemed to work. I have no clue why some of the .jpg's refuse to allow opening in the external editor.

Edit: Just thinking.... the .jpg's that wouldn't open were originally edited in PSE 9... it's still on this computer but isn't recorded as the default external Editor.... would that make a difference? Doesn't seem like it should.

(such as it is)

Last edited by Preeb; March 9th, 2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old March 9th, 2012, 05:50 PM

Hi Rick,

You may want to have a look at the link that Andy (sargenta1) posted earlier in this thread (Post #22). That Adobe knowledge base article was posted (or at least updated) when LR3 was the current version.

Click
for my blog
I'm also on
(want an invite?)
Click

Mac OS 10.9
PSE13, CS6, PSCC
Lightroom 5

Old March 9th, 2012, 05:54 PM

Hi Rick,

In response to your add-on question, I'd say no. You should be able to send jpegs to PSE10 even if they were first edited in another version. The issue you are having strikes me as very strange.

Click
for my blog
I'm also on
(want an invite?)
Click

Mac OS 10.9
PSE13, CS6, PSCC
Lightroom 5

Old March 9th, 2012, 07:04 PM

I just checked and some jpegs I think were edited in an earlier version opened up in PSE10 (from LR3). And I did just check and it also works fine in LR4. Unlike Julie my Edit in is working fine in LR4

Tony