Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Photography Discussions > Photography Equipment

Old March 5th, 2012, 12:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Send a message via AIM to victry1 Send a message via Skype™ to victry1
New Camera or New Lens?

I've been shooting with a Canon Rebel T1i for the last almost 3 years and I still have TONS to learn. However, I had started dreaming of upgrading. I even thought I had a shot at a 7D since I have an important (to me LOL) birthday coming up. But, the price went up quite a bit, so that's off the list. It's way more camera than I need but maybe I would grow into it. My Rebel is fine but I do get frustrated with the noise levels after ISO 800 and I would also like something with a little faster fps. I do find myself in a lot of low light shooting situations.

I picked up a secondhand 50D from B&H but didn't get a chance to try it out much as there was a problem with it and I had to send it back. One thing I liked about it was the grip, the fps rate and it's weatherproof. That was also an appeal with the 7D. The price on the 50D was right too.

I was reading on Dpreview about the 60D and it was recommended over a used 40 or 50 D. It does not have as fast a fps as the 50D or 7D and is not weatherproof.

At this point, I think I'm focusing on just learning as much as I can on the camera I have but maybe investing in a lens at some point.

I'd be interested in hearing other's POV. Thanks!

Eleanor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

iMac, PSE 11, CS5, iPhone 5S, Rebel T1i, Canon 7D,
Old March 5th, 2012, 05:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Since I shoot Nikon I can't comment on your camera choice; however I'm wondering what lenses you have, what lens you're considering and what you're interested in shooting.

Old March 5th, 2012, 07:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi Mario,

Well, here is a rundown:
18-55 kit lens.
70-300mm f4.5-5.6
50mm f1.8
Tamron 28-75mm f2.8
70-200mm f4 L
1.4 converter.

They are all Canon except for the Tamron. Mostly I shoot dogs, kids and birds, though I am trying to expand a bit, as I will never learn if I don't!

I recently rented a 400mm L to shoot eagles and it was nice. I appreciated the extra length and the quality of the glass. A lens like that has its limitations though so I thought I would also rent a Canon 100-400 and see how I liked that. In some ways I am leaning toward purchasing a Canon 70-200 f2.8 but I would also like to try that out as I can't afford the IS and I would want to be sure I could handhold it.

Eleanor

Old March 5th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Senior Contributor

You have a nice array of lenses covering wide angle to telephoto with overlap in between. Your teleconverter gives you extra reach, and although the results probably won't be as sharp as an expensive telephoto zoom at 400mm, you should still get some nice shots.

So, all that said, I'd go for the camera that has the features you want.

Old March 5th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for your input, Mario. After I wrote out the lenses, I realized I did have a good variety so an upgrade on the camera might be a good idea.

Eleanor

Old March 5th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Senior Contributor

The best advise I could give is go into a shop and try one (with your lenses) and download the images you take onto a laptop. Take your camera along too and compare, You may find that your camera might perform almost as well as many others in low light when you compare the images.

To play devil's advocate, do a search on Flickr for "500D Birds" and you will see that there are some pretty good images taken with your camera. And 3.4 frames per second for your current camera is still faster than most motor-winds that were ever available on film cameras. Do you really need 6fps? How many times have you missed the shot between the 0.29 of a second that your camera can reel of photos.

I think you should think about a faster long lens. You will get a better quality image of those birds, which are the hardest to shoot, and won't necessarily need to use ASA 800

Ivor
Old March 8th, 2012, 01:08 AM
Known Forum User

When in doubt, get both. My Nikon D800 is on pre-order and should be here before the end of March. I'm genuinely excited! My new Nikon 24-70mm F/2.8 AFS FX lens just arrived. The first thing I did was put its 77mm UV filter on for protection. At $1700 the $50 filter protects my investment.

This glass is huge! With the lens hood attached it's wide, long and heavy. On my present D7000 it feels really good in my big hands. I've always held SLR cameras with the barrel of the lens cradled on my left hand so the setup is balanced. The zoom ring being so close to the camera body is different but I'm sure it won't take me long to get used to. The lens focused really fast, so much so that it surprised me. I'm going to love the extra speed of this glass at F/2.8.

By luck we're supposed to have a sunny day tomorrow so I'm going to take the gear out to shoot some test shots. I took two shots inside my apartment, one at 24mm and the next at 70mm and checked the Exif data on the shots for focal length on the DX body. To my surprise it indicated 24mm and 70mm. Why was there no 1.5X multiplier?

I look forward to the arrival of the new D800 I ordered for this lens. I know my friends are shocked at the money I just spent on the new gear, nearly $5,000 with all the filters and memory cards. I have a 16Gig 600X CF card and an 8 Gig Class 10 SD card for the new camera. All is ready as I can use the 77mm CPL from my Tokina 11-16mm zoom on the new 24-70mm.

Old March 8th, 2012, 04:00 AM
New Forum User

nikon lens

I've been thinking about getting the 24-70 2.8 nikon lens. I do have the D7000. So how heavy is it and what do you think of it so far? Just a little nervous getting it at $1700.

Cheryl
Old March 8th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Administrator

Not to drift this too much further off the original topic, but Cheryl, a great way to go might be to rent the lens you're thinking of. You might have a local shop that will do this, or, if not, there are several online places who rent glass. A couple I'm familiar with are http://www.borrowlenses.com/ and http://www.lensprotogo.com/. I haven't used them personally but know people who have and have been pleased. It's an inexpensive way to test it out, and see if you like it. For example I rented the lens Bob was talking about from a local shop a couple years ago. Picked it up Friday afternoon, returned in Monday morning. Total cost: $30.

Ok, back to the original post: camera or lens, camera or lens...

Old March 8th, 2012, 11:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks very much for your feedback, Ivor. I appreciate your thoughts.

Bob, you crack me up! That is some lens! You must be quite strong to handle that! I may not even get anything at the moment but hopefully in the future. I recently rented a 400mm lens from Borrow Lenses. Boy, I was impressed. The lens they sent was like new! I liked the 400 but it did have some limitations. Next I am going to try out the 100-400mm. I don't think hubby will be surprising me with a camera. And that's ok. The more I learn the more I realize what I don't know. Lol. There's so much! Aiyee!

Eleanor