Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Photography Discussions > Photography Equipment

Old February 15th, 2012, 06:55 PM
Casual Forum User

Vacation lens

Recently, I bought my first D-SLR, an Canon T3. I supplemented it with a Lensbaby Muse. Right now, I'm enamored with it for all its creative possibilities--but in April, we're going on a 3 1/3 week camping trip down the East Coast to the Florida Keys. I'm going to want a lens that will be good for travel photography. I know I'm going to want some telephoto possibilities, but no doubt also something for landscapes. The camera came with a standard 18-55 lens. I'll have about $250 to spend on a new lens. What would be my best option?

Photo a Day (in theory)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old February 15th, 2012, 08:37 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfcoughlin View Post
Recently, I bought my first D-SLR, an Canon T3. I supplemented it with a Lensbaby Muse. Right now, I'm enamored with it for all its creative possibilities--but in April, we're going on a 3 1/3 week camping trip down the East Coast to the Florida Keys. I'm going to want a lens that will be good for travel photography. I know I'm going to want some telephoto possibilities, but no doubt also something for landscapes. The camera came with a standard 18-55 lens. I'll have about $250 to spend on a new lens. What would be my best option?
I am not a Canon owner but looking at the specs of your new DSLR and the $250 limitation I would seem to think that this lens is almost affordable. It is the Canon 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS II
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum..._is_ii#Reviews
You also should have a battery back-up (spare) and a few more SD cards.
Hope this helps.
Eddie

2010 blog:

Nikon D-750, 18-200 VR, 12-24 mm f/4, 50mm f/1.8,24-70mm f/2.8, 35-70 mm f/2.8, 24mm f/2.8, Micro 105mm f/2.8 D,70-200mm f/2.8G VR II, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR, SB-800, Capture NX-2, PSE 9, CS-6, LR-5, Kirk BH-3 Head, Canon Pro-9000, Epson 4180 Scanner
Old February 15th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Casual Forum User

Thanks--that sounds like what I'd need. I have a birthday coming up, so I can always ask for a contribution to the Lens Fund.

Photo a Day (in theory)

Old February 15th, 2012, 09:03 PM

I'm not a Canon owner either but a must lens when I travel is my 50mm 1.8 prime and Canon have one well within your budget. If it's anything like the Nikon one its small, discrete, super sharp and perfect for indoor shots in natural light.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum..._50mm_f_1_8_ii

Tony

PS And once you start it's hard to stop and when I travel I usually have lenses covering the range from 10mm to 300mm but I do like my 50mm and its the cheapest one I have and goes with me everywhere.

Last edited by TonyW; February 15th, 2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old February 15th, 2012, 09:14 PM
Frequent Contributor

I bought a Nikon 1.8 50mm prime, similar to Tony. I got it for my last vacation and was perfect when I didn't want the added size and weight of my larger zoom.

-----------------------------------------------
Andy

Cameras and lenses:
- Nikon D90 with Nikon AF-S 18-200 mm, Nikon 50mm f/1.8 D-AF
- Sony DSC RX-100

Software:
PSE12, LR5.2,
Perfect Photo Suite 8, Topaz PhotoFX, Adjust, Simplify, Clarity, ReStyle, Clean, DeNoise, Detail, Lens Effects
Computer:
-Win 7/64 Pro; Intel core i7-3770 (4@3.4Ghz), 32 Gb RAM
-Canon PRO-100 printer, Intuos4 Small tablet

-----------------------------------------------
He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which. - Douglas Adams
Old February 16th, 2012, 12:34 AM
Senior Contributor

I'll echo getting a 50, with your kit lens once you get there you are limited in your aperture. My cheap Tamron 18- 270 lens is fine with me but is still $600+ I got it with a big rebate but $ 400+ was a lot for me.

Used is an option but of course can be a hassle.

PET Gallery

Old February 16th, 2012, 08:02 PM

One catch with that 50mm is that it doesn't have a built in focus motor and that Canon camera doesn't have an in-camera motor. Not that having to manual focus is that big a deal but just so the OP is aware that that's one reason it's a very cheap (but very good) lens.

Tony
Old February 17th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Frequent Contributor

For me - my "vacation lens" is my Tamron 18-270. I choose this one because of where I go on vacations - usually National Parks and I want to be able to have in one lens the capabilities for wide to telephoto so that I don't have to carry extra equipment. I was in Isle Royale National Park last summer and met up with a guy on a trail. He had his big bag of numerous lenses that he was lugging around with him. We both saw the moose along the side of the trail ahead of us. While he was fumbling around to change his lens - I was able to get a number of pictures taken from wide to telephoto. The other guy got one taken before the moose was on his way. He was disappointed but was impressed with what the Tamron captured.
soooo. it all depends on where you are vacationing and what would really work well in that situation.
~bruce.
Mac Pro Quad Core w/ 4 internal HDs, macbook (white), ipod nano, ipod touch (2nd gen), Epson Artisan 810, epson workforce 40, epson photo R1900, 750 GB OWC Mercury Elite Hard drive external, fuji S602z, Nikon D90 w/ Tamron 18-270; Nikon D7100 w/ Nikon 18-300 lens. NewerTechnology 500GB external hard drive, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Old February 17th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Casual Forum User

I agree with BNK. I have a Sony NEX-5n, and got both the 18-55 and 55-210 lenses. While on a recent vacation, it was kind of annoying to switch between the two, especially at Disney's Animal Kingdom where you often need to take the shot now or never.

For the most part, we were in situations where the long lens worked for a while, then the short lens, etc. But those first minute or two when you realize you need to switch the lens can be aggravating.

Duplicating the 18-55 portion with the 18-200 may seem wasteful (And it's out of your budget), so the questions I have would be...

1) What kind of a vacation are you taking? Think about where you will be, what you will want to take pictures of, and how well your currrent lens would do.
2) Will you really need a longer lens, or just want something nicer than the kit lens to take a better picture with in the same range? The only lenses near your price range would be the 50mm 1.8 or the 55-210mm. It's likely you will rather have the 55-210 on vacation than the 50mm, but I could be wrong about how you would answer question #1
3) Are you willing to try and sell the kit lens to buy something to replace/augment it? Check with local camera store and see if they will do a trade in for the 18-200 and how much you'd get for it. You're not going to get much for your kit lens, so probably not worth springing for the 18-200 if you can't afford it, but all you can do is try, right?
Old February 17th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Casual Forum User

Thank you to everyone for your advice--I really appreciate it, as I am new to the D-SLR world. We camp on vacation and we try to do as many National Parks as possible. My husband turned 62 last year, so now he has his National Parks Pass for life. (A few years ago, we did make it to Isle Royale, but we were not lucky enough to see either a moose or a wolf...but we were delighted to have been there.) Because of the kind of things we see and that I want to photograph, I think I need a lens that is as flexible as possible. I love landscapes, but I want to be able to zoom in on wildlife as well. I do covet that Tamron 18-270. We're not leaving until April, so maybe I can hint that contributing to my lens fund would make a good birthday present. Other than that, the 55-250 will probably do fine. I certainly don't want to mess around with changing lenses--it would take the fun out of it, and that's the real point, isn't it?

Photo a Day (in theory)