Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > More > Elements Village Challenges

Old February 15th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Senior Contributor/IOW Coordinator

Be Creative 221......Creating a Collage with Linear Burn

As we are away, and I have the time now, I'm posting a day early. Going over the tut, I see that my example might not be the best illustration of the tut's effect. I'm thinking others might post a better example. But at least this gets us started!

For this week’s tutorial we are going to create a collage using the linear burn blend mode. As I have never used this blend mode before I thought this might be worth investigating. This tutorial is by Lesa Snider who first explains how linear blend differs from others in its category and can be found here

http://photolesa.com/tutorials/photo...inearburn.html

Although this tut doesn’t lend itself to a before/after as requested by Jim, I do have a copy of my layers panel in case that might be helpful. This is a fairly simple, straight forward tut. Lesa gives a link for creating a B/W seriagraph which is needed as your starter image. The problem I had was in finding backgrounds that wouldn’t overpower my main image. I finally decided to work with two additional layers and ended up creating one myself using brushes similar to the ones used in last week’s tut by Hans. My background was downloaded from morguefile.

Final image:

Everyone’s invited to join in the fun! If you should run into a problem, post back with your questions. Hope you have fun discovering how you might use the linear burn blend mode!

Canon 60D
Aperture 3
PE 11
Topaz Remask 3, Adjust 5, Lens Effects, Simplify NIK Silver Efex 2, HDR Pro2 and Color Efex

Last edited by HMCA; February 15th, 2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old February 15th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Send a message via AIM to victry1 Send a message via Skype™ to victry1
This looks like it has a lot of possibilites. Thanks for sharing all your steps there. Have fun wherever you're going! Somewhere nice and warm with white sandy beaches I hope.

Eleanor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

iMac, PSE 11, CS5, iPhone 5S, Rebel T1i, Canon 7D,
Old February 15th, 2012, 10:20 PM
Known Forum User

Here is my attempt

My Gallery

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams
Old February 16th, 2012, 02:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Looks good. I am looking forward to the moment I can do this.
Hans

PSE 12 / Elements XXL / Windows 7 / Lightroom 5 / Photomatix Pro 5 / Topaz bundle / Perfect Photo Suite 8
Nikon D7000 with fixed and zoom lenses from 10.5 mm - 400 mm

The perfection is not achieved in one pass.

Old February 17th, 2012, 07:50 AM
Frequent Contributor

Hello Everyone.
I did a couple versions of this.
Once I got the seriagragh, I put a parish paper BG behind it. Then on separate layers I planted each flower on, then distorted, Linear Burn mode. Added bevel to each one, drop shadow, and outer stroke.
Then added 2 onOne BG's, and onOne frame.
I have the before.

This was from her last birthday party last year. She was getting tired & cranky.
PSE 10, Lightroom 4.3
Windows 7 64-bit

PhotoShop Element's Rock's

"A photographer is like a cod, which produces a million eggs in order that one may reach maturity."
-George Bernard Shaw 26 July 1856-2 November 1950

Old February 18th, 2012, 12:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Mike and Frank - those are great! Frank, I love the background image as well!

Here's a 1960 DeSoto.

Thanks Helen ... that's a great blend mode for collaging.

Bill

Old February 18th, 2012, 03:22 AM
Casual Forum User

Helen TY!! Yours came out perfect!

My first try......

Patti Waggin'
Old February 18th, 2012, 07:01 AM
Senior Contributor

What a great way to compose colages.
I enjoyed the tut very much.
Thanks Helen,

Hans

PSE 12 / Elements XXL / Windows 7 / Lightroom 5 / Photomatix Pro 5 / Topaz bundle / Perfect Photo Suite 8
Nikon D7000 with fixed and zoom lenses from 10.5 mm - 400 mm

The perfection is not achieved in one pass.

Old February 18th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Known Forum User

Thanks, Helen, for sharing this tutorial!
There are so beautiful examples, so I HAD to give it a try, too:

Old February 18th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks, Helen! This is a very interesting technique.

PSE7,10,11,12 (Windows 7 64-bit)

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." -- Mark Twain