Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Lightroom

Old February 13th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Video_Thumbnailer.exe

I've got a tricky problem. Using LR3 and Vista, if I try to import any videos into catalogue I get a Windows dialogue box saying "video_thumbnailer.exe has stopped working" (and you cannot see the thumbnail for the videos, just the movie camera icon)

I also get a balloon message saying that Data Execution Prevention (DEP) has prevented video thumbnailer from working. Going to the DEP settings, when I try to turn DEP off for the video thumbnailer (which is located in C:\Program Files\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3.5) I get another dialogue box saying "This program must run with DEP enabled. You cannot turn off DEP for this program.

I have tried changing the DEP settings to work for essential Windows programs and services only, but to no avail.

I could live with the problem if if it happened only once per import, but the initial "video_thumbnailer.exe has stopped working" dialogue box reoccurs for every video files that it tries to import into the catalogue. I have just had to click the "close the program" button fifty times as I imported fifty videos with my photos.

Any thoughts of how to get around this? I would be happy for LR to ignore videos altogether, if that is possible.

Cheers

Ivor

p.s. if it means anything to you, the following is the problem signature:
Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BEX
Application Name: video_thumbnailer.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4e71c46f
Fault Module Name: StackHash_1883
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Offset: 643abb89
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Data: 00000008
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.2
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: 1883
Additional Information 2: 74a0180230bd14e12c088cdb08f3f85d
Additional Information 3: 37b6
Additional Information 4: 610647f172ea5b2743a20ffe91cee51e
Old February 16th, 2012, 06:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Okay, I know it is not good form to answer your own questions, but after playing around for a while I have come up with half a solution:

By slightly renaming the video_thumbnailer.exe (I added "_old" to the end of the name) file the video thumbnailer cannot start, and therefore cannot stop working so I no longer get the multitude of error dialogue boxes.

It does mean that I do not see a picture thumbnail in Lightroom for the videos, just a message where the thumbnail should be saying the image cannot be displayed, but I can live with this as I really only use LR for photos and don't do a lot of videos.

It doesn't explain why the video thumbnailer didn't work, and it would not be a good solution if I wanted to organise videos in LR, so I would still be interested if anyone can come up with a proper fix.

Thanks,

Ivor
Old February 16th, 2012, 07:13 AM

Hi Ivor,

I'm glad you posted a partial solution.......it may help someone else down the road. I'm wondering if you have tried the LR4 beta? It has enhanced video support so perhaps the problem with the video thumbnailer got sorted out.

Click
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for my blog

Mac OS 10.9
PSE12, CS6, PSCC
Lightroom 5

Canon 5DmII, EF 24-105mm f/4L USM, EF 135mm f/2.0L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
Old February 16th, 2012, 07:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks Julie,

I had tried it but it made no difference. I also decided that there wasn't enough there to warrant me spending lots of money that would be better spent on feeding my family!

LR4 Beta also mucked up my autoplay function so when I plugged in my memory cards the Import Using Lightroom 3 function did not work. Although I could see the option to use LR3, it would not work. I could only import using LR4 Beta. When I uninstalled LR4B, it still would not work until I installed the 3.6 update.

I use Vista, which is prone to problems like this. I might upgrade to Win7, or 8 when it comes out, to see if some of these issues disappear.

Cheers

Ivor