Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old February 11th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Known Forum User

quality slider question

Hi everyone, here is my question. When I edit my photo in pse10, I hit save as, choose the location where I want to save it and then another box opens and has the following: Image options: which lets me choose low medium high or maximum. there is also the slider that lets me choose small to large file and then as I'm sliding it I can see the numbers changing under the preview box.
Under that it has :format options:. baseline standard is already checked.
Can someone explain to me in simple terms what all this means. I've been looking everywhere to find this and even bought the "missing manual" book but can't find it there either. I'd really appreciate it. I was told on the Nikonian forum where I post a lot of my pictures that the slider was what allowed my exif data to be shown. I thought I always used it as a way of making sure my photos were of the correct size to be posted here:195 or on nikonian site at 150. That's what I always used the slider for, now I am stumped even more. Can someone please explain. Thankyou guys so much in advance....
Old February 11th, 2012, 06:12 PM

None of them are related to pixel size - you set that before you do the Save. What the slider does is change the compression of the JPEG which changes the file size. The more it's compressed the smaller the file size and the more the image has been "simplified" hence the term quality. Unless you set it really low (like less than 3) you'll rarely spot the difference. You can see the actual file size change on the right. If you have the histogram open at the same time you can see what it's doing to the image. At low quality (high compression) the histogram goes from a smooth curve to lines as the colors are simplified.

The format options have nothing to do with EXIF data - they control the way the image appears when you open it in a browser - one line at a time is the baseline one while progressive opens like a scan so you see the whole image quicky but as a fuzzy preview. These days it's I think most browsers handle all formats so it shouldn't matter, The baseline optimized gives slightly smaller files without imapcting quality.

If you're posting to sites and don't want to include the EXIF data (which does add to the file size) use Save For Web instead. That strips it out.

Tony
Old February 11th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Known Forum User

ThanksTony

Hi, I just came back from Ontario canada and I see that is where you reside. It is beautiful up there. So then for example to resize for elements site, I believe it is 195, I'm not sure if that is pixels or what. But anyway, I am doing it that way correct? I save my photo somewhere, then the dialogue jpeg option box comes up and I only have to worry about sliding the slider to be under 195 is that correct? I've already went into image size and put in my pixels as 900 or so long side . Is that correct? Here's a photo of one of your beautiful geese up there right by niagara falls. This ones for you Tony!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg canada trip 313_edited-2.jpg (92.6 KB, 14 views)
Old February 12th, 2012, 06:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Love your action photo. Very cool.

Try 'save for web' - the sliders are easy to understand. It's much easier to set the parameters for websites using "save for web."

BTW - make sure you save your photo as a copy or somehow change your file name so you don't write over your original.
Epson R1900; Epson NX430 Printers
Nikon Coolpix S8200 Camera

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 12th, 2012, 08:21 AM

You have it about right - image size sets the pixel dimensions, the file save box sets the file size in kilobytes KB.

So for an Attachment here the limitation on image size for a .jpg file is 98 KB . The 195KB restriction you mention is for .jpeg files - why the difference is one of life's mysteries because as far as I know .jpg and .jpeg files are the same except for the file extension.

Most sites you upload to will have a restriction on either file size or pixel dimensions or sometimes both so you just have to check first.

As Janice says it's easier to use Save for Web because you can set the pixel dimensions and file size on the same screen but either way will get you the same result although if you want to preserve the EXIF data you need to use your method.

Glad you enjoyed your visit up here - lots of geese around this year as it's been such a mild winter that many haven't bothered to go south!

Tony