Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Photography Discussions > Photography Equipment

Old February 4th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Casual Forum User

Two Camera Bodies -- just curious, how many of you have two and which ones?

I've had a Canon 40D for about two years and just love it. I'm saving up for the day when I have to buy a new one to replace it. It started me wondering, how many of you have two camera bodies? Which ones?

It would wonderful to afford a backup, but I'm not there yet! Meanwhile, I'll keep saving to replace the 40D when I need to -- like the moment it conks out . Thanks everyone!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Donna

PSE 7 |Canon 70D and SL1 |15-85mm, 18-55 STM, 55-250 STM, 50 1.8 II | Speedlites 430 EX II, 270 EX II | Windows Vista x64
Old February 4th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaA View Post
I've had a Canon 40D for about two years and just love it. I'm saving up for the day when I have to buy a new one to replace it. It started me wondering, how many of you have two camera bodies? Which ones?

It would wonderful to afford a backup, but I'm not there yet! Meanwhile, I'll keep saving to replace the 40D when I need to -- like the moment it conks out . Thanks everyone!
Nikon D80 is my "back up." I'd give it to my daughter (I gave her my D70S) but I don't think she'd use it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old February 4th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Senior Contributor

I have a Canon Rebel T3i and a Canon Rebel XSi as my backup. Having two is great for shoots. This past Christmas we had a "Santa Day" at the Theatre and one camera was set on the tripod to take Santa pics, while the other was around my neck taking pics of the event and activities going on.

;

;

Photoshop Elements 8 and 9 / Photoshop CS4/5 / Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 / Picasa / Toshiba Satellite / Windows XP
Kodak Z650 / Kodak Professional 1400 Digital Photo Printer / Canon MX870 Printer
Canon XSi and Canon T3i
Old February 4th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Senior Contributor

I know 2 people on Facebook in a Photography Group that I am a member
of that just purchased the Canon 5d MKII

I am a Nikon person. My Original DSLR is a D80 which is now my backup body. I use as my Main Camera a Nikon D700.

Anybody that wishes to have a backup to make two bodies I highly recommend that your Main Body would be a FF Camera!

Full Frame: Higher Quality Sensor
Better Higher ISO Capabilities
The body Focuses a bit faster even when using the Same Lenses!
Because the Sensor is newer technology the Auto WB is also more advanced.
The "Active Focusing" meaning when your locked on a moving subject the camera will stay on that subject easier and faster.
The Buffer is also larger! Meaning when your shooting in a High Tension/High Volume Situation on the "Full Frame" bodies. The download information speed and buffer means you can shoot continuously and Not Have any down time waiting for the Image Data to download to the Memory Card. More cranks for the buck so to speak.

Now, thee More Advantages to the "Full Frame Sensor" is:
That you can also get faster Frame Rates.
Your existing glass lets say your Wide Angle Zooms like the 24-70 or there abouts from Any Company as long as the Lens is made for a FF Sensor will of course let you shoot to the full capacity of the Wide Angle Side! A 24-70 is now really a 24mm Shot!

Disadvantage: Only Three!!!
Price!
Loosing a bit on the Longer Lens, but then again your shooting on a larger Sensor so you can crop that much off anyways.
Third Disadvantage: Again, The Stinkin Price!!!!! LOL

Nikon D80Nikon D700 Nikkor 70-300 VR f:4.5
Nikkor 60mm f:2.8 Macro Sigma 24-70 f:2.8 IF EX DG HSM
Nikon 85mm f:1.8D Vivitar 283 Nikon SB900
Sekonic L358 Manfrotto 055XB Tripod

Manfrotto 486RC2 Ball Head X-Rite Color Checker Passport

Last edited by Not4wood; February 4th, 2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old February 4th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:

I just bought a new 60D to replace my T1i, but I chose not to keep the old one. I just don't have any need for a spare (I've no intention of ever being a pro), and it would just sit around getting old and collecting dust. I used it for a trade-in and got the new body for under $700 with a second battery. For me, the T1i had more value as a trade-in than it did as a back up.

My back up is my PS A720IS point and shoot.

(such as it is)
Old February 4th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:

Donna I started in DSLR with the Nikon D70's which after a few years showed one or two glitches, so I bought a second D70's got the first one fixed. Going along happily with two for a year or two, then Found the D5100 which although abit more plastuc to the feel, has given me awhole new leash of Photographic Life.
As for the two D70's I still have them have no plans for getting rid of them but strangly am willing to lend them to others without losing too much sleep!
Time and circumstance will help you make the right decision.
Ron
Lenses: 50mm 1: 1.8 Prime , 18-70mm 3.5-4.5 AF-S G ED DX, 2 X 18-55mm 3.5 - 5.6 AF-S G DX VR, 55-200mm 4-5.6 AFS G ED DX, 55-300mm 4.5-5.6G ED DX VR & 18--300mm 3.5 - 5.6 AF-S G ED DX VR Sigma: 70-300mm 4-5.6 APO DG
PSE5/7/& 10, Premiere Elements 5/7/10, Lightroom 5 Perfect Photo Suite 8
Win
7(32Bit) on a Dell 17" Studio Laptop
and Win 7(64bit) on AMD 2.7Ghz Desktop with 12Gb Ram and 2Tb HDD

Old February 4th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Casual Forum User

Thanks for the great responses!

Thanks so much for your great repsonses -- very helpful! Choosing between Canon and Nikon has always been hard for me. I had both in my film shooting days. Have not owned a Nikon DSLR though. I've heard the color tones are different from Canon DSLRs. Is that true?

Preeb, how do you like your Canon 60D?

Donna

PSE 7 |Canon 70D and SL1 |15-85mm, 18-55 STM, 55-250 STM, 50 1.8 II | Speedlites 430 EX II, 270 EX II | Windows Vista x64
Old February 4th, 2012, 08:52 PM
Frequent Contributor

Hi Donna, I've bee using Nikon's since the mid 60's. Since I am not a professional and my shooting habits really doesn't warrant a second body, I just don't have one. When I go to weddings or events I watch and always end up talking to the photographer. They have two bodies so they don't waste too much time to get the shot they want without changing lenses. If it takes me one minute to get my other lens and change it , no big deal. When I finally went "Digital" I purchased the Nikon D-80. Used it for two years and as soon as the D-90 came out I bought one. I then sold the D-80 on the Nikonians forum for a fair price and continued on with my D-90. When the D-7000 came out I had a new one in my hands almost immediately and again sold my D-90 on the Nikonians. And if Nikon comes out with a new replacement for the D-7000 at the end of 2012 I again will purchase and sell again. I have no desire to own a full frame body at the prohibited prices that they go for. If I win the lottery different story. What I now want ( not necessarily need ) is some faster glass in the telephoto range. I can already see that when you increase mega pixels it( the camera) is less forgiving for operator faults. So how high do we really have to go? I also have bought some real good fast lenses from the Nikonian site for fair prices. I use a Think Tank back pack for my gear and it is so full that I have no place for a second body. Besides it is already way too heavy.
Just my 2 Cents.
Eddie

2010 blog:

Nikon D-750, 18-200 VR, 12-24 mm f/4, 50mm f/1.8,24-70mm f/2.8, 35-70 mm f/2.8, 24mm f/2.8, Micro 105mm f/2.8 D,70-200mm f/2.8G VR II, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR, SB-800, Capture NX-2, PSE 9, CS-6, LR-5, Kirk BH-3 Head, Canon Pro-9000, Epson 4180 Scanner
Old February 5th, 2012, 01:36 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Thanks so much for your great repsonses -- very helpful! Choosing between Canon and Nikon has always been hard for me. I had both in my film shooting days. Have not owned a Nikon DSLR though. I've heard the color tones are different from Canon DSLRs. Is that true?

Preeb, how do you like your Canon 60D?

I've only had it for 4 days, but I love it so far. Better controls, better feel, more options - for me, just more fun to use. I know I'm going to get some use from the remote flash triggering capability which I didn't have with my T1i, and I'll probably find a good use for the articulated LCD too.

(such as it is)
Old February 5th, 2012, 02:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preeb View Post
I've only had it for 4 days, but I love it so far. Better controls, better feel, more options - for me, just more fun to use. I know I'm going to get some use from the remote flash triggering capability which I didn't have with my T1i, and I'll probably find a good use for the articulated LCD too.
They were the things I enjoyed on the D5100 plus the ease of setting up and changing settings on the fly.
Ron
Lenses: 50mm 1: 1.8 Prime , 18-70mm 3.5-4.5 AF-S G ED DX, 2 X 18-55mm 3.5 - 5.6 AF-S G DX VR, 55-200mm 4-5.6 AFS G ED DX, 55-300mm 4.5-5.6G ED DX VR & 18--300mm 3.5 - 5.6 AF-S G ED DX VR Sigma: 70-300mm 4-5.6 APO DG
PSE5/7/& 10, Premiere Elements 5/7/10, Lightroom 5 Perfect Photo Suite 8
Win
7(32Bit) on a Dell 17" Studio Laptop
and Win 7(64bit) on AMD 2.7Ghz Desktop with 12Gb Ram and 2Tb HDD