Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Premiere Elements

Old December 22nd, 2011, 11:08 PM
Casual Forum User

PE 10 not bringing in all the video from DVD

Hi ATR,

Running into an issue I have never seen before. I'm loading a dvd (football game), and while it is bringing in all the VOB's...it's only ending up with about 6 minutes of video. The video itself is over 2 hours when I play it off of the DVD. I've tried two different machines, both windows 7 64 bit, one is a dell desktop and the other is a brand new dell laptop.

The laptop has 8MB Ram (I'm upgrading, just haven't done it yet), and I'm using external drives for the video storage. Not sure what else you need.

oh, I also get a "generic error message" on import. Clearly I need to rip this and load it some other way. any suggestions?

thanks!

Drew
Old December 22nd, 2011, 11:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Drew

One disc problem, more than one disc problem, worked before in same present computer environment but not now?

With your DVD in the DVD burner tray and Premiere Elements 10 opened to the Video Importer, are you seeing all the VOBs in the Video Importer Advanced Dialog? Is it only after you hit Add Media with ALL the thumbnails selected with check marks that you find only 6 minutes worth of VOB content on the Timeline? Or other...? If that should be the case, what happens if you check only a few and then hit Get Media? Complete import of what you checked?

Is this happening with more than one DVD disc with your DVD-VIDEO content? For troubleshooting purposes, have you tried to rip VOBs from a DVD that previously went through the ripping process without this latest development?

We need to differentiate between an importer problem vs a VOB problem (which is why I prefer not to work with VOBs) vs something else. For troubleshooting purposes have you considered creating a new catalog and determining if then the VOB ripping process goes as before this?

Problems with ripping of VOBs can be erratic in their appearance. That is when the classically convert to DV AVI as your source media comes in. The good old MPEG Streamclip way. If all else fails, then we need to consider a mini test run where you convert the DVD's VOBs to DV AVI widescreen (or standard, whatever the case) and see if that gets you your whole video to the Timeline intact, video quality wise with no out of sync audio and otherwise.

Please consider these thoughts and then we will decide what next. Anything different about this particular DVD and its content? By the way, check those external hard drives to make sure that the drive letters are not moving around on you.

I am going to be calling it a day in a little while. So, if I do not follow up today or a little after midnight, I will check to see what is happening with your issue first thing in the morning.

ATR
Old December 23rd, 2011, 12:33 PM
Casual Forum User

Hi ATR,

I just put some of this in PM...but will do it here so that others can see it.

One of my computers has not changed and it's the one I successfully pulled video off of DVD all during the football season. Obviously the new computer is new.

The DVD's I got are from a source I've never gotten them from (a new customer), so that's the only real change here. I can see all the VOB's when I get ready to pull into PE10, it's when it actually pulls them in that it doesn't pull them all. I have not tried doing it in peices.

However, last night I was thinking about it and since I had not taken PE8 off of my computer I figured I'd try to pull the video using that. Voila! The entire 2 hours pulled in.

I can't explain why it worked on PE8 and not on PE10, exact same computer and exact same DVD. I'll try PE10 with the other DVD's that I got (I received 6 games) and see if it is with this particular type of DVD.

But it looks like I have a workaround for now.

Thanks ATR!

Drew
Old December 23rd, 2011, 08:56 PM
Casual Forum User

so get this. I can use PE8 to rip the vobs...and figured once I did that I would be able to then bring the ripped vob's into PE10. Nope, when i bring in the exact same files that add up to 2 hours in PE8, they are only 6 minutes in PE10. I haven't dug into this yet...but thought that was strange. I think I'm going to burn out .avi files out of PE8 and then work with them in PE10.
Old December 23rd, 2011, 10:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Drew

That is a strange turn of events. I will think about that. I will probably give that a try within the next day or so or sooner. I need to prepare a 2 hour DVD-VIDEO for starters. I will do that tonight. Do you get a different outcome if the content on the DVD disc is shorter than 2 hours?

ATR
Old December 23rd, 2011, 10:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Drew

Recap time...2 hours of DVD-VIDEO on a DVD disc? What kind of DVD disc:
4.7 GB/120 min or 8.5 GB/240 min?

ATR
Old December 24th, 2011, 12:50 AM
Casual Forum User

OK, the disk I had issues with is a DVD+R 4.7GB Sony disk. I know I've used DVD+R before.

I'm pulling another one right now which is DVD-r. When PE10 shows what it is going to pull it looks like I'll get it all (this one looks to be about 1.5 hours). Not sure if I'm saying this right, but when you choose to pull from DVD it shows you how long each VOB is. The first disk showed it was only going to pull 5 minutes or so. So I'll let you know how this one goes.

Another interesting fact...I cut up that video in PE8 (the one where even when I loaded the vobs pulled by PE8 into PE10 it only showed 5 minutes). When I have the clips and save the project and then open that same project (I saved a second test copy) in PE10 the clips are there. Very strange.

Thanks as usual...love these mysteries! Just glad this one isn't really slowing me down. Just weird.

Drew
Old December 24th, 2011, 12:57 AM
Casual Forum User

wishful thinking I guess. so got that same generic error. I got more of the film, but only 1:15 vs. again almost 2 hours (I was wrong on it being shorter). So going to just use PE8 to pull and cut this one up...then will shift to PE10 once I get that done. very strange!
Old December 24th, 2011, 01:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Drew

I did not get a chance to dig into this tonight/this morning.

I will do that in the light of day when I can really think about this one.

Good morning.

ATR
Old December 24th, 2011, 01:09 AM
Casual Forum User

do you ever sleep???