Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Archives > Photoshop.com (forum is closed to posting)

Old November 23rd, 2011, 04:02 PM
Known Forum User

Send a message via ICQ to CEHARRIS3 Send a message via Skype™ to CEHARRIS3
Tagging, Rating and Labeling in CS5 Bridge

I am currently taking Deke McClelland's CS5 course (an absolutely fantastic course, by the way). My basic question comes to this. If I have already organized, tagged and rated my photos in PSE9. Can I do the same to them in CS5 Bridge. Can these tags and ratings be independent of one another in both programs. For instance can the same photo have different tags, ratings and labels; one set in PSE9 and a different set in CS5? Are there "dangers" in doing this? Clarke
Nikon 300D, AFS Nikkor 70-300 1:4.5-5.6G, AFS DX VR Nikkor 18-200/3.5-5.6G ED, AF Nikkor 50mm 1.4D, AF-S MicroNikkor 105mm 1:2.8G ED, AF-S MicroNikkor 60/2.8 ED, AF-S Nikkor 85mm 1.4G, Windows 7, PSE5, PSE9, PSE12, CS5, 12GIG RAM Dell XPS 8300, Wacom Intuos4, Epson Stylus Pro 3880, Topaz Bundle. NIK collection
Old December 5th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Senior Contributor

I believe you can have independent tags in both Organizer and Bridge ... BUT ... unless you have a very good reason to do so, I would strongly advise against doing this.

Having two different sets of tags for each photo risks confusion on the part of you the user (did I tag this photo with "National Park" in Bridge, or did I do that in Organizer?) It is twice the work, and I simply don't see a benefit. Twice the work with no benefit is not something I can recommend.

Lastly, there is a small but real possibility that the tags from Organizer and Bridge could get mingled together without you realizing it. If you accidentally issue a command (have you ever selected the wrong menu item accidentally?), I can see how the tags from Organizer could get written to the file and read by Bridge (or vice versa)

I think you are asking for trouble going down this path.

What does a class in CS5 have to do with this issue anyway? Are you interested in editing photos from Organizer using CS5? This is easily done, without resorting to Bridge as an intermediate step.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Photos

Last edited by dj_paige; December 5th, 2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old December 7th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Known Forum User

Thanks dj

Thanks for the advice, and I think it was well taken. Tagging in both organizer and bridge could result in a mix-up

I did think your question:

"What does a class in CS5 have to do with this issue anyway? Are you interested in editing photos from Organizer using CS5? This is easily done, without resorting to Bridge as an intermediate step"

failed to appreciate where I was coming from. I have been a PSE user for five years and only recently began attempting to transition to CS5. When I came upon Bridge (which appears to offer many more organizational features than the Organizer), it was just natural curiosity that motivated me to explore the possibility of using both at the same time. This is why I posted the question on the Photoshop.com forum (and not the General Elements forum). Clarke

I had been
Nikon 300D, AFS Nikkor 70-300 1:4.5-5.6G, AFS DX VR Nikkor 18-200/3.5-5.6G ED, AF Nikkor 50mm 1.4D, AF-S MicroNikkor 105mm 1:2.8G ED, AF-S MicroNikkor 60/2.8 ED, AF-S Nikkor 85mm 1.4G, Windows 7, PSE5, PSE9, PSE12, CS5, 12GIG RAM Dell XPS 8300, Wacom Intuos4, Epson Stylus Pro 3880, Topaz Bundle. NIK collection
Old December 7th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Enlightened Elder

Hi Clarke ..

I love Bridge ... it is just so powerful !!

I use it as a general filebrowser for everything else as well as Photoshop

Wendy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"

Old December 7th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Known Forum User

Hey Wendy

Wendy...you have followed my plight to mastering Photoshop CS5 closer than anyone. When I came across that Deke McClelland course on Lynda.com, I entered paradise!! I have never experienced a more thorough on-line course in my life (I am only one-sixth of the way through it). I was honestly about to give up! One real advantage of learning Photoshop, in my opinion, is that it opens the door to soooo many more training opportunities (which are quite applicable to Elements as well).

Just thought I would give you a progress report, my friend, as you have been helpful to me (and many others) on this "journey" Clarke
Old December 7th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Enlightened Elder

Hi Clarke ...

So glad that you are enjoying it ... and Deke really does a good set of tutorials. I like his work

Wendy

"