Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > More > Pixel Hangout

Old November 22nd, 2011, 07:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Any interest in a 366 Photo Challenge in 2012 ?

I'm curious to see if there is any other interest in a 366 Challenge for next year. I for one would very much like to see the idea continue. Before I go off and do my own list though, I thought I'd at least ask the question.

I don't mean this to in any way preclude other challenges such as the weekly schedule that's being discussed. It sounds like that's a perfect solution for a lot of folks, and there is already a nice looking list started. Perhaps the two ideas could even be merged into one list with 52 main themes and 314 alternates. Obviously people could participate at their own level of enjoyment, and manipulate the themes as they saw fit.

Like I say, I just thought I'd ask the question to see if there is any interest is chasing after a full-blown list again next year.

Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old November 22nd, 2011, 08:03 PM
Casual Forum User

As I am finishing up my third 365 challenge, I'd really like to continue something with a commitment, but not another 365. At the same time, I would really miss the active blogging community.

What I've learned from three years is to open my eyes to possibilities. What I'd like to learn now it how to refine the photos I've taken--and I'd like to have more time to take more careful shots, to have time to think about a theme, explore it, experiment with it. That's what I'm liking about the 52 week concept.

And, from the other aspect of the challenge, I'd have time to post more thoughtful comments on the blogs of others. I try to comment regularly on the participants' blogs (although I admit that when there's been no mutuality, I give up on spending my time on some.) But there we would each be able to be a little more analytical, and there might be more discussion if we could focus our attention on fewer photos. (PS I still think Tammy needs an award--I don't know how she manages to comment on every photo, while keeping up her own blog, working AND keeping up with twin teenaged boys. I suspect she has the gift of bi-location. Maybe tri-location.)

Photo a Day (in theory)

Old November 22nd, 2011, 08:30 PM
New Forum User

I am interested in the 366 day challenge and I have 3 friends who will join the forum to do it as well if we go that way. So that makes 4 for me.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 09:29 PM
Senior Contributor

I like the challenge of 366 even though the last two years I've sort of settled into the odd day, every other day that is.

I like the idea of merging weekly and daily themes.

PET Gallery

Old November 23rd, 2011, 07:04 AM

Even though I never completed a list in the several years I tried, participating in the 365 challenges has been really, really important to me. It helped me start to see the world from a photographer's perspective, inspired me, and kept me motivated to move forward with my photography. Learning to blog opened up a big internet world for me. I now have a huge network of blogs and resources that continue to provide inspiration and motivation, as well as teach me techniques and methodology. Not to mention, being part of the challenge community is just plain fun. I'm not blogging publicly anymore, but still, I do hang out on the fringes.

I'm happy to know that Bill is going to continue on with a 366 because he has been the biggest inspiration to me in the last few years. And, I'm even happier to know he is willing to make and share a full 366 list for those interested in pushing themselves in 2012. I'll chip in too and offer to maintain the list of bloggers here at EV.

Bill, how about we get together after the Thanksgiving break to chat more about this?

Click
for my blog

Mac OS 10.9
PSE12, CS6, PSCC
Lightroom 5

Canon 5DmII, EF 24-105mm f/4L USM, EF 135mm f/2.0L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM

Last edited by JulieM; November 23rd, 2011 at 08:18 AM.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 08:28 AM

I should have mentioned also that I like the idea of working from a list of 52 main themes, with 314 sub-themes for the super motivated. I think having both groups blogging together means a larger, more diverse blogging community. And that will help newcomers, who sometimes need the extra motivation and encouragement that a larger blogging group can provide.

Click
for my blog

Mac OS 10.9
PSE12, CS6, PSCC
Lightroom 5

Old November 23rd, 2011, 08:38 AM
Casual Forum User

As a first year blogger this year, I am definitely glad I participated, even though the every day posting proved a bit much for me. I'm interested in the combined list with the main themes plus sub-themes. It would allow one to participate at the level and frequency that one wished and one could ramp it up or down depending upon personal work or other schedules. It would also allow one to pursue a theme that was of particular personal interest in more depth and do others minimally.
Windows 8 64bit, 6GB RAM
Wacom Bamboo Craft Pen &Touch (just learning)
PSE 6, 8, 9, 11
Lightroom 4, Topaz Adjust 5, Topaz Lens Effects
Topaz Star Effects, Topaz Simplify, Topaz Restyle

Old November 23rd, 2011, 08:40 AM
Casual Forum User

The 365 challenge is a fun way to learn to use our cameras; get more proficient with Photoshop, and see the world through the camera lens of our fellow bloggers.

John and I would like to continue on with a second 366 challenge. I like the idea of combining a Weekly and Daily Challenge. I also would like to see a group that could sign up without committing to weekly or daily postings.

The experience of setting up a photo blog is very rewarding.

Old November 23rd, 2011, 09:17 AM

Another thought comes to mind as I read the comments so far. How about keeping it simple and having just one list of 366 themes? Those who want to challenge themselves with a full 366 themes can do so and others would be free to use the list however they like, posting as many or as few themes as they wish on their own schedule. Ultimate flexibility and no requirement to make a set commitment.

Click
for my blog

Mac OS 10.9
PSE12, CS6, PSCC
Lightroom 5

Old November 23rd, 2011, 09:21 AM
Casual Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieM View Post
Another thought comes to mind as I read the comments so far. How about keeping it simple and having just one list of 366 themes? Those who want to challenge themselves with a full 366 themes can do so and others would be free to use the list however they like, posting as many or as few themes as they wish on their own schedule. Ultimate flexibility and no requirement to make a set commitment.
The keep-it-simple one list of 366 themes would work for me.
Windows 8 64bit, 6GB RAM
Wacom Bamboo Craft Pen &Touch (just learning)
PSE 6, 8, 9, 11
Lightroom 4, Topaz Adjust 5, Topaz Lens Effects
Topaz Star Effects, Topaz Simplify, Topaz Restyle