Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Mac-specific Elements Questions

Old November 22nd, 2011, 07:23 PM
New Forum User

Question Could not use the clone stamp tool because the area to clone has not been defined (op

Freshly installed Elements 10. Can not use the option-mouse click to define an area for the clone stamp. The error I get is:

Could not use the clone stamp tool because the area to clone has not been defined (option-click to define a source point).

New Mac Mini. Had the same problems in Elements 9 so I installed the 10 trial. Is this a key binding error? Did not have this issue with Elements 9 on my Mac Air or my Windows 7 system.

I'm not a newbie and know how to use the clone tool. I won't say I'm an expert so if it's something related to layers please throw out some ideas.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 05:43 AM
Senior Contributor

serverpimp, are you sampling on the correct layer?
Activate the correct layer by clicking on its icon in the layers palette.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 07:18 AM
Casual Forum User

Yep, he's right! If you are on the wrong layer when you define the point where you want to copy and there are no pixels on that layer where you click, it will not define anything because there is nothing there to define.

Just make sure the layer you want to use is the active layer. It will be a darker layer in the layer's palette so you know it is the active layer. Just click on that layer in the layer's palette to make it the active layer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 27th, 2012, 07:36 PM
New Forum User

New clue to my problem

Went back to my Windows box last November to get around my problem. Not a good fix. Back on my Mac Air and my Mac Mini, both running Lion to try and figure this out. I think I have it.

I use a wireless keyboard and mouse on Mini and mouse on Air, although keyboard for Air is upstairs at a desk with monitor for occasional use. Regardless blue tooth is on for these devices. Problem exists. Turn bluetooth off on Air and the problem is gone. It must be related to option key when bluetooth is on, I guess some different mapping. Even when I have bluetooth on and try to use Option key on the Air keyboard it does not work.

So now where do I look for configs to check?