Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Mac-specific Elements Questions

Old October 30th, 2011, 05:25 PM
New Forum User

Installing actions in PSE 10 for the Mac

Folks often have trouble figuring out how to install actions in PSE for the Mac. I've updated some instructions for PSE 10 (that I originally wrote for myself so wouldn't have to reconstruct this each time).

I hope some folks find it useful.

Note: I accidentally deleted the PDF giving these instructions from my website. As of July 4, 2013 they have been restored. I apologize to those who have searched for them in vain.

Last edited by camner; July 5th, 2013 at 12:47 AM.
Old October 31st, 2011, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camner View Post
Folks often have trouble figuring out how to install actions in PSE for the Mac. I've updated some instructions for PSE 10 (that I originally wrote for myself so wouldn't have to reconstruct this each time).

I hope some folks find it useful.
Hi Robert,

A very nice resource to have. Thank you for sharing that....much appreciated.

Mac OS 10.9
PSE12, CS6, PSCC
Lightroom 5

Canon 5DmII, EF 24-105mm f/4L USM, EF 135mm f/2.0L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
Old January 2nd, 2012, 07:20 AM
New Forum User

What about Mac Lion

Hi,
I have read your instructions but can not install the actions with them.
Problem is: I have Mac Lion (and am totally new to Mac coming from 15 years Windows) and also quite new to Elemnts.
I bought some Actions and downloaded the files but the instructions that came with them do not work either. In Lion you can not see the Library at all and I don't know Mac well enough to know where or how to find it.
I don't know if this makes a difference but i have a Element Version bought in Europe...haven't got a clue if there are differences
Can you help me with this, please?

Sabine
Old January 2nd, 2012, 07:32 AM

Hi Sabine and welcome,

I think I can help you find the proper Library so that you can place the actions properly. Open your Finder and click on Preferences. Now under the General tab, put a check in the box marked "Hard Disks", as in this screenshot:

Click for large view

Then after that, you should see MacIntosh HD in the left pane of your Finder. Click on that and you should be able to follow the path, which is:

HD>Library>Application Support>Adobe>Photoshop Elements>10.0>Photo Creations

Let us know how that works for you.

Mac OS 10.9
PSE12, CS6, PSCC
Lightroom 5

Old January 2nd, 2012, 10:26 AM
Enlightened Elder

Hi Sabine ...

.. and welcome to the Village

Hopefully Julie's instructions will help you install the actions ... Lion is little different

Wendy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"

Old January 2nd, 2012, 02:20 PM
New Forum User

Thank you...

...all for the reply.
Not only Lion is different, it seems to me that Lion in Europe is different again.
The screenshot is nowhere closely to what I see when I launch Finder...I do not have the option to see or change preferences in Lion....I wanted to make a screenshot so you can see but the instructions on how to do this again do not work on my Mac:-((
I am usually not stupid when it comes to Computers, I even worked for Bill Gates Company for some years but this is really getting to me now...I just wanna edit my pics:-))
I have to go away for a few days but after friday I will be on it again...in the meantime I will be online mobile and reading all you suggest.
I live in Sweden, bought Elements in Germany but chose to install it in english as my Mac...bought in Sweden, speaks english with me too.

Thanks again and I am open to any workable suggestion.

Sabine
Old January 2nd, 2012, 02:26 PM

Sabine,

I am also using Lion. When you launch Finder, do you have a menu bar at the top of your screen that says Finder File View Go Window Help? Or the Swedish equivalents? You'll want to click Finder (just to the right of your Apple icon at the far top left of your screen) and Preferences can be chosen from there.

Please let us know if that worked.

Mac OS 10.9
PSE12, CS6, PSCC
Lightroom 5

Old January 2nd, 2012, 02:49 PM
New Forum User

Sabine,

I'm sorry you're having trouble. Shifting to a new operating system is challenging at first, no doubt. Having worked extensively in both the Mac OS and Windows, I have to say that once I got the hang of it, the Mac OS is FAR easier to navigate around, but certainly not before you get used to it.

I very much doubt Lion is different in Europe than in the US. It doesn't make sense to create different versions of the operating system, and I have done a quick Google search and couldn't find any references to European Macs being any different than those here in the US.

Lion is being "helpful" by hiding the USER Library folder, but that's not the one you want anyway! You want the MAIN Library folder that sits right underneath the hard drive (usually named "Macintosh HD").

BUT, there's an easier way (with an alternative for one step):
  1. Select the following text and copy it to your clipboard using Cmd-C or select Copy from the Edit menu: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Photoshop Elements/10.0/Photo Creations/
  2. Select the Finder (which doesn't need to be "launched"...it's always there!)...select it from the Dock or by clicking somewhere on the background on your screen (not in an open window when an application is running)
  3. Pull down the "Go" menu and select "Go to Folder..." [as an alternative, hit Cmd-Shift-G from your keyboard]
  4. Paste (Cmd-V or select Paste from the Edit menu) the path into the box
  5. Hit Return
  6. Voilá! You now are at the correct place to start my instructions

Another thing to remember about installing actions in PSE is that SOME actions designed for the big version of Photoshop will not run correctly in Photoshop Elements (because they rely on Photoshop commands that don't exist in Elements). They will INSTALL correctly, but won't work correctly.

[You also need to be sure to delete the ThumbDatabase.db3 file and the MediaDatabase.db3 file, per the instructions. To get to those locations, you can use "Go to Folder..." and copy/paste the file paths from my instructions.]

Good luck, and let us know if you have more difficulties.
Old January 2nd, 2012, 03:13 PM

Hi Sabine,

Camner's excellent instructions are far more reliable than mine.

If you run into any problems and want to post a screenshot, you should be able to by using the shortcut Command-Shift-3. (HERE is a reference with other screenshot shortcuts) This will take a screenshot of the screen and save it onto your desktop. You can then insert it into a post here by using Pixentral.com (instructions HERE).

Good luck.

Mac OS 10.9
PSE12, CS6, PSCC
Lightroom 5

Old January 2nd, 2012, 03:28 PM
New Forum User

Smile Great!

My problem is that I am used to look for things in the windows of apps itself while on the Mac it is often found in the bar at the top:-( I am learning.

Thank you so so much for the help...I am sure it will work now, I have found the place to put the actions, just need to follow Roberts instructions now.

I must say, I am very glad I have found this place and so many willing helpers, thanks heaps.

Happy new Year everybody.

Sabine

Tags
actions, install, mac, pse10