Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old October 29th, 2011, 07:03 PM
New Forum User

Red face Photoshop Elements Vs Windows Live Photo Gallery

Hi All,

I bought Photoshop Elements 10 today and I am waiting for it to arrive. I've not used PE before in earlier versions. However, I have just downloaded Windows Live Photo Gallery which is free and seems to be really good. I'm wondering whether to send PE back when it arrives? I think I've got buyers remorse!

As far as I can tell one of the main benefits of PE over Photo gallery is mainly to do with the editing functionality. If this is the case, as I mainly need a photo organiser (not editer), perhaps PE is a little bit overkill for my needs. The facial recognition/tagging in Windows Photo Gallery seems to be real fast and easy to do. I've tagged loads of photo's in only a few minutes and I'm wondering whether PE is as quick and easy in this respect as this is definetely a function that I would find valuable?

I'd appreciate your views on this, particularly from people who have used both softwares. Photo Gallary has received some good reviews and maybe will suffice for my needs. I'm struggling to find reasons to keep PE - maybe you can point some out to me?

Also, a question ref the PE catolog. Why is it that photo elements uses a catolog file to store information (star rating, tags etc) about a photo you have in your hard drive, rather than store that info in the photo itself?

My only guess is that perhaps the catalog file can store more information categories that can't be embedded in the photo file itself??

Photo Gallery doesn't use a catalog file. It appears to simply embed the tags/star ratings etc (is this known as EXIF data??) directly into the pic.

Thanks in advance
May
Old October 29th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Frequent Contributor

I cannot give you any help in regard to keeping PSE, but if you purchased it for $79.00, that is a good buy for now. I have not used the windows Photo Gallery, other than to view my picture files. I am writing this to say you should download the trail version of PSE 10, and you have a 30 trial period, and then you can decide whether to send the boxed version back, or keep it.

PSE 5,7,8,9, 10 Win XP, Win 7 8GB Ram 1 T Hard drive, CS 5, Premier Elements 10, Nikon 5100 with two Lens
Old October 29th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi May, welcome aboard!

You may want to check these threads.

Organizers Other Than PSE

Is PSE Organizer reliable?

Best file system to use w/PSE8?

Some of the information relates to previous PSE versions, but I think you will find it useful.

PSE7,10,11,12 (Windows 7 64-bit)

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." -- Mark Twain
Old October 30th, 2011, 05:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayonline View Post
Hi All,

As far as I can tell one of the main benefits of PE over Photo gallery is mainly to do with the editing functionality. If this is the case, as I mainly need a photo organiser (not editer), perhaps PE is a little bit overkill for my needs.
Probably... for the time being. Maybe in some time it will be different.

Quote:
The facial recognition/tagging in Windows Photo Gallery seems to be real fast and easy to do. I've tagged loads of photo's in only a few minutes and I'm wondering whether PE is as quick and easy in this respect as this is definetely a function that I would find valuable?
This is a function I would never use, I want to do this manually, so I cannot help you in this respect.

Quote:
Also, a question ref the PE catolog. Why is it that photo elements uses a catolog file to store information (star rating, tags etc) about a photo you have in your hard drive, rather than store that info in the photo itself?

My only guess is that perhaps the catalog file can store more information categories that can't be embedded in the photo file itself??

Photo Gallery doesn't use a catalog file. It appears to simply embed the tags/star ratings etc (is this known as EXIF data??) directly into the pic.

Thanks in advance
May
First, you can store a lot of information in the files themselves, that's not the problem. As a matter of fact, users of the organizer generally write all their tags, categories, ratings etc into the files themselves.

Second : the catalog is a database, not a single list or hierarchical list. You can combine criteria in a way which is impossible to non database softwares. All my projects (books, web galleries, slideshows) need advanced selection processes which can't be achieved otherwise. Most users don't need them. You have to take the time to tag and organize categories etc, but you are rewarded with much better selection and output features.

Lastly, the organizer offers many useful features like intelligent backup/restore and creative output or printing.

Windows XP/Win7-64 - LR 5.6, PSE6 -10-11-12.1, Elements+ - smartcurves - Faststone - Canon 20D Sigma 17/70mm. Canon 50 1.8 - Fuji X100S, Lumix TZ6.
Old October 30th, 2011, 06:48 AM
New Forum User

Thanks v.much for your responses. I actually purchased PSE with PS Premiere which I definetely need so I'll probably keep the software as I'll likely use the editing features of PSE even if I don't use the organiser.

I'm going to start a new thread to discuss the catalogue and taggin elements as this is still confusing me (plz bear with me!)

Thanks again all.
Old June 12th, 2013, 06:06 AM
New Forum User

I realise that this thread is a bit old now but it's still live and I've just registered so I can share my experience of both PS Elements and Windows live photo gallery.

As you get a little more used to editing from the beginner stage you begin to see colours and other things with a clearer mind. Windows live has been a great programme but I began to notice that when I increased the colours for saturation of my landscape photos the green grass was always becoming an emerald green. A bit cold looking. Then an increase in the colour temperature to overcome this produced an effect that didn't seem to be natural.

Also when trying to increase the shadow detail it didn't just increase the shadows it was brightening the whole scene up including the sky, which wasn't what I wanted.

Similarly reducing the highights in windows live to bring in a bit more cloud detail seemed to reduce the lighting of the whole of my image.

I have a professional Dell monitor.

Last edited by northern lights; June 12th, 2013 at 06:50 AM.