Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old October 16th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Known Forum User

Location: Tillsonburg, Ontario, Canada in summer; Sun City Center, Florida in winter
Creating actions in PSE 9

I posted a question in the Challenges section of the Forum about creating Actions sets. There are so many good tutorials out there that could be made into these. I have created Actions in Photoshop in the past and in the Guided Edit palette, Action Player, version 9 of Elements it says "You may also add your own actions. Please contact the Help file for information on creating and adding your own action sets".

Has anyone had any luck doing this and if so, could you let me know how?

The Elements 9 Help I looked at was absolutely no help whatsoever...!

Thanks

Linda

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
Updated Jan 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photography is more than a medium for the factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art. -

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18, Panasonic Lumix DMC-FH1
PSE 10, Topaz Adjust 5, OnOne Photo Essentials on Win 7 PC
Old October 16th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Enlightened Elder

Hi Linda ...

Using Elements it is not possible to create actions ... all you can do is install actions that have been made using Photoshop (however they do need to have been written specifically for Elements as most of the Photoshop ones will not work in Elements).

Wendy

"

Old October 16th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Casual Forum User

I agree that Adobe's own "help" area is pretty useless most of the time. That's what makes Elements Village so great!
Rick
Old October 16th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Linda,

I am assuming that your Photoshop Elements 9 is on Windows 7 64 bit. If not, use the instructions in the Photoshop Elements 9 Help PDF for Windows XP, Vista, or Mac.
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Photosho...662B1F7E9.html

You will want to place your .atn (action) via the following Windows 7 64 bit route:
Local C Drive\Program Data\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\9.0\Locale\en_us\Workflow Panels\Actions and place your .atn in that Action Folder. Emphasis on Program Data, not Program Files (x86).

After you close out of there and open Photoshop Elements 10 Full Editor/Edit Tab/Guided/Automated Action/Action Player, look to "1" and "2"
"1" probably says "Captions", but click on the triangle to the right of that to see all the choices which will include the name of the action that you just placed via Program Data.
But, do not forget to check out what needs to be selected in "2" which defines your choice further. In the example that I am using, I used a puzzle atn, so in "1" I set for the name of the puzzle atn action and in "2" I set for the required subcategory for how many pieces of the puzzle.

That is how it is done. Now whether the specific action works in this feature is another matter.

We will be looking forward to your results.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...With regards to what works or does not/Action Player...with the specific example of my puzzle atn action,
a. if I used the one created by Panos for Photoshop Elements, the photo was broken into the puzzle pieces designated and no problems.
b. if I used the one created for by Panos for Photoshop, the photo was broken into the puzzle pieces, looked great until the moment to close out of there, then closing out of there closed the program down.
c. if I used .atn actions that came with my old Photoshop 7, they all worked in this Photoshop Elements 9 Action Player (these .atn actions all installed as previously described for the others).

Bottom line: please try this Action Player feature for the atn actions in which you are interested and let us see what happens.

Last edited by ATR; October 16th, 2011 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Add On...Another Add On
Old October 16th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Senior Contributor

I believe (in this case at least) Adobe's Help file was pretty useful.

Quote:
The Action Player in the Automated Actions guided edit can play actions created in Photoshop. Keep in mind that you can only play actions that use features supported in Photoshop Elements.
It seems to agree with what Wendy said in her previous post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy View Post
Hi Linda ...

Using Elements it is not possible to create actions ... all you can do is install actions that have been made using Photoshop (however they do need to have been written specifically for Elements as most of the Photoshop ones will not work in Elements).
and with what Judy and I said in another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug View Post
Linda i only have pse4 . But in my understanding you can only create in photoshop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepiana View Post
That's my understanding as well. Only the big brother, Photoshop, can create actions. PSE can use actions created in Photoshop, if those actions use commands that PSE "understands".

PSE7,10,11,12,13 (Windows 7 64-bit)

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." -- Mark Twain

Last edited by Sepiana; October 16th, 2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old October 16th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Linda

After reading what the others have said, I need to point out my understanding at the onset...

a. It was given that you could not create actions in Photoshop Elements, Photoshop was the place for that

b. You were asking how to get those Photoshop created .atn actions into Photoshop Elements 9 since the routes given in the Photoshop Elements 9 Help PDF are for Windows XP, Vista, and Mac, not Windows 7.

If you are looking for a way to create .atn actions in Photoshop Elements, that is another matter which the others have addressed in one same voice.

ATR
Old October 16th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Known Forum User

Location: Tillsonburg, Ontario, Canada in summer; Sun City Center, Florida in winter
Thanks everyone for their input.

@ATR - Your explanation I believe is how to install actions while what I want to do is create them.

Have posted a question on the Adobe Help website and see what response I get. As I said previously, their wording in PSE9 seems to suggest that it is possible to create actions there.

Linda

@ ATR again - seems we cross-posted and you're in concurrence with the others. Maybe I'm just reading it wrong...

-
Updated Jan 2012

Photography is more than a medium for the factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art. -

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18, Panasonic Lumix DMC-FH1
PSE 10, Topaz Adjust 5, OnOne Photo Essentials on Win 7 PC
Old October 16th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Linda

Thanks for the clarification. I think our last posts got posted at the same moment.

What did you read that suggested that Adobe was saying that Photoshop Elements had a feature for creating actions (.atn or otherwise). The Photoshop Elements 9 Help PDF that I cited in my earlier post in no way suggests that.
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Photosho...662B1F7E9.html

Since the placement of the .atn action is in the Program Data, not Program Files (x86), of Windows 7 64 bit, I assumed that the question was about installation rather than creation.

ATR

Last edited by ATR; October 16th, 2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old October 16th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Enlightened Elder

Hi Linda ...

As I said before you cannot create action in Photoshop Elements ... you need to write them in Photoshop and then Elements can simply play them

Wendy

"

Old October 16th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes, Wendy is correct. There is no way whatever to create an action in PSE, although elements 9 and 10 are scriptable, if you happen to know the appropriate scripting language for your platform.