Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old February 18th, 2006, 05:38 PM
New Forum User

Challenge to help Mum - How do I convert photo to embroidery pattern

Hi there,

I recently bought Elements 4, and would like to convert a photo to a pattern that my Mum can embroider for my son.

What I'd like to do is choose a simple football photo, and convert it down to 120 x 80 pixels. So that it becomes like a pattern / template.

Also I need to change the colour palette down to a much more restricted colour range say 64 or 128 colors.

If any of you bright guys could provide step by step instructions this would be very much appreciated.
Old February 18th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Pete
Try this link:
http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive...titch_cha.html

I have never tried it but some people tell me it works well. By the way - welcome to the forum!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old February 18th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Enlightened Elder

Hi there ...

and welcome to the forum

Do let us know how you go on ...

Wendy

"

Old February 19th, 2006, 12:32 AM
Casual Forum User

Machine or Hand

Are you talking hand or macchine embroidery. Because the machines use a very specific file format based upon the type of machine.

If you are talking machine let me know what machine type you are using. It will probably require a special import software.
Old February 19th, 2006, 04:10 AM
New Forum User

cheers guys.

I'll try the link posted.

Ron, it's hand embroidery, but thanks for the info re: machine based.
Old February 19th, 2006, 06:43 AM
Frequent Contributor

Nancy,

I just checked out that link. Wonderful!!!!!!

I love to cross-stitch also, although it has taken a back burner since photography came into my life this past year or so.

Thanks for the link.

Kathy

Old February 19th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Senior Contributor

You're welcome. Hope it works out for you. Maybe you could share a picture of the finished work.

Old February 27th, 2006, 04:50 AM
Senior Contributor

I actually own a couple of CDs that convert photos to crossstitch/embroidery patterns. One thing I would say is don't be tempted to use too many colours. You mention a palette of 64 - 128 colours - most embroidery/crossstitch kits are charted for far less - a really complicated design may only use about 35 colours. Believe me, it is very difficult to work with a large number of colours!

Bayla

and

Old February 27th, 2006, 04:54 AM
Enlightened Elder

Hi Bayla ..

I have a friend who does cross stitch and she said just the same thing ... I suggested to her that she try Filer>Adjustment>Posterize to reduce the number of colours and she said that it works really well ..

Wendy

"