Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Premiere Elements

Old June 8th, 2011, 03:06 PM
New Forum User

Distorted Freeze Frame in PE7

Hi,
I wish to take a single video frame and insert it between two clips so it displays for about 10 seconds together with a title commenting on this frame.

It is quite easy to do by freezing a frame and inserting it in the video but, while the frame displays ok in PE7 in the resulting DVD it is distorted in that alternate "lines" of the picture are displaced from eachother, giving an out of focus look.

Is there a better way of doing this or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Jim
Old June 8th, 2011, 04:10 PM
New Forum User

I have just found that, If I pause the DVD whilst the freeze frame is being displayed then the distortion I described earlier dissappears.

I should mention that the project preset is DI/DV Pal Wide Screen !6:9 1.422 and that the input video is in AVI widescreen format ex camcorder.

I hope this helps.

Jim
Old June 8th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Jim

Since I would not expect any problems related to Premiere Elements 7 and getting this job done for you, let us explore the details to see if we can find an explanation

a. You say your project preset is PAL DV Widescreen.

b. What is this source media that you are putting on this Timeline from whence the freeze frame is derived...you say .avi widescreen. Is this .avi widescreen from the capture firewire of DV widescreen data from miniDV Camcorder to Premiere Elements 7?

c. How are you creating the freeze frame...File Menu/Export/Frame? If so, are you changing any settings in this feature once you get there?...or are you using the Freeze Frame (Camera) icon at the bottom right of the Edit Mode Monitor, selecting just Insert in Timeline or are you taking the freeze frame first into Photoshop Elements for editing, followed by return to the Premiere Elements Timeline?

Is the problem just with this specific .avi or with all video with freeze frame inclusion in the export?

I do not want to take anything for granted, so I do want to clear away the above questions to get at the core of the matter.

Thanks...will be watching for your follow up.

ATR
Old June 9th, 2011, 08:05 AM
New Forum User

Hi and thank you for your reply.

b. Yes.

c. I used the camera icon and inserted the frame in the time line and deleted the rest of the associated clip from the time line. In addition I have tried exporting the frame into PSE and then sending it back to PrE. In the latter case the distortion was still, more or less, the same except that the frame lost the w/s format and became, what I assume is 4:3.

I have only one freeze frame in this video and I am tempted to do without it! It would be nice though to see if the problem could be solved.

I have used this technigue in previous videos in PrE without problems.

Jim
Old June 9th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Jim

More questions....

a. Where have you been playing this DVD...computer program and/or TV's DVD player? If both, same result? Have you found an alternative player (which one) and do you get the same result with playback of that DVD export?

b. Do you have the problem if you do a freeze frame at another place on this video? Do you have the problem if you bring different video into this same project and create a freeze frame from it? Putting all this aside, what happens if you start a new project and repeat your original procedure? Same problem?

c. Here is what I would like you to do....insert your freeze frame on the Timeline via the Freeze Frame icon at the bottom right of the Edit Mode Monitor...all as you have been doing. Then right click the Freeze Frame on the Timeline, select Field Options and "Always Deinterlace", and then continue to export and see what happens. BTW, when you did the Edit in Photoshop Elements after inserting, in Photoshop Elements did you apply the Filter/Video/Deinterlace to the Freeze Frame?

d. Do not to forget to inspect that Timeline content was fragments of components that were left behind when you deleted them, unwanted gaps, transitions out of place, etc. BTW where is this Freeze Frame..video track 2 above the gap in video track 1 content created when you did Freeze Frame/Insert in Movie or other?

Let us see if the answers to the above give us some clues as to why you are having this problem your Premiere Elements project.

Thanks.

ATR
Old June 9th, 2011, 10:04 AM
New Forum User

I can answer some of your questions immediately:

a. I have played the final DVD disk in two TVs and on my PC (WMP) all give the same result. (No problem when the Project is played in Pre7).

b. I need to finish this video today (one way or the other) so i will need to investigate this later.

c. I will do this now and expect to get a result in an hour. I have tried the "Field Options/always deinterlace" previously and without effect, but I will try again. When I exported the freeze frame to PSE 7, I just sent it back again without any further processing.

d i have cleared the timeline of unwanted "fragments. The freeze frame automatically inserts itself in video track 1, creating a space eual to its length. I have the desired title in video track 2
Old June 9th, 2011, 11:18 AM
New Forum User

Success! Using the procedure you described in "c" in you last post, all is fine.
I did find a couple of empty titles in video track 4 which may have overlapped the freeze frame (which were scrolled "off screen") and which I removed. In addition I deinterlaced the associated title of the freeze frame - seemed a good idea.

Many thanks for your help.

Jim.

PS There is an oustanding issue of mine in this forum concerning "Jittery video" I haven't forgotten about this and I will be revisiting it soon.
Old June 9th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Jim

Great, great news. Thanks for the follow up.

We will be watching for your progress when you get the chance.

Continued success.

Thanks.

ATR
Old March 21st, 2012, 08:38 PM
New Forum User

Question Freeze frame to photo question

Hi, I am a new participant here; this thread is the closest to my question so I am piggybacking here.

I have been using freeze frame to capture a still image from video. I only get poor quality images - much less quality than the video I see in the editor. I am only able to use the camera icon. The Menu/File/export is grey.

I have been pretty frustrated over the past year in not being able to get a good image, which I need for print brochures and slide shows for my small business. Having found this forum, I have some hope!
Old March 21st, 2012, 08:51 PM
Senior Contributor

CatB

Please start your own new thread on your situation, and we will get working on resolving the problem immediately.

I always write
a. Problems with the same symptoms can (often do) have different causes.
and
b. The answers are in the details.
and
c. Start your own new thread rather than tack your question on to an older thread even though its title looks inviting.

Need lots of answers. I will be waiting for you in your own new thread.

Thanks.

ATR