Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old June 5th, 2011, 10:46 PM
New Forum User

Adding Music to Slideshow

I am presently making a slideshow in Elements 9 and having difficulty adding the music. I add the song from a folder on my computer, however, when I play the preview, the music is not very clear - quite raspy & scratchy. When I click the button on the right for clipping the music, it sounds perfect. I burned a trial DVD and it didn't sound good. I never had this problem in previous versions of Elements. Any suggestions on what might be happening? Thank you.
Arlene
Old June 6th, 2011, 03:09 AM
Enlightened Elder

Hi Arlene ...

Are you using a Mac or Windows ?

Wendy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"

Old June 6th, 2011, 07:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Arlene

The question may not be so much what your operating system is but rather what program you are working with...Photoshop Elements or Premiere Elements.

This has all the sounds of being a Premiere Elements question. If so, I will transfer this thread to the Premiere Elements Forum here so that it does not get mixed, lost, overlooked, or misinterpreted among the Photoshop Elements ones?

I will watch for your response so as to plan appropriate troubleshooting strategy.

Looking forward to your follow up.

ATR
Old June 6th, 2011, 10:29 PM
New Forum User

Hi and thanks for the help. I am using PSE9 - I also have Premiere Elements - however, I have not really learned how to use it very well. I usually create my slideshow in Elements and then output to Premiere in order to burn a DVD. My operating system is Windows 7. I have converted the songs in iTnes to mp3 from m4a and have kept both versions in my music. It sounds perfect when I want to clip the music - button on right - however, when I hit preview the music is terrible. This goes for music I have purchased from iTune as well as CD's which I have loaded into iTunes. At the moment, I am really disliking iTunes - never had this problem in the past - before I used iTunes. I also burned the music onto a CD - which sounds great - and also copied it onto a flash drive. Same thing - sounds good playing from those but not in the slideshow. Thanks again for any help
Arlene
Old June 7th, 2011, 07:07 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm going to butt in here, but really, ATR is your best source to solve your problem.

I don't know if your problem is the software or the music.

However, I'm not a fan of I-tunes restrictiveness and butt in your business style.

Until ATR can solve your problem, my suggestion is if you want to use music from a CD, don't load it into I-tunes - just copy it into a folder on your hard drive.
Epson R1900; Epson NX430 Printers
Nikon Coolpix S8200 Camera

Old June 7th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Arlene

I will be back later today with more suggestions, but for now

a. What are the pixel dimensions of the photos that you are bringing into the Filmstrip of the Photoshop Elements Slideshow Editor?

b. For troubleshooting purposes, what does the music sound like if you use the sample music that came with your computer operating system instead of the iTunes ones converted to mp3?

c. Where are you and what exactly are you doing when you say
Quote:
It sounds perfect when I want to clip the music - button on right - however, when I hit preview the music is terrible.
For "clip", are you in Properties Trim Audio? And, for "preview", are you pressing the play in Properties under Trim Audio OR are you using the play at the bottom of the Slideshow Editor Monitor?

From the above, I am hoping to define the issue as to music versus program and get at some other clues that might direct our troubleshooting.

ATR
Old June 7th, 2011, 10:22 PM
New Forum User

Thanks ATR.
(a) pixel dimension is large - photos are at least 5mb and one photo said pixel dimension was 3147X4720. I'm not sure how to resize this as I want to keep the original size for prints but know that the program would probably work faster with a smaller image size. Is there a way to keep the photos in both sizes?
(b) I have not tried any of the sample music - not sure where that might be - I may have deleted that as I never used it and didn't particularly like it or see any use for it.
(c) When I click on the added music - I then click on play in the Trim Audio & it sounds fine. However, when I click on play - under the preview in slideshow editor, it sounds bad.

This is my usual workflow - collect photos - usually about 200 - edit them - tag them in either New Album or Smart Album - at top right of organiser - not sure which one. It allows me to organize the photos in the order I want them to play in the slideshow. I then click on Share & Create Slideshow. At this point, I add the transtions, music, text, etc. I then output to Premiere Elements 9 in order to burn a DVD. I usually use 4-5 songs. In this current project, two of the songs - purchased thru iTunes sound perfect - the other 3 - also purchased thru iTunes sound bad.

I have been doing it this way since PSE6 & Premiere 4 and never had the problem til now. I didn't use iTunes previously so that is new but so is Eleemtns 9.

Thanks again for your help
Arlene