Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old May 25th, 2011, 08:59 AM
New Forum User

Making a Bokeh brush.

Hi everyone.

I wonder if someone could help me please.

I'm trying to make something like this :

http://desktop-world.info/2009/05/bokeh/

I can do something similar using simple brushes and some other specifically Bokeh brushes I got. But they are basically just discs and I want a disc with a border like you see in that wallpaper.

I tried making a brush and using stroke to give it a border. Trouble is the transparency affect both the disc and the shape. How can I make a brush where the inside is somewhat transparent and the border more solid, so I get the effect shown above ?

Is that possible in Elements and how can it be done ?

Many thanks
Old May 25th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Senior Contributor

There are lots of free ones out there but here are some tuts for creating your own.
http://www.photoshopwebsite.com/phot...free-download/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~kimi~

Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

shoots a Nikon D800.
Old May 25th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi MrMorph... Put your disk and the stroke on separate layers, then you can control their transparencies separately.

Diana

Itís not happy people who are thankful, itís thankful people who are happy.

~ Canon 5D Mark II ~ Canon Rebel XTi ~ EF70-200 f/2.8L ~ EF85 f/1.8 ~ EF24-70 f/2.8 ~ EF 24-105 f4 L IS ~ EF 50mm f/1.8 II ~ Canon PowerShot S95 ~ Canon PowerShot SX50 HS ~ Windows 7 ~ PSE 11 & 12 ~ PS CC ~ Lightroom5 ~ Pro Show Producer ~ Corel Painter X ~ Printers: Canon Pixma Pro9500 Mark II, HP Deskjet 882C, HP LaserJet 1200 ~
Old May 25th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Kimi gave some nice tutorials. I was curious if I could make an effect in PSE like you meant. And yes it can be done in PSE. In this case I looked for the principles and not so much for the effect. This is what I did:

1. I made a circle with a white inner area with the custom shape tool. (For the sake of this experiment. You can make a circle in another way with more variation in color, transparency and thickness).
2. With the magic wand tool I selected the color that I wanted.
3. Placed the selection on a new (transparent) layer and deleted the background layer.

I wondered if I made the brush (Edit ->"make brush out of this selection") whether the tranparency should be saved. And luckily it did.

1. I opened a new blanc file (background white) and put a second transparent layer above it.
2.Choose the brushtool and changed the settings for the dynamics of the brush.
3. Chose the brush I made and added the brushstrokes.
4. I made a new transparant layer under the brushstrokes and added a gradient.

You can vary the size of the brush, the transparency and the dynamics. And of course the gradients.

I hope this give you also a sense of direction. In case of questions please post back. I inclued a screenshot of my project.

Hans

PSE 12 / Elements XXL / Windows 7 / Lightroom 5 / Photomatix Pro 5 / Topaz bundle / Perfect Photo Suite 8
Nikon D7000 with fixed and zoom lenses from 10.5 mm - 400 mm

The perfection is not achieved in one pass.

Old May 25th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Senior Contributor

In the meantime I read Diana's post. Wonderful. That gives a lot of flexibility.
I will sure try the effect. Maybe one time it can be a Be creative tutorial.
Hans

PSE 12 / Elements XXL / Windows 7 / Lightroom 5 / Photomatix Pro 5 / Topaz bundle / Perfect Photo Suite 8
Nikon D7000 with fixed and zoom lenses from 10.5 mm - 400 mm

The perfection is not achieved in one pass.

Old May 25th, 2011, 12:14 PM
New Forum User

Thanks everyone. I will try those tutorials. At the moment I can't find a brush that seems to work the way I want and they have thicker borders than I want.

Havoc, thanks, I will give that a go.

And Diana. I'm not quite sure how I do that. I made my disc. Created a new layer and tried to apply the stroke to the new layer but nothing happens. I guess I am missing some step ?

Could you explain as if I am an idiot, which should not be too hard to imagine lol
Old May 25th, 2011, 01:04 PM
New Forum User

I've found another way thanks to a couple of threads I found :

Adobe Forum - Blending options.

Has PSE 8 Got A "Fill" Slider In The Layers Window?

You can do it with one layer, the steps I pieced together are :

1. Create a new blank file that is transparent.
2. Set fill or forground colour to black.
3. Draw a filled black circle.
4. Set the fill opacity.

Quote from second link :

Quote:
To change the fill opacity in photoshop elements 8 use the
keyboard shortcut, Shift+number. That is Shift+1 is 10% fill
and Shift+0 is 100% fill. To get a fill of say 5%, press Shift+05
or Shift + any two numbers in a row to get other fill %'s.
Also under the layer styles in photoshop elements there is a
layer style set named Visibility, which has three styles: Show
100% fill, Ghosted 50% fill, and Hide 0% fill. The fill keyboard
shortcuts won't work if you have any of the paint tools selected.
These shortcuts should work in other photoshop elements versions
as well.
5. Now apply your stroke.
6. Get the circle selected and define it as a brush.
7. Good to go

Last edited by MrMorph; May 25th, 2011 at 01:30 PM. Reason: to clarify
Old May 25th, 2011, 01:06 PM
New Forum User

Screenshot...and example brush.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg readytomakeBrush.jpg (70.8 KB, 11 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip BokehMrMorph.zip (9.7 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by MrMorph; May 25th, 2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old May 25th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Here is a nice free brush set.
http://www.obsidiandawn.com/bokeh-ph...p-gimp-brushes

And here is a bunch of wonderful textures with a bokah effect that you can add to your image to get a very realistic effect. Just add on top of your image. Transform the textures size to fill your image and change the texture blend mode to soft light.
http://shadowhousecreations.blogspot...ch/label/Bokeh

I used one of the bokah textures from Shadow House on my challenge image last week.

~kimi~

Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

shoots a Nikon D800.

Last edited by kimi_boo; May 25th, 2011 at 02:35 PM.
Old May 25th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMorph View Post
And Diana. I'm not quite sure how I do that. I made my disc. Created a new layer and tried to apply the stroke to the new layer but nothing happens. I guess I am missing some step ?

Could you explain as if I am an idiot, which should not be too hard to imagine lol
Create a new blank file with a white background.

Create a new blank layer for the disc. I used the Elliptical Marquee to drag out a circular selection on the blank layer. After starting to drag, hold the Shift key down to constrict the ellipse to a circle. Fill it with a gray shade.

Create another new blank layer for the stroke. With that layer active, Ctrl-click on the circle layer below. This will return a selection in the shape of the circle.

From the menu: Edit > Stroke (Outline) Selection. When the Stroke dialog window opens, enter a pixel width, click the color box and select a darker shade of gray than the circle. For Location, select Inside, then click OK.

Returning to your image, press Ctrl-D to deselect. Now, since both your disc and your stroke are on separate layers, you can tweak the opacity of each by dragging the Opacity slider in their respective layers.

Then define your brush.

Hope this helps.

Diana

Itís not happy people who are thankful, itís thankful people who are happy.

~ Canon 5D Mark II ~ Canon Rebel XTi ~ EF70-200 f/2.8L ~ EF85 f/1.8 ~ EF24-70 f/2.8 ~ EF 24-105 f4 L IS ~ EF 50mm f/1.8 II ~ Canon PowerShot S95 ~ Canon PowerShot SX50 HS ~ Windows 7 ~ PSE 11 & 12 ~ PS CC ~ Lightroom5 ~ Pro Show Producer ~ Corel Painter X ~ Printers: Canon Pixma Pro9500 Mark II, HP Deskjet 882C, HP LaserJet 1200 ~

Last edited by Diana; May 25th, 2011 at 03:02 PM.