Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old May 15th, 2011, 03:15 AM
New Forum User

Magic Eraser - How remove white background

I want to insert the graphic typings from a logo into picture. Using Magic Eraser I can click the white background away. But I cannot save the selected logo without the white background coming with it. On a PSE-course I was told to make the selection in a copy of the background layer - and delete the orginal background layer. Click away the white areas and save as a PSE-doc. I was also told to make sure that "show bounding box" was selected. It worked on the PSE course, but unfortunately not on my computer. What can be wrong?
Old May 15th, 2011, 03:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bente Michelsen View Post
I want to insert the graphic typings from a logo into picture. Using Magic Eraser I can click the white background away. But I cannot save the selected logo without the white background coming with it. On a PSE-course I was told to make the selection in a copy of the background layer - and delete the orginal background layer. Click away the white areas and save as a PSE-doc. I was also told to make sure that "show bounding box" was selected. It worked on the PSE course, but unfortunately not on my computer. What can be wrong?
It's important to know that the final file format cannot be .jpg, which does not support transparency. So you have to choose either .png, .tiff or photoshop .psd format.
Also, you have to work on a normal layer, not a background, hence the advice to work on a copy.
And the .PSE format is not an image format, it's a project format which can't be read by other softwares.
Saving your result as .png is probably the best choice.

Windows XP/Win7-64 - LR 5.6, PSE6 -10-11-12.1, Elements+ - smartcurves - Faststone - Canon 20D Sigma 17/70mm. Canon 50 1.8 - Fuji X100S, Lumix TZ6.
Old May 15th, 2011, 05:23 AM
New Forum User

Magic Eraser - how to move white background

Thanks for reply. oh yes I know I have to save as PSD (sorry not PSE, I wrote wrong). I have now tried to make a normal layer and deleted the background layer. But I can still not get the Magic Eraser to work - tried with the Magic Wand Tool, and the "transform selection" and save as PSD. Also in this situation the white background will not disappear.
What do I still need to do?
Why won't the Magic Eraser tool not work ? (I have tried the Magic eraser editing a photo, which did work - so it cannot be a programme problem)
Old May 15th, 2011, 06:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Bente, not quite sure what you mean by graphic typings, but have you tried selecting the graphic typings and pasting it?
Select the graphic typings using the magic wand, either click on it or click on the background and do an inverse. This will silhouette the item and allow you to move it without the background.
Old May 15th, 2011, 07:30 AM
New Forum User

Magic Eraser

Thank you very much, Frank. This helped: after selecting with the magic wand I could move the typing to a photo without the white background. I am happy with this solution for now.

But still wondering what is wrong, since I cannot get the magic eraser tool to work.

Best regards
Bente (new user and forum member)
Old May 15th, 2011, 07:47 AM

Hi Bente and welcome to the forum.

I'm glad Frank was able to help you out with a solution to extracting the logo. As far as your magic eraser, have you tried to reset the tool? In order to do that:

• Select the magic eraser tool
  • Go to the tool option bar (right above your workspace)
  • Click the small triangle at the far left of the tool option bar
  • Choose "reset tool" from the options
If that doesn't sort things out, could you please describe exactly what happens when you attempt to remove something with the magic eraser?

Click
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for my blog

Mac OS 10.9
PSE12, CS6, PSCC
Lightroom 5

Canon 5DmII, EF 24-105mm f/4L USM, EF 135mm f/2.0L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
Old May 15th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Senior Contributor

Bente, why would you want to use the magic eraser when this is a more accurate way of treating this situation?
The magic eraser is best used when you have one photo on a second photo, not type.
Old May 15th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Frequent Contributor

Bente

Concerning the Magic Eraser, perhaps this is happening ...
When you erase on the duplicate layer, the original layer (which is below the duplicate) is showing through . turn off the original layer.

HTH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MacMini, PSE 12, Adobe Bridge CS4

"Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information upon it." Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)
Old May 15th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Not sure this has anything to do with OP's problems

... but, be sure - when you open a jpg and want to erase parts of it - that you are not working on a background layer.

To change a background layer to a regular layer, alt double click on the background layer in the layers palette and it should change to Layer 0.

I WOULD THEN SAVE MY PHOTO WITH A NEW NAME SO AS NOT TO ACCIDENTALLY WRITE OVER THE ORIGINAL.

The reason you need to change your background layer to a regular layer??

...is because, if you erase on a background layer - what will appear as you erase - is the background color that you have set in your background/foreground colors - NOT TRANSPARENCY.

What confuses some people is that the default background color is white. Erase while a layer is still a background layer and the default background color you have is white - and what you will get is white wherever you erase.

Try changing your background color to red - and note that erasures on a background layer results in red being left. It's all about the background color.

If you erase on a regular layer - what will appear as you erase is transparency. Then if you save as a png, this transparency is maintained.

If you save as a jpg, white replaces the transparency you just achieved by erasure and you are back at square one.

This is what caught me up when I was still learning about background layers and erasing.

I reread what I wrote and I'm not sure I made myself clear - so...

just trust me - change your background layer to a regular layer before you erase -- then save your project as a png -- and you should have smooth sailing.
Epson R1900; Epson NX430 Printers
Nikon Coolpix S8200 Camera

Last edited by cats4jan; May 15th, 2011 at 04:00 PM.