Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old April 16th, 2011, 10:34 AM
New Forum User

New Computer and No pics in Organizer

My old computer recently crashed. I was running Vista and PSE8. I always backed up using a "Click Free" external hard drive. I purchased a new computer that runs Windows 7. I installed PSE8 with no problem. I plugged in my "Click Free" and did a "restore." All my files were transfered. But I go to my organizer and there are no pics in my organizer.

I went to "File" then "Restore Catalog from CD, DVD, or Hard Drive" then I clicked on "Hard Drive" and then I am supposed to locate the "Backup File" by clicking on "Browse." In short, I am not sure that this is what I am supposed to be doing and when I browse I am not sure what I am looking for. I have been reading the posts on here and they are pretty much over my head. I need some help, please. I have about 6000 photos with tags and everything. I hope someone can help me. Any assistance is GREATLY APPRECIATED.
Old April 16th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Senior Contributor

If, on the old computer, you issued the Organizer command File->Backup Catalog, then there will be a file to restore. If you didn't do this, then File->Restore Catalog will not work.

If your "Click Free" backed up your catalog file (it's name is *.pse8db) then you need to find that. Or, if you can find your catalog file on the old computer, that is what you need. If you can't find it, and you don't have a backup, you will have to start from scratch.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Photos
Old April 16th, 2011, 11:44 AM
New Forum User

Oh, gosh. I hate to hear this. I have NEVER done a "File" then "Backup Catalog." Simply because I didn't know to do this. I have learned everything on PSE simply by "doing" and I just didn't know to do this. I "assumed" that since my catalog was there everytime I opened the program, that is was "saved."

I looked on my "Click Free" backup and there is no file named ".pse8db. My old computer won't boot due to a bad power supply. It is an HP Slimline, is going on five years old, and it was going to cost $170 to repair, so I decided to purchase new computer. Would this file that I need be on the old hard drive even if I didn't do the "File" then "Backup Catalog" command? If so, what could I do next?

Thank you so much for the reponse. Good to know there are other users out there willing to help.
Old April 16th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Senior Contributor

If the problem you have with your old computer is due to the power supply, your old disk is probably ok.
You could perhaps : install the old disk as a second hard disk in your new computer : maybe a friend or parent could help you ?
Alternatively, you can find external disk housings with USB which could receive your old disk.
Both methods would enable you to recover everything.

Windows XP/Win7-64 - LR 5.6, PSE6 -10-11-12.1, 13 Elements+ - smartcurves - Faststone - Perfect Photo Suite 9 - Canon 20D Sigma 17/70mm. Canon 50 1.8 - Fuji X100S, Lumix TZ6.
Old April 16th, 2011, 04:06 PM
New Forum User

That sounds like a good idea. Since I had Vista and now have Windows 7, would I be able to do that with ease? They wouldn't "clash" or anything like that? I think getting a housing would be a good idea. I didn't know I could do that.

And I guess I should ask this: If I never did a "File" then "Backup Catalog," then would there be a file to recover from the old hard disk?

Last edited by BarbieMB; April 16th, 2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old April 16th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Senior Contributor

You're not looking for a backup, you're looking for the "original". So yes, there is something valuable to recover from the old hard disk.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Photos
Old April 16th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Frequent Contributor

It is real easy to put the old hard drive from the older computer into a external box. You can do it yourself without any problem. Open up your old computer, and remove the hard drive. Be sure and ground yourself on the case first, then remove it, and handle carefully, and take it to computer store if you have one near you. They then can tell you which box you need that will fit the drive. Install the drive into the external box, then plub into your usb port, and the computer will give it a drive letter which will not be "C" but another letter vacan in the chain. If you have card readers on the new computer they will prob be useing the E, F, G, and etc. letters. You can find it by clicking on the drive letters from whatever file browser you use. In fact I have several external boxes from older computers. They make nice double extra back ups.

PSE 5,7,8,9, 10 Win XP, Win 7 8GB Ram 1 T Hard drive, CS 5, Premier Elements 10, Nikon 5100 with two Lens
Old April 16th, 2011, 08:55 PM
New Forum User

This is all very interesting. This sounds very doable. But if the file is on the old hard drive, wouldn't it have been backed up onto my "Click Free" back up drive? If so, wouldn't it have transfered to the new computer?
Old April 16th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Frequent Contributor

I hope someone else will come in on this, but a backup is a copy of your original hard disk, but sometimes with backup you must retrieve the whole back up and copy to your new hard drive, and since you got a new computer, you would not want to copy everything over, I do not think, but if you put the old hard drive which was the "C" drive on win computers, then you can copy just what you need to the new computer. Maybe some of the experts will be around after the week end.

PSE 5,7,8,9, 10 Win XP, Win 7 8GB Ram 1 T Hard drive, CS 5, Premier Elements 10, Nikon 5100 with two Lens
Old April 17th, 2011, 04:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbieMB View Post
This is all very interesting. This sounds very doable. But if the file is on the old hard drive, wouldn't it have been backed up onto my "Click Free" back up drive? If so, wouldn't it have transfered to the new computer?
I don't know how your "Click Free" backup drive works, but I can tell you that if you succeed in installing your old drive externally you'll be able to recover all your pictures and the catalog. And, as mentionned earlier, you'll have additional disk space for data or backups! You'll be able to use the 'restore' function of the organizer to do so.
http://www.johnrellis.com/psedbtool/..._your_photos_1
Just ask when you are ready...

Windows XP/Win7-64 - LR 5.6, PSE6 -10-11-12.1, 13 Elements+ - smartcurves - Faststone - Perfect Photo Suite 9 - Canon 20D Sigma 17/70mm. Canon 50 1.8 - Fuji X100S, Lumix TZ6.

Tags
backup, new computer, organizer, restore