Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old April 10th, 2011, 12:29 PM
New Forum User

How to make a logo (without white background)?

I created and played with a few logos (just text no images) and started out on transparent. Later saved as web, or saved as png, all different it still shows a white background if I want to use it as a watermark or logo on website.
What do I do wrong?
I used a 'manual' step by step and did not do anything different, it only is different after the logo is created and still shows white background....
Old April 10th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Senior Contributor

When you opened your new blank canvas to create your logo, did you start with a transparent background? That is - did you see a blank canvas filled with a checkerboard? If you saw a solid background, you opened a project with a white background.

In order to have a png with transparency around what your create - you need to start with a transparent background. Just saving something as a png will not make the white area around it transparent.

Note in this screen - under "background contents" - one of your options is "transparent" - you need to start a new blank file with a transparent background. Then you will need to save your project as a png. If you save it as a jpg, the transparent area will fill with white.

Click on the thumbnail to go to a larger size where it will be easier to read.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blank-file.jpg (52.2 KB, 17 views)
Epson R1900; Epson NX430 Printers
Nikon Coolpix S8200 Camera

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by cats4jan; April 10th, 2011 at 12:57 PM.
Old April 11th, 2011, 12:12 AM
New Forum User

Well, that is the problem. Like I said I started a new file with a transparent background, exactly as your attachment (checker board). That's why I don't understand what I did wrong, did really follow step-by-step instructions to create logo.
Old April 11th, 2011, 12:26 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameragirl View Post
Well, that is the problem. Like I said I started a new file with a transparent background, exactly as your attachment (checker board). That's why I don't understand what I did wrong, did really follow step-by-step instructions to create logo.
An easy way out is to create two duplicate. Put a selection box (marching ants) around the second duplicate. so that it shows the chequerboard. go to the bottom duplicate, click on the eye to deselect it. then go to the top duplicate, select it then click on the magic Wand tool goto the image in the editing area click on the white and it should select most of it, then hit the delete key on your keyboard. Most of the white should disappear, you can repeat the process for any white that remains like inside letter "O"s etc when done save as a PSD file. which you can drag into any image you want to add a Logo to and just free transform it to get the size right. That is all I do.
Hope this helps

Ron
PSE5/7/& 10, Premiere Elements 5/7/10, Lightroom 5 Perfect Effects 4
Win
7(32Bit) on a Dell 17" Studio Laptop
and Win 7(64bit) on AMD 2.7Ghz Desktop with 12Gb Ram and 2Tb HDD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old April 11th, 2011, 12:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi cameragirl,

Here is another alternative.

1. Create a new file with a solid background.

2. Type the text for your logo. (In the Layers palette, you should now have two layers -- the text layer and the solid background layer.)

3. Click on the eye next to the background layer to hide it.

4. Save as PNG.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (54.8 KB, 12 views)

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." -- Mark Twain
Old April 11th, 2011, 05:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi Cameragirl,

Just to be certain, what happens when you re-open the png file in PSE? Does it show a transparent background in PSE and then display as white when you try to place it on your website?
Old April 12th, 2011, 12:14 AM
Senior Contributor

Another way to do this is to select the text and put it on it's own transparent layer by clicking Ctrl.+J, then check off the visibility of the background and use >Save As< and save as TIFF.

Stephan

PC- Win7/64 bit, 3Ghz, 8GB Ram, 1TB HD, 2TB EHD,
PSE8 (no more),CS5 Extended,-Epson Stylus1440, Epson Artisan 810, Epson Stylus Pro 3880
Cameras:
Film: Pentax 645nII, Canon EOS 1v, - Glass: SMC-A 645 35mm f/3.5, SMC-A 55mm f/2.8, SMC-FA 75mm f/2.8, SMC-A 150mm f/3.5, SMC-FA 120mm f/4 macro, SMC-FA 45-85mm f/4.5. SMC-A 80-160mm f/4.5

Digital: Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon EOS 5D Mark III - Glass: EF 28-135mmf/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L II USM, EF 70-200mm f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 400mm f/5.6 L USM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, 135mm f/2.0L USM, MP 65mm/2.8 1x-5x macro lens Teleconverter 1.4x III, Flash: 2x 580EXII, 1x 600EX RT. 1x ST-3E RT, 3x Pocket Wizard TT5

Tripods and Monopods by Canon, Monostat, Sunpak, Slik, Manfrotto,Sirui and Sachtler

"Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
Old April 12th, 2011, 01:57 AM
New Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieM View Post
Hi Cameragirl,

Just to be certain, what happens when you re-open the png file in PSE? Does it show a transparent background in PSE and then display as white when you try to place it on your website?
Yes that is exactly what it does.
I make three text boxes, three names which will be all together one logo. Maybe something did go wrong here? I created three text boxes, three different layers. Then saved it once as psd, one as jpeg and one for the web. No matter which one, they all turn out with white background.
Old April 12th, 2011, 04:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameragirl View Post
Then saved it once as psd, one as jpeg and one for the web. No matter which one, they all turn out with white background.
These will all show a white background. You need to save as a png to achieve transparency.

Bayla

and

Old April 12th, 2011, 04:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi Cameragirl,

Bayla is correct..............you should save the file as a PNG in order for the transparency to be preserved on your website. You mentioned trying the PNG format in your first post, so I'm wondering if you've already done that? I use PNGs with transparent backgrounds on my site, so you should not have problems.