Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Premiere Elements

Old February 19th, 2011, 03:50 AM
New Forum User

Memory requirements of Premiere Elements 9

I have recently installed Premiere Elements 9. It recognises correctly m2ts files, but I still get the warning "low memory" (with the computer bocking itself) if I upload all the files of my latest holidays.

I am thinking of buying a new computer around an Intel Core i7-2600 chip, Windows 7 and a lot of memory. How much memory can Premiere Elements 9 (Windows 7) actually use? Does it make sense to go to 16 GB or even to 32GB?

Many thanks,

Fabio
Old February 19th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Fabio

Premiere Elements (any version to date) is a 32 bit application which runs in the 32 bit compatibility mode of a 64 bit system and as such has the limitations of 32 bit, namely, maximum supported installed RAM (physical memory) = 4 GB of which about 3 GB or less of it are available. It is the 64 bit application in the 64 bit system that can take full advantage of the 64 bit system resources. Premiere Pro CS5 is a 64 bit application, not Premiere Elements 9 which remains a 32 bit application.

The 32 bit application in a 64 bit system does gain the advantage of a virtual memory (different from physical memory RAM) perk in a 64 bit system. I believe that the Premiere Elements header is written to support a 4 GB virtual address space/process instead of 2 GB.

By the way, what is the duration of the Timeline content when you get these low memory messages and what else have you added to the Timeline besides your source video (titles, transitions, effects, other)? From what you wrote, I have assumed that you are working with AVCHD Full (1920 x 1080).m2ts.

Multitasking in a 64 bit system will no doubt be advanced with more RAM, but the situation remains the same for the Premiere Elements 9 application as mentioned above.

ATR

Last edited by ATR; February 19th, 2011 at 09:06 AM.
Old February 19th, 2011, 12:13 PM
New Forum User

Smile Memory requirements of PE9

Dear ATR,

many thanks for the clear answer about the capacity of the current versions of Premiere Elements to address memory.

My problem is the following one. My previous camera (RIP) was producing "avi" files. During a typical holiday I was shooting hours of video, which I would then upload to PE3 (and later PE7) to cut and edit them to a video of about an hour and a half which I would eventually burn on a DVD. I have loaded more than 3 or 4 hours of video on PE3 without major difficulties.

Now my new camera produces "m2ts" files (1440 x 980). PE9 recognizes them. I was able to edit and burn a DVD of about 10 minutes without any difficulty. But when I tried loading all the files of a recent holiday in Italy, the system collapsed. It sent the "low memory" message and eventually got stuck.

I cannot upload only part of the files. Sometimes I may want to move to the end of my video a scene that I shot at the beginning of the holidays.

I would like to be able to work with "m2ts" files in the same way I was working with the "avi" ones.

What is the answer? Should I convert the files to another format and loose the HD? Should I buy Premiere Pro CS5?

Thanks,

Fabio
Old February 19th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Fabio

Please confirm the properties of those .m2ts files with which you are working...instead of 1440 x 980, do you mean 1440 x 1080? What is the brand and model recording these present videos? Until now I have been assuming that your camera is recording with the AVCHD (MPEG4 AVC/H.264) video compression. AVCHD Full is the 1920 x 1080 16:9 square pixels or the non Full 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9. I am almost certain that you must be working with AVCHD, not HDV (MPEG2). But, let me have you confirm that so we take nothing for granted.

One of the remedies for dealing with AVCHD and compromised computer resources is to convert it into a less resource demanding format. Example, converting the AVCHD 1920 x 1080 16:9 to MPEG2 HD 1920 x 1080 16:9 for starter with a free software such as Koyote Soft HD Converter (v1.7).
http://www.koyotesoft.com/indexEn.html
But let us confirm what you have before we move forward on any conversion idea.

When you were dealing with your .avi files, were they SD standard or widescreen? If that, the frame size of those were 720 x 480 (NTSC) or 720 x 576 (PAL) far far less computer resource demanding.

What was the duration of the files being loaded that collapsed the system (minutes/hours)? What was Premiere Elements project preset (new project dialog) set at? How were you "uploading" these files to Premiere Elements...Get Media/Files and Folders or other?

If you have large AVCHD files and projects, use of Premiere Pro CS5 as video editor may be one the way to give your software access to more computer resources.

But, let us make sure of the details of the present situation.
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/quick_start.html
This free software should give you valuable file information.

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR
Old February 19th, 2011, 09:18 PM
New Forum User

Re: Memory requirements of Premiere Elements 9

Hi

Have you tried increasing the virtual memory on the pc to see if that helps. It maybe managed by Windows at the moment which can cause issues. You don't mention your operating system or how much physical memory you have so I can't be specific how to do it but Google is your friend.
Old February 19th, 2011, 09:48 PM
Senior Contributor

GrandPaClanger

From Fabio description it sounds like a Windows 7 operating system and, since Fabio is thinking about 16 to 32 GB installed RAM, it appears likely that the Windows 7 is 64 bit, not 32 bit.

Premiere Elements (any version) is a 32 bit application with the limitations of 32 bit even in a 64 bit system...maximum supported installed RAM 4 GB of which 3 GB or less of that is available. On the virtual memory side, if this is indeed a 64 bit system, Fabio will get a 4 GB virtual address space for the application/process, not 2 GB. (The 3 GB Switch to gain more virtual address space in 32 bit system is not applicable to 32 bit application in a 64 bit system.) And, it should be pointed out, Premiere Elements appears to have its header written to support each of these instances.

If necessary, I will pull some more references on the Memory Limits in Windows...here is a starter..
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=vs.85%29.aspx
http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussi...7/3155406.aspx

ATR
Old February 21st, 2011, 07:49 AM
New Forum User

Memory requirements of PE9

ATR,

The .m2ts files I work with are produced by a Sony camera HDR-CX520VE. Its handbook claims that the files it generates are "compatible" with the format MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 AVCHD.

I thought my files could be 1440 x 1080 (980 was a typo) simply because this was the "setting" that PE9 offered me when I first uploaded the files. I have tried creating a new project, selecting the settings for 1920 x1080 and loading my clips. I obtained a message saying that my clips were in a different format. I was prompted to adjust the settings to the format of my clips and PE9 reverted to 1440 x 1080

When I was working with ".avi" files they were widescreen 720 x 576 (PAL) and on one occasion I loaded into the program (PE3) more than three hours of video.

With PE9 and the ".m2ts' files I had a first blockage of the system when I uploaded 5.6 GB of files via the "Get Media/Files" options.

I managed to reopen the project and start dragging files to the sceneline menu. The program said that enough was enough when I had about an hour of files dragged into the sceneline (that was probably about half of my clips). When I reopened the program again I could still view about 55 minutes of clips, but many had disappeared from the "video" section of the sceneline menu. I rebooted the computer and reopened the program and I had even fewer clips in the "video" section of the sceneline, although the program was still showing about 55 minutes of film in the main viewing menu. Obviously the program had reached the end of its capacity.

Fabio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATR View Post
Fabio

Please confirm the properties of those .m2ts files with which you are working...instead of 1440 x 980, do you mean 1440 x 1080? What is the brand and model recording these present videos? Until now I have been assuming that your camera is recording with the AVCHD (MPEG4 AVC/H.264) video compression. AVCHD Full is the 1920 x 1080 16:9 square pixels or the non Full 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9. I am almost certain that you must be working with AVCHD, not HDV (MPEG2). But, let me have you confirm that so we take nothing for granted.

One of the remedies for dealing with AVCHD and compromised computer resources is to convert it into a less resource demanding format. Example, converting the AVCHD 1920 x 1080 16:9 to MPEG2 HD 1920 x 1080 16:9 for starter with a free software such as Koyote Soft HD Converter (v1.7).
But let us confirm what you have before we move forward on any conversion idea.

When you were dealing with your .avi files, were they SD standard or widescreen? If that, the frame size of those were 720 x 480 (NTSC) or 720 x 576 (PAL) far far less computer resource demanding.

What was the duration of the files being loaded that collapsed the system (minutes/hours)? What was Premiere Elements project preset (new project dialog) set at? How were you "uploading" these files to Premiere Elements...Get Media/Files and Folders or other?

If you have large AVCHD files and projects, use of Premiere Pro CS5 as video editor may be one the way to give your software access to more computer resources.

But, let us make sure of the details of the present situation.
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/quick_start.html
This free software should give you valuable file information.

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR
Old February 21st, 2011, 09:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Fabio

Please read the thread pinned to the top of this forum regarding the pains of AVCHD editing in Premiere Elements and other video editors.
http://www.elementsvillage.com/forum...ad.php?t=51400
The thread was written in the days of Premiere Elements 8, but the principles are still applicable to the Premiere Elements 9 situation.

AVCHD video codec is often seen represented as "MPEG4 AVC/H.264". And, this video compression is being used by your camcorder for the HD modes. By contrast, your camcorder SD modes use MPEG2 compression.

AVCHD is a very resource demanding format so it would be expected that you found it possible to process far longer projects in SD than in AVCHD.

As I said previously, you are working with a 32 bit application in a 64 bit system. So, you are going to be dealing with 3 GB or less of available RAM (remember 32 bit system, maximum supported installed RAM = 4 GB). Even with tweaking memory in your computer environment, I think that you will be hitting "enough is enough" sooner than later. We also need to factor in available hard drive space. For your 1 hour plus AVCHD projects, your answer may be in the use of Premiere Pro CS5, a 64 bit application in a 64 bit system where the program/project can take full advantage of the 64 bit resources (8, 16, or more GB installed RAM et al.)

But, let us dig into your present situation to see if there are factors that might extend the duration of your AVCHD Timeline....

1. Premiere Elements 9/9.0.1 Project Preset.
The project preset (new project dialog) should match the properties of your source media. So..
a. What recording mode is your Sony CX520VE set at
HD FH = 1920 x 1080 50i with bitrate of 16 Mbps (megabits per second)
HD HQ = 1440 x 1080 50i with bitrate of 9 Mbps
HD SP = 1440 x 1080 50i with bitrate of 7 Mbps
HD LP = 1440 x 1080 50i with bitrate of 5 Mbps
(Since you are in Europe, I have assumed that your frame rate was be 50i instead of 60i...50i, representing 50 fields per second (25 frames per second)
b. What Audio Mode have you set for your Sony CX520VE
5.1 ch SURROUND (5.1 ch)
2 ch Stereo (2ch)
For now I will assume that your recording mode was HD FH and your audio mode was 5.1 ch. In that case, you would set your Premiere Elements project preset (new project dialog) = PAL AVCHD Full HD 1080i25 5.1 channel and, if necessary, look for Field Options in the workspace. If your recording mode was HD HQ, then your project preset (new project dialog) = PAL AVCHD HD 1080i25 5.1 channel.
If you are recording at HD FH, have you looked at recording at HD HQ or HD SP instead? We can discuss those choices and the Premiere Elements 9 project settings involved if necessary.

2. Format Conversion
Many have found that conversion of the AVCHD Full (1920 x 1080 16:9 square pixels) to the less resource demanding MPEG2 HD 1920 x 1080 16:9 made it possible to edit and/or extend the duration of the Timeline successfully. The typical converter used = free Koyote Soft HD Converter (v1.7).

Please review the above and please update me on your progress.

Thank you.

ATR
Old February 21st, 2011, 10:03 AM
New Forum User

Smile Memory requirements of PE9

ATR,

many, many thanks for this exhaustive and very, very rapid answer. I will now start experimenting with converting the files as you suggest.

But I have another question. Would Premiere Pro CS5 really solve my problems? Would it allow me to upload and edit a couple of hours of ".m2ts" files? Would it allow me to burn DVDs or Blue Rays from the edited videos?

I am in the process of changing my computer in any case. I would be prepared to make the jump to Premiere Pro CS5. But, financially, it is a big jump. I would not want to make the expensive transition and then discover that I still have to resort to converting the files.

Many thanks again,

Fabio
Old February 21st, 2011, 12:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Fabio

Never buy new software without first evaluating the tryout version.

But, here is the dilemma with Premiere Pro CS5. Premiere Pro CS5 requires the Encore software as part of its operation. The Encore does the menus and encoding part of the operation. Premiere Pro CS5 and Encore come together under the same purchase price as far as I understand. BUT, there is only a trial version of Premiere Pro CS5, NOT Premiere Pro CS5 plus Encore.

You should surely be able to get well beyond the limits imposed by a 32 bit application/32 bit system with use of the 64 bit application running in the 64 bit system and taking advantage of the computer resources
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=vs.85%29.aspx

I think that the best thing to do is to post your question
Quote:
Would Premiere Pro CS5 really solve my problems? Would it allow me to upload and edit a couple of hours of ".m2ts" files? Would it allow me to burn DVDs or Blue Rays from the edited videos?
at the Premiere Pro CS5 Forum at Adobe where you would expect to get the best first hand advice.
http://forums.adobe.com/community/pr...erepro_current
Because the question and its answer cut to the core of the reliability of Premiere Pro CS5 as well as computer resources.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks you for the follow up.

ATR

Tags
memory, premiere elements 9