Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old February 14th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Known Forum User

sharpening help

in your opinion, can this photo be sharpened enough to makle out the peoples faces. have tried sharpen and unsharp mask, also threshold. any ideas. TIA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

win8pro/64b 12g ram, 3gvideo, 1.5tb hd
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 15th, 2011, 03:08 AM
Senior Contributor

It is rather difficult to see, but I would give it a try. I noticed that when you apply the tonemapping as in the latest creative challenge most of the time the photo will be sharper. (The second method in the demo video). Sometimes even to harsh. Furthermore I would try the emboss filter. Starting with a low value and then perhaps increasing. If that all that not will help I sometimes put the Topazfilter InFocus to work. But unfortunately most of the times I see no improvement as to the PSE-tools.
I hope you can finish your project the way you want.
Hans

PSE 12 / Elements XXL / Windows 7 / Lightroom 5 / Photomatix Pro 5 / Topaz bundle / Perfect Photo Suite 8
Nikon D7000 with fixed and zoom lenses from 10.5 mm - 400 mm

The perfection is not achieved in one pass.

Old February 15th, 2011, 07:04 AM
Casual Forum User

Sometimes, most probably find this weird... lol BUT I have had some luck with find edges- invert as a filter layered somewhere along the build.
High Pass -hard light and High Pass- soft light gives different effects too.

I have learned to use lots of layers, low opacity, and always zoom while making changes.
Many Photoshoppers here at the village, have alot more experience than me, and can give you much better tips.
Good Luck with it hun.

Patti Waggin'
Old February 15th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Known Forum User

There are a lot of JPG artifacts in the picture as posted. I took a stab a correcting color and removing the worst of the color noise and JPG problems, then used the High Pass method to sharpen a bit:

To do high pass sharpening: duplicate the layer and apply the High Pass filter with level set to about 10; change layer blend mode to Hard Light; play with opacity until you get the level of sharpening you are comfortable with.

Unless you can get a higher resolution version of the picture, there is not a lot more you can do (I'd be glad to be proven wrong).
Old February 15th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Known Forum User

Bob, I came up with the same results with a slightly diff aproach. Just not enough detail to begin with.

I just wanted to see if there was sometihing in photoshops ability that I was missing. Thanks for the try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobWarren View Post
There are a lot of JPG artifacts in the picture as posted. I took a stab a correcting color and removing the worst of the color noise and JPG problems, then used the High Pass method to sharpen a bit:

To do high pass sharpening: duplicate the layer and apply the High Pass filter with level set to about 10; change layer blend mode to Hard Light; play with opacity until you get the level of sharpening you are comfortable with.

Unless you can get a higher resolution version of the picture, there is not a lot more you can do (I'd be glad to be proven wrong).

win8pro/64b 12g ram, 3gvideo, 1.5tb hd