Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old February 9th, 2011, 08:02 PM
New Forum User

Cutting an object from the background?

I do a lot of horse manipulations for fun, and a lot of it involves me cutting the horse from the background to put on another background. I'm working with large files. I've tried using the Magic Extraction tool but it hasn't been too useful. Because some of the horse isn't all that obvious at times (against the background), pieces get cut off and it turns out pretty choppy/ugly.

Anyways, what would you suggest for cutting? I'm used to the Pen tool but I no longer have access to that program. I recently purchased Elements 8 (which I do really like) but not having that Pen tool is killing me.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Old February 9th, 2011, 08:53 PM
New Forum User

The polygonal lasso tool works well for solid objects. Just take short strokes in curves, larger on the straighter sections. With a little practice selections can be made pretty fast. Double clicking will cause the ends of the selection to connect, so when you are making short strokes don't click too fast.

Chuck
Old February 9th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Welcome to Elements Village, Abstract.

Good advice, Chuck... that's my favorite selection method. I would add, zoom way in on the subject, the better to see the edge where the subject meets the background. Set the Polygonal Lasso to "Add to Selection" and select the subject in sections. Save the selection sections as you proceed.

Good luck with your selections, Abstract.

Diana

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Itís not happy people who are thankful, itís thankful people who are happy.

~ Canon 5D Mark II ~ Canon Rebel XTi ~ EF70-200 f/2.8L ~ EF85 f/1.8 ~ EF24-70 f/2.8 ~ EF 24-105 f4 L IS ~ EF 50mm f/1.8 II ~ Canon PowerShot S95 ~ Canon PowerShot SX50 HS ~ Windows 7 ~ PSE 11 & 12 ~ PS CC ~ Lightroom5 ~ Pro Show Producer ~ Corel Painter X ~ Printers: Canon Pixma Pro9500 Mark II, HP Deskjet 882C, HP LaserJet 1200 ~
Old February 10th, 2011, 04:15 AM
Enlightened Elder

Hi ...

... and welcome to the Village

There is always more than one way of doing things in Elements and each one of us has our favourite ways. This is mine:

Select the lasso tool (just the ordinary one)
Set it to "Add to" (those little boxes up at the top of the screen ..hover your cursor above then and you will see the one I mean)
Zoom in very close using the zoom tool (it looks like a little magnifying glass)and start your selection.
Just go round the edge a little at a time and then do a sort of circle inside the object you are trying to select to join up to the beginning of the selection.
Now you can pause for a moment before continuing ..

To continue just start again and you will see that you are adding to the selection.

When you have gone all the way round stop and check your selection. Make sure that all of the object is selected.
If you have parts that need a little more adding in the use "Add to Selection" ... but if you need to remove a little then change over to "Subtract from Selection". Do this until you are happy with it.

Now do Edit>Copy then Edit>Paste
and you will have the object on its own layer
You can then add a new background behind them.

Wendy

"

Old February 10th, 2011, 07:28 AM
Senior Contributor

abstract, the best choices for accurate selecting are the polygonal lasso tool, and one I prefer which is to silhouette the subject by painting around it with a soft white brush.
Change the brush size to whatever is comfortable for you. Use a small brush for small areas.
Work at your own pace and paint away a little at a time. If doubt about some areas leave some background which can be painted away later.
Once you paint around he subject then continue to paint away the entire background, now use the magic wand on the white background and do a Inverse. This will release the subject from the background and allow you to either copy and paste or drag it.

You may want to save a copy of the silhouetted subject for future use.
To save the original just don't save it.

Tags
cut, cut-out, cutout, cutting