Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old January 15th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Casual Forum User

Question about using "Exporting as New File"

Under the File menu in the Organizer of Elements there is the option to Export as New File. My question is.......if I choose to send a jpeg file as a jpeg and reduce both file size and quality in the pop up window, am I degrading the original file? What about doing the same with an unedited RAW file? And I guess I should ask about using the Share option of Elements .......is there any degradation here?

I have used this to send pictures via email and to post on the web but never thought about possible effects to the original file.

Thanks for any input ..........

Paul
Old January 15th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Casual Forum User

If you 'Export as New File', no matter what type of file you choose ie. jpeg/psd/tiff, you are effectively exporting a copy of your original and you should see that new exported file appear in your Organiser either alongside or stacked with the original depending how you have your system set up.
Your original file will remain unaffected.

Hope this helps in some way!!
PSE12
Lightroom 5
TPG Elemental
Old January 15th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Casual Forum User

Thanks ...... I was just not sure if changing the file size and quality was considered a form of editing.

Paul
Old January 17th, 2011, 06:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Any time you make changes to a photo and save as JPG, the result is a degraded photo because that's how JPG works, it is a compression technology, it throws away small amounts of information to make the photo smaller. Usually this degradation cannot be seen by human eyes, but that also depends on what the image content is and what final output quality you choose. Clearly, if you pick a low quality output, you will probably be able to see the degradation.

Using the methods you described, PSE will not change your originals.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Photos
Old January 17th, 2011, 07:06 AM
Casual Forum User

Thank you for your feedback. It's good to know that the originals are not being degraded.

Paul