Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old November 16th, 2010, 05:13 PM
New Forum User

how to change brown hair to gray?

As a joke birthday gift for a young friend, I'd like to give her a photo of herself with gray hair, rather than the dark brown hair she now has. I know how to change hair from one color to another color, but I haven't been able to find a tutorial showing how to completely remove brown hair color so that I then end up with totally gray, white or salt-and-pepper color, while still keeping the texture/etc of the hair intact. Can anybody help ?

Thanks,

Steve
Old November 16th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi, Steve- There are probably a lot of methods to do this, but one of my favorite means is this....

1) On a new layer above the hair, take a soft brush and paint at 100% over the existing hair with a grey color, perhaps one from the swatch pallet that reads 30% grey.

2) Change the layer mode of the painted layer to either color or hue. This allows the texture back into the image.

3) Mask (or erase) any slop that isn't on the hair, and adjust your opacity to taste.

I'm sure there is more than one way to get your desired results, but this is one that I find easy to do.

You can always count on Americans to do the right thing-after they've tried everything else.

-Winston Churchill-
Old November 16th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve416 View Post
As a joke birthday gift for a young friend, I'd like to give her a photo of herself with gray hair, rather than the dark brown hair she now has. I know how to change hair from one color to another color, but I haven't been able to find a tutorial showing how to completely remove brown hair color so that I then end up with totally gray, white or salt-and-pepper color, while still keeping the texture/etc of the hair intact. Can anybody help ?

Thanks,

Steve
Have kids.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 16th, 2010, 11:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Here's a tutorial Butch posted some time ago on changing hair color:

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forum...ad.php?t=17306

Diana

Itís not happy people who are thankful, itís thankful people who are happy.

~ Canon 5D Mark II ~ Canon Rebel XTi ~ EF70-200 f/2.8L ~ EF85 f/1.8 ~ EF24-70 f/2.8 ~ EF 24-105 f4 L IS ~ EF 50mm f/1.8 II ~ Canon PowerShot S95 ~ Canon PowerShot SX50 HS ~ Windows 7 ~ PSE 11 & 12 ~ PS CC ~ Lightroom5 ~ Pro Show Producer ~ Corel Painter X ~ Printers: Canon Pixma Pro9500 Mark II, HP Deskjet 882C, HP LaserJet 1200 ~