Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Mac-specific Elements Questions

Old November 15th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Frequent Contributor

Hi Pat

In the Effects Panel --- in the "All" drop-down menu----what are you getting?

I will check back later

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MacMini, PSE 12, Adobe Bridge CS4

"Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information upon it." Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)
Old November 15th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Casual Forum User

Success!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeria View Post

In the Effects Panel --- in the "All" drop-down menu----what are you getting?
In the Show Al drop-down menu there are probably 150 or so items including (tah-daaa ) the White Drop Shadow! I tried it out and it works fine.

Wow! Thank you, thank you. I will go ahead and repair Desk Permissions. I suppose it is OK to trash the extra photo effects folder sitting on the desktop, yes?

Pat

Old November 15th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Frequent Contributor

Hi Pat

I just installed Tony's White Drop Shadow styles. I couldn't find it in my effects panel, so I created an XML file (attached). This file should be placed in en_US>Photo Creations Metadata>layer styles

Rebuild MediaDatabase and the effect should appear in the Layer styles dropdown as White Drop Shadow

It works great
Attached Files
File Type: zip White Drop Shadow.zip (705 Bytes, 7 views)

"Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information upon it." Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Last edited by Zeria; November 15th, 2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old November 15th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Frequent Contributor

I'm glad it is working and yes to deleting that photo effects desktop folder

Old November 16th, 2010, 02:20 AM
Senior Contributor

Hey Pete.

I have a question regarding the info inside the "White Drop Shadow.xml. file.

I opened your file and have some questions regarding the info within.

I was told by Linda Sattgast (a well know elements scraper) that the first name must match the last name.

http://www.scrappersguide.com/forums...ead.php?t=3314

Please read her instructions as that is how I learned to add styles to my PSE6 for Mac program.

She states: Find the two places in the code where you see the name of the original layer style entered twice with “value =” between them. Replace the original name with the new layer style name using the exact same structure. If the title has more than one word, the first name will have no spaces between the words of the title, and the second name will have spaces between the words of the title. In both cases, the words should retain their capitalization.

Example:

<typecategory id="CatWhiteDropShadow" value="White Drop Shadow"

You will notice both first and second name match exactly.

but, in your example you have something a bit different:

<typecategory id="CatDropShadows" value="White Drop Shadow"

In your example I see several differences with the info within.

First: In your file, your first name end with an "s" - at the end of "CatDropShadows" - and not in the second. (Why the "s" the first and not in the second)?

Second: "White" is missing in the first name but present in in the second name. (Why is White missing in the first name if it is present in the second)?

The first and second names are not identical as I understand they should be. What makes this work if the first and second names are not identical?

Would appreciate any info regarding this as I am perplexed as to why it works with the above missing info or other discrepancies as stated!!!!

Thanks,

Regards, Jim
Old November 16th, 2010, 07:05 AM
Frequent Contributor

Hi Jim

I do not have first hand knowledge about writing XML files. When I create a XML file, I follow Wendy's advice
Quote:
Oh it really isn't difficult ...

Just look for another .xml file of the same type (action, layer style etc)
Than open it up in something like notepad (textedit on the Mac) and make a few changes:

Take an existing action .xml file change the details:

<name id="Name" value="Put the name of the new action in here"
<typecategory id="TypeCat" value="Put the name of the section you want it to show as in here"

Once you have done that then you need to save the .xml file back into the same place BUT with a name that matches the .asl file name.
The entire post can be found here.

Then I adhere to an age old axiom---"If it works, don't fix it"

Thanks for the link---it is something that interests me and learn from

Old November 16th, 2010, 09:21 AM

Jim's question made me wonder what the relevant parts of the code in the .xml file do. I'm at my PC (running PSE6) at the moment and did a small test. I assume the results would be the same on the Mac. Here is what I did:

I reinstalled Tony's White Drop Shadow in the appropriate place, keeping the original .asl name "White Drop Shadow". As expected, after rebuilding the mediadatabase, the White Drop Shadow appears only in the Show All section of the Layer Style dropdown because there is no .xml file yet. Then, I took Pete's .xml file and edited it, using different (and meaningless) names on both sides of the =. On the left, instead of "CatWhiteDropShadow" I called it "CatLion". On the right, instead of "White Drop Shadow", I called it "Tiger". I did not change the name of the .xml file when I edited it, so it was still called "White Drop Shadow". After rebuilding the mediadatabase, the White Drop Shadow is found in the Layer Styles dropdown in a newly named category called "Tiger". So, the category took it's name from the right side of the equals sign. "Lion", or the name I inserted on the left side doesn't appear anywhere. So, what is the left side of the equal sign meant to do, I wonder?

Click
for my blog

Mac OS 10.9
PSE13, CS6, PSCC
Lightroom 5

Canon 5DmII, EF 24-105mm f/4L USM, EF 135mm f/2.0L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
Old November 16th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi,

Can anyone explain post #35 to me? If you can, please advise.

Pete was very kind to answer but I still don't have the answer or explanation I am looking for regarding this post.

Quote:
Sometimes when you find an itch - you just want to have it scratched.
Thanks for any help on this subject. I followed this thread and found it most interesting - mostly because of the end result (inconsistencies found in Pet's style) - the style works - why?
Why doesn't the difference in the first and second name (as stated) mess up the actual working of the style?
I attempted and succeeded in uploading several styles from the internet - but the name, capitals letters, etc - all that info had to be identical for my styles to work and show up in the drop down list of styles in my program.
Any comprehensive reply would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

Tags
install, layer styles, mac, plug-ins problem