Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Premiere Elements

Old August 29th, 2010, 07:15 AM
New Forum User

Color Change after Importing Still from Photoshop Elements into Premiere Elements 7

I created a still image in Photoshop Elements 7 to be used as a title of of video in Premiere Elements.

I create the file, imported it.. and included it in the video without issue (not a very complicated task).

However, the colors changed. I did a white to blue gradiation and the blue just isn't the right shade.

Why would the colors change?

Is there a loss-less export format that works best with PE7?

Dave
Old August 29th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Dave

Photoshop Elements 7 and Premiere Elements 7 Questions

Still Image Import
format: jpeg, psd, other
pixel dimensions: width and height in pixels
how imported: Premiere Elements 7 Get Media & Files and Folders, or transfer from Photoshop Elements 7.0 to Premiere Elements 7.0 with Send to Premiere Elements command, or other?

What did you set as your Premiere Elements project preset in the new project dialog and how was the Edit Mode Monitor Set (Fit or 100%)?

Please verify where you think you saw a change in the color shade after importing still image into Premiere Elements 7.0:
a. with still image on Timeline and viewed in the Edit Mode Monitor
b. with still image on Timeline and viewed in the Edit Mode Monitor AFTER rendering the Timeline by pressing the Enter Key of the computer main keyboard to get the best possible preview of the end product
c. in the final product export, such as from Share/Disc/Disc DVD or Share/Personal Computer/and one of export choices there.

Depending on the further details, have you tried editing the color in Premiere Elements via its Effects/Video Effects/Adjust, maybe Color Mixer and the like?

ATR
Old August 29th, 2010, 08:49 AM
New Forum User

Also check that you did not use the sRGB color profile when you edited that photo in Photoshop Elements.
Old August 29th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Senior Contributor

TTR

Could you elaborate on

the "check that you did not use the sRGB color profile" when you wrote

Quote:
Also check that you did not use the sRGB color profile when you edited that photo in Photoshop Elements.
Did you have the device dependency in mind such as in
http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/color_spaces.htm

ATR
Old August 29th, 2010, 01:59 PM
New Forum User

You know ATR, I really don't remember where I had read that cravat about color profiles having an impact on photos imported into Premiere Elements. Your link was not the one I remembered.
Old August 29th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Senior Contributor

TTR

That was an excellent point that you brought up. The link that I posted was not specific for Photoshop Elements Premiere Elements, but rather went to sRGB and device dependency. If there is a link specific to Premiere Elements and import of stills from Photoshop Elements, I will try to find it.

Before this, I had not come across any Photoshop Elements Premiere Elements issues regarding difference in color/color shades between the two programs. Most of the issues have gone to the quality of the pans & zooms and the slideshows in general transferred from Photoshop Elements to Premiere Elements. In the latter instance, a lot of the issues traced backed to compromised computer resources and a lot of oversized photos.

But we do need to get more details from Dave just to cross the t's and dot the i's.

Thanks again.

ATR
Old August 29th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Dave

In Photoshop Elements 7.0, Image Menu/Convert Color Profile, you can do just that, selecting from:
sRGB profile
no profile
Adobe RGB profile

The title of the image that you have on screen will have at the end of its title
(RGB/8) to represent sRGB profile
(RGB/8#) to represent no profile
(RGB/8*) to represent Adobe RGB profile

Which one of the choices have you used?

It is an easy enough experiment to create three versions of your image, one with sRGB profile, with no profile, and with Adobe RGB profile, and then import them into Premiere Elements 7.0 to determine which displays most accurately the color/color shade that you intended.

There may be other factors in operation for what you are seeing so let us rule TTR suggestion in or out first. It sounds like an excellent start.

ATR

Add On....Another route to Photoshop Elements choices, Edit Menu/Color Settings..essentially get you to the 3 choices mentioned above Image Menu/Convert Color Profile

Last edited by ATR; August 29th, 2010 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Add On
Old August 29th, 2010, 05:03 PM
New Forum User

I just did a test using Photoshop Elements 8 to create a white to blue gradient sample then used the Get Media of Premiere Elements 8 to view.

jpg files: a very small visible difference in color cast. The blue was slightly lighter in the transition zone in the RGB sample. The sRGB looked a little better to my eye. BUT the difference was so small that it would not make a difference to most viewers.

png files: No visible color difference

psd files: No visible color difference

gif files: Banding (bands of color) difference due to the limited colors (256). Very noticeable difference in banding colors and band width between sRGB and RGB.

I would recomend that you ask the original poster to upload his sample so that you could look at it.

Last edited by TreeTops Ranch; August 29th, 2010 at 05:07 PM.
Old August 29th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Senior Contributor

TTR

Dave has yet to catch up with us, and this site is not really geared for downloads, so I would prefer to put requesting any download on hold for now.

At this point, I am not sure if Dave is talking about the final color he sees on an export viewed on a TV or his computer monitor or web site OR whether he is talking about the color for the image viewed in the Edit Mode Monitor of Premiere Elements 7.0.

Besides the image's color profile that he is using in Photoshop Elements 7.0, I would also like to know how the computer monitor profile is set:
Control Panel
Display
Display Properties
Settings and its Advanced Tab
Under the Advanced Tab, the Color Management Tab and what profile is set for the Monitor/Video Card....None or one of the "Add" choices which include sRGB and Adobe RGB and many, many others.

And, though the color management troubleshooting approach is an excellent one, we do need to get details of his project to make sure that there is nothing going on there that we are overlooking.

Looking forward to Dave's follow up.

ATR