Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Archives > Premiere Elements

Old August 12th, 2010, 07:40 PM
New Forum User

Deleting a project in Premiere Elements 7

How do I delete a project in Premiere Elements 7?

It appears the only way to do so is to delete each folder referring to the project and its contents manually in Windows Explorer.

Any suggestions please?

Doug.
Old August 12th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Doug

You need to design your Premiere Elements 7 project's folders and files structure ahead of time for the most effective way to delete a Premiere Elements project. Otherwise, to delete a project, you end up having to go into the Adobe Folder, pick out your project folders/files from among the those of your other project folders/files, and delete your named project items.

Involved would be the Adobe Folder with the default location of
Local C drive/My Documents/Adobe Folder/Premiere Elements 7.0 Folder/ which would contain:
Adobe Premiere Elements AutoSave Folder
Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder
Media Cache Folder
Project.log file
Project.prel (the project file)

Please check out the following strategy:
Best if you have an external hard drive (format NTFS, not FAT32)...create a folder on the external hard drive and name it something like My Premiere Elements 7 Projects. Then inside that folder create a folder with the name of the new project that you are about to open. Let us call it Project Doug.

Open Premiere Elements 7 and in the new project dialog set your project preset and, in the Save In: there, browse to and designate the save location as that Project Doug Folder on the external hard drive.

Next, go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks. Set each of the following categories for "Same As Project"
Captured Video
Captured Audio
Video Previews
Audio Previews
Media Cache
Disc Encoding

All the folders and files for that new project will then be in the Project Doug Folder on the external hard drive. When it comes to another new project (Project Doug2), create another folder for it in the My Premiere Elements 7 Projects folder and then all the folders and files for Project Doug2 will end up in the Project Doug2 folder on the external hard drive. Then when it comes time for deleting a given project, just delete its own folder on the external hard drive.

Always check the new project dialog to make sure that the Save As = the My Premiere Elements 7 Projects folder. That Save As tends to remain the same from new project to new project until you change it for some reason.

Please give this a try with a mini test run and let us know if it worked for you.

ATR
Old August 13th, 2010, 06:57 AM
New Forum User

Thank you for the prompt and comprehensive email.

I already have a second internal HDD of 750gb dedicated as the scratch disk to my Adobe Premiere Elements and Photoshop CS5 and C:/ only holds the program files.

Maybe I should have been a little more specific in my original email. I thought there may have been a better way to delete a project than the rigmarole PE7 uses now, I think it is a messy way to go but that is what Adobe have given us.

Again thankyou for the help,

Doug.
Old August 13th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Doug

Thanks for the follow up.

Just double checking to make sure that we are OK with the "plan ahead" way to delete Premiere Elements projects.

Yes, you are using an external hard drive for the scratch files. But if you do not plan ahead as detailed previously, for example, in the Adobe Premiere Elements Folder there you will have a composite of the previews for each of the projects that you have created and you go about finding (by name) those previews associated with the project that you want to delete.

The dedicated folder per project way would fit into the one step deletion way.

Please let me know if we are in sync on this.

Thanks

ATR