Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old August 5th, 2010, 09:07 AM
New Forum User

psedbtool - how to remove backup files

Having become concerned about the reliability of PSE's cataloging function I want to transfer my tags from PSE8 to their respective file metadata so that if the worst comes to the worst they are at least in their own files. After browsing this forum, gather that PSEDBTOOL is the tool to use for this rather than using the PSE native function.

On reading the PSEDBTOOL description/instructions I see that it backs up each file before writing the tags to it. I love that kind of caution but it would leave me with a few thousand duplicate (backup) files which, if I subsequently discover that the writing of the tags worked OK, would need to be deleted. I can't see any automated way to do this and can't find anything in the instructions and can't find an address of the author of PSEDBTOOL to ask him.

Does anyone here know how one deals with this challenge ?
Old August 5th, 2010, 09:32 AM

You could always send John a private message through this forum - he hangs out here as Johnrellis

Tony
Old August 5th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Senior Contributor

see http://www.johnrellis.com/psedbtool/..._File_Metadata

If you don't want a backup (I don't...) add -noBackup after the command line.

If, like me, you have already written the metadata with backup and found you are short in disk space, you should use the Windows search function to locate files with _OLD in their extension: jpg_OLD, CR2_OLD, xmp_OlD etc. Then you can delete them.
Old August 5th, 2010, 11:34 AM
New Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyW View Post
You could always send John a private message through this forum - he hangs out here as Johnrellis

Tony
Ah, thanks, Tony. I'll see whether he notices my posting and, if not, I'll write to him directly.

Paddy
Old August 5th, 2010, 11:41 AM
New Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel B View Post
see http://www.johnrellis.com/psedbtool/..._File_Metadata

If you don't want a backup (I don't...) add -noBackup after the command line.

If, like me, you have already written the metadata with backup and found you are short in disk space, you should use the Windows search function to locate files with _OLD in their extension: jpg_OLD, CR2_OLD, xmp_OlD etc. Then you can delete them.
Thanks for this, Michel. I did see the -noBackup possibility and was wondering about using the Windows Search route but unfortunately over the years I have accumulated a significant number of "_OLD" files on my system (related to quite different apps) and would have to go through them all to make sure that I only delete PSEDBTOOL backups. So I would search with the argument "?_OLD.jpg" for example, to select the JPG files and then "?_OLD.TIFF", and so forth.

Paddy
Old August 5th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman10 View Post
Thanks for this, Michel. I did see the -noBackup possibility and was wondering about using the Windows Search route but unfortunately over the years I have accumulated a significant number of "_OLD" files on my system (related to quite different apps) and would have to go through them all to make sure that I only delete PSEDBTOOL backups. So I would search with the argument "?_OLD.jpg" for example, to select the JPG files and then "?_OLD.TIFF", and so forth.

Paddy
You are right, but note that the suffix _OLD is added at the extreme right part of the file name: do a search for '.jpg_OLD' for instance. (The Windows search is not case-sensitive by default, so '.jpg_old' would work the same.
Old August 5th, 2010, 12:53 PM
New Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel B View Post
You are right, but note that the suffix _OLD is added at the extreme right part of the file name: do a search for '.jpg_OLD' for instance. (The Windows search is not case-sensitive by default, so '.jpg_old' would work the same.
Aaah, thanks, Michel. Although I read the PSEDBTOOL instructions carefully I didn't realise that the "_OLD" is attached to the suffix rather than the file name. That allows me to search precisely for the PSEDBTOOL backup files and delete them once I am happy that PSEDBTOOL has done what I wanted it to do.

In an attempt to standardise on a tagging system which allows me maximum portability between apps and minimum "locking-in" to apps which may no longer be in existence in 5 years time* I am trying to get to grips with tags and tagging. I'm discovering that it is not as simple as I thought. There is masses of info on the WWW but that which I have found is fragmentary and unsystematic. Is there a good tagging tutorial that you can recommend ?

Paddy

* My experience with PSE5 and the lack of Abobe help or information in my attempts to make it run on my new Windows 7/64-bit system have given me the impression that Adobe is abandoning PSE so I am preparing my photo management "lifeboat" for the life after Adobe.
Old August 5th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm not sure there is a tutorial on tagging.

Tags are simply a piece of information (or multiple pieces of information) that describe a photo and can be stored with the photo (or in the case of a RAW photo, stored in an .xmp sidecar photo) and/or stored in a database. What more do you need to know?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Photos
Old August 5th, 2010, 02:11 PM
New Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_paige View Post
What more do you need to know?
Well, I thought that was all there was to it too until I discovered that the tags can end up in various fields in the metadata and that there are heirarchical tags and that there are now tags which attach to individual objects in a photo. That's why I want my tags to be assigned according to a system which will remain compatible with a range of commonly used photo management apps for as long as possible.
Old August 5th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Actually, in the photo files, there are no hierarchical tags, nor are there any tags attached to certain parts of photos.

Hierarchical tags exist within PSE actually, you have categories and sub-categories and tags, and as far as I know, the categories and sub-categories are not ever written to the photo files. Also, there are face tags in later versions of PSE, that identify a specific location on a photo, but the location info exists only in PSE, and the tag becomes an ordinary tag when written to the photo files.

Basic tags will most likely be usable by any photographic application for a long time into the future (maybe even forever). Stuff that is specific to PSE will most likely remain specific to PSE.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Photos