Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old July 25th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Casual Forum User

Straighten tool in PSE8

Tried tool on a vertical line and it rotated the picture.
Tried using Ctrl and the tool and it dragged the picture like the move tool.
Tried tool pressing left button then adding the Ctrl and it rotates picture.
What is the answer for vertical surfaces?
Old July 25th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Enlightened Elder

Hi ...

You need to select the Straighten Tool then hold down the Control key and draw down a vertical line ... try this link it may help you

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Photosho...-7eea_WIN.html

Wendy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"

Old July 25th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Hmmm...sounds like #3 should have worked:

1. Select tool and move out to image

2. Left-click and hold, then press and hold Ctrl (Mac would be Command). You can also add Shift to draw an exactly straight line.

3. Drag along vertical line in image and release.

If that's not working, try resetting the tool by clicking the tiny black triangle in the top-left corner of the Options Bar and see if that does the trick. Maybe it got a few wires twisted somehow. Figuratively speaking.

Mike

Old July 25th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Senior Contributor

there is a video in the subscriber area on the straighten tool.
Tina B

Old July 25th, 2010, 04:21 PM

Timing and order is everything - just used it in PSE8

Click>drag>Ctrl>release

Holding down Ctrl first won't work because Ctrl is a short cut for the move tool (hmm I didn't know that - I always thought it was V ) . Just looked it up and Ctrl-drag with any tool is a move shortcut.

Tony
Old July 26th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Casual Forum User

Still no success!

Tony,
I cannot make it work.
If I try Click>drag>Ctrl>Release, then nothing happens.
If I then Click, the image rotates 90
Old February 17th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Known Forum User

I know this is an old thread, but since the threads I read didn't really help me with the answer, I'll post it here for future use.

I was watching a video on vertical straightening as well, and it said "Select, press control and start drawing the line".

That's not exactly what happens (at least to me in Win 7, PSE9).

If you select, and hold CTRL and then start drawing, it will tell you that you need to create a new layer, because the background layer is locked.

If you select, start drawing and then hold CTRL, when you get to the end of your line and let go, it will rotate it horizontally.

After a bunch of trial-and-error, I realized that the sequence is:

- Select straighten tool
- start drawing line
- while drawing line, hit CTRL
- finish drawing line
- KEEP HOLDING CTRL and let go of mouse. This will straighten it vertically ***this is the missing piece in the video and written tutorials I have seen****

I hope that helps somebody. I was banging my head against the wall - watching the tutorial over and over again and swearing that I was doing what they were saying and it wasn't working.

If this is not the right answer (worked for me!), please feel free to correct it.

Last edited by gisele; February 17th, 2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old February 17th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi Gisele,

I don't often use the straightening tool in PSE but I can confirm that the steps you describe work for me in PSE8. The CMD or CTL key does have to be released before the mouse or the image will flip. Thanks for detailing your experience - I'm sure it'll be helpful to others.

Edit: Information given was incorrect. Releasing mouse first while holding CMD or CTL works.

Last edited by JulieM; February 17th, 2011 at 01:17 PM. Reason: incorrect information
Old February 17th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Known Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieM View Post
Hi Gisele,

I don't often use the straightening tool in PSE but I can confirm that the steps you describe work for me in PSE8. The CMD or CTL key does have to be released before the mouse or the image will flip. Thanks for detailing your experience - I'm sure it'll be helpful to others.

Julie - can you check that again? For me in PSE9, the trick is to release the mouse FIRST, while holding down CTRL....or if flips.
Old February 17th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Casual Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gisele View Post
I know this is an old thread, but since the threads I read didn't really help me with the answer, I'll post it here for future use.

I was watching a video on vertical straightening as well, and it said "Select, press control and start drawing the line".

That's not exactly what happens (at least to me in Win 7, PSE9).

If you select, and hold CTRL and then start drawing, it will tell you that you need to create a new layer, because the background layer is locked.

If you select, start drawing and then hold CTRL, when you get to the end of your line and let go, it will rotate it horizontally.

After a bunch of trial-and-error, I realized that the sequence is:

- Select straighten tool
- start drawing line
- while drawing line, hit CTRL
- finish drawing line
- KEEP HOLDING CTRL and let go of mouse. This will straighten it vertically ***this is the missing piece in the video and written tutorials I have seen****

I hope that helps somebody. I was banging my head against the wall - watching the tutorial over and over again and swearing that I was doing what they were saying and it wasn't working.

If this is not the right answer (worked for me!), please feel free to correct it.
I think it changed in PSE 9 - I find it very irritating having to click Ctrl after drawing my straightening line but before letting go. It was different in V8 - I wish Adobe would stop messing with the processes.

Tags
straightening tool