Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Photography Discussions > Photography Techniques

Old July 10th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Vintage Effects

http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com...gh-key-effect/

Check out Friday's blog at the subscriber's site, where Rick introduces a new video by Matt demonstrating a vintage-style, high-key effect - it's quick and easy. Rick also mentioned a vintage action and tutorial by Rita available at CoffeeShop Photography. I decided to try both and these are my results:

Matt's Vintage Effect:

Rita's Vintage Tutorial:

Why not try them out and post your results here.

Diana

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Itís not happy people who are thankful, itís thankful people who are happy.

~ Canon 5D Mark II ~ Canon Rebel XTi ~ EF70-200 f/2.8L ~ EF85 f/1.8 ~ EF24-70 f/2.8 ~ EF 24-105 f4 L IS ~ EF 50mm f/1.8 II ~ Canon PowerShot S95 ~ Canon PowerShot SX50 HS ~ Windows 7 ~ PSE 11 & 12 ~ PS CC ~ Lightroom5 ~ Pro Show Producer ~ Corel Painter X ~ Printers: Canon Pixma Pro9500 Mark II, HP Deskjet 882C, HP LaserJet 1200 ~
Old July 10th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Casual Forum User

I cant wait to try this or these effects Dianne, but,............first I would love some opinions from others on what is now becoming a problem for me. I origonally purchased elements, as i have said in the past not realising what a powerful tool it is, to "fix up my kids photos" because they looked like they were deteriorating. However i have noticed that there are so many plugins/ tutorials on ageing photos that i am now in a quandry. The 70's look seems to be becoming popular and this is what i am trying to "save" my photos from! So, what do other people think? should i just be fixing any needed repairs and leaving the already established effect? or, trying to restore white balance and contrast and colour in them?
This effect that you have tried and the tutorial look absolutely gorgeous.
Many thanks in advance
susan
Old July 10th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Frequent Contributor

Susan,

Since you say the photos are deteriorating I would assume you are scanning them. It I were you, I would probably concentrate on scanning and tagging the photos. Do as many as you can stand to do at a sitting, then give yourself a break and pick one or two to play with.

Then as you work on projects, do any restoring or effects that are appropriate for the photos in that project. And always keep the original scans so you won't need undo a restoration to get an aged effect if you decide you want it later.
PS 6, Mac OS 9.2
PET Subscriber since July 2007

Old July 10th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Diana, those both turned out well. My eyes prefer the first one the best. I am searching for the right photo to try this on. I have tried twice but i think i was not choosing the right type of photo. Thanks for starting this thread.

JUDY windows 7 pro- cs5 on 64bit os

Old July 10th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancamilleri View Post
I cant wait to try this or these effects Dianne, but,............first I would love some opinions from others on what is now becoming a problem for me. I origonally purchased elements, as i have said in the past not realising what a powerful tool it is, to "fix up my kids photos" because they looked like they were deteriorating. However i have noticed that there are so many plugins/ tutorials on ageing photos that i am now in a quandry. The 70's look seems to be becoming popular and this is what i am trying to "save" my photos from! So, what do other people think? should i just be fixing any needed repairs and leaving the already established effect? or, trying to restore white balance and contrast and colour in them?
This effect that you have tried and the tutorial look absolutely gorgeous.
Many thanks in advance
susan
Hi Susan,

How you wish your older photos to appear would be a personal preference. The vintage effect is popular, but not an effect I would want applied to a lot of my photos, just certain photos that I feel may lend themselves to that "special effect." Usually when I restore old photos, whether they be B&W ancestors' photos I've collected for genealogy purposes, or more recent photos from the 60's and later, I try to restore the brightness, contrast and color close to their original state. I like Karin's suggestion to save two versions... any photo you'd like to retain the vintage look, you could restore any damage and scratches, save it in that state, then duplicate it and continue with the color and contrast improvements and save a second version.

Diana

~ Canon 5D Mark II ~ Canon Rebel XTi ~ EF70-200 f/2.8L ~ EF85 f/1.8 ~ EF24-70 f/2.8 ~ EF 24-105 f4 L IS ~ EF 50mm f/1.8 II ~ Canon PowerShot S95 ~ Canon PowerShot SX50 HS ~ Windows 7 ~ PSE 11 & 12 ~ PS CC ~ Lightroom5 ~ Pro Show Producer ~ Corel Painter X ~ Printers: Canon Pixma Pro9500 Mark II, HP Deskjet 882C, HP LaserJet 1200 ~
Old July 10th, 2010, 10:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug View Post
Diana, those both turned out well. My eyes prefer the first one the best. I am searching for the right photo to try this on. I have tried twice but i think i was not choosing the right type of photo. Thanks for starting this thread.
Thanks, Judy... They are entirely different effects and I like them both, but some photos may work better with one effect than the other. The second one has more of a grungy appearance whereas the first one has a kind of a creamy, dreamy appearance. When you find the right photos to try them, please do post the results.

Diana

Old July 11th, 2010, 01:48 AM
Enlightened Elder

Hi Susan ...

What I would do is restore the images to how they were when they were taken and then save them. Then if you wish to add an aged effect to some of them do that but save the ones you do with another name so that you still have your restoration.

Once an image is restored then its easy to add effect to a copy of it but its difficult to remove effects so keeping the "good" restoration is the best idea.

Also effects go in and out of fashion but generally people simply want old photos to show it as it was

Wendy

"

Old July 11th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Casual Forum User

Thankyou very much Wendy, Dianne and Karin, you have all given me great advice. Its too late for me to try tonite but i will look at trying it out and posting in the next few days. Many thanks again
kindest regards
Susan
Old July 11th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Enlightened Elder

You are most welcome Susan

Wendy

"

Old July 11th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Senior Contributor

With my first try at this I got very washed out looking skin tones (probably because they didn't start out with the golden tanned images as in Matt's examples!) which I didn't like. So I duplicated the original image and layered it over the ACR corrected layer, changed the blend mode to Soft Light and lowered the opacity to 50%. I also added an extra Contrast Adj. layer and set that at about 15%. Here's a before and after:

I also found this worked best on images where the subject was wearing white or light coloured clothing.

Lastly, I used one of Blair's Borders to finish it off.

Bayla

and

Last edited by Bayla; July 11th, 2010 at 11:29 AM.