Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Premiere Elements

Old June 26th, 2010, 08:28 PM
New Forum User

Extra Fonts ?

Hi Guys, a newbie here, struggling against the constant Pre8 crashes despite patch 8.01 and reading all info avidly, but I can get by until the program is perhaps updated?
My question here is can I extend the range of fonts showing within Pre8 and if so, how? I assumed, like Photoshop, etc that fonts installed on my pc would show by default. Do I need to install fonts into the Adobe fonts folder?
Any advice much appreciated, Thanks, Paul (UK)
Old June 26th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Known Forum User

Hi Paul:

Welcome to the Village,

Yes, Photoshop uses the Fonts installed on your computer.

A lot of people put the Fonts in a Folder on their Hard Drive ( I called mine FONTS) so that they wont load the hundreds of fonts available and slow down your machine.
When you want a font you can go to that folder and load the font to use in your program. When your finished and close the program it will put the Font back into the folder so can use it again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 26th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Paul

What exactly did you have in mind for additional fonts to use in Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1? There are extensive choices of fonts installed in Local C Drive\Windows/Fonts Folder (PC) as well as Local C Drive\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Fonts. Have you checked out all the fonts that are available to you in the Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 Titler as is?

Fonts added to the Fonts Folder in the Windows Folder should be recognized by Premiere Elements. If not, then typically you could copy/paste the new font into the Font Folder in the Adobe Folder of the Program Files route above. The most common font file file extension that I see there is .otf (Open Type Font). I will leave it for you to check out the few there that are other than .otf. The most common font file type that you see in the Font Folder of the Windows Folder is True Type (Windows XP Professional SP3).

As for your Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 it is highly no likely that the program will be updated beyond the 8.0.1 Update Patch. Come September/October 2010 (if as in the past) a new version will be released by Adobe which will be a standalone version, not a upgrade of what you already have installed as Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1.

You should not be experiencing constant crashes. If you want (after you have read all the threads here on the subject), start a new thread on your crash issue with a lot of details. We can work together to try to resolve that problem. As I said, we need a lot of details about your computer environment, setup of Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1, source media that you are putting on the Timeline, and export workflow (with settings).

As I keep repeating, problems can have the same symptoms but often have different causes. That is why it is appropriate to look at this type of report on a case by case basis, keeping some fundamental principles in mind.

Looking forward to your follow up.

ATR

Add On....alternative route to Windows Fonts = Control Panel/Fonts.

Last edited by ATR; June 26th, 2010 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Add On
Old June 26th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Hank w

Thank you for commenting in this thread.

Although some times comments transcend a specific program, I need to make the following comments.

Quote:
Yes, Photoshop uses the Fonts installed on your computer.
I just wanted to call to your attention that Paul is not dealing with Photoshop nor Photoshop Elements, but rather with Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1.

Quote:
When you want a font you can go to that folder and load the font to use in your program. When your finished and close the program it will put the Font back into the folder so can use it again.
I have never run into that scenario so I would need to check it out.

ATR
Old June 27th, 2010, 08:10 AM
New Forum User

Smile Fonts?

Thank you everybody for responding and giving useful advice.
Yes I am talking about Premiere Elements, sorry if I didn't make that clear.
The crashes are reducing as I become more informed as to codecs, preferences, drives etc but I'm sure that most people are simply trying to run this hefty program on inadequate systems and that, if anything, Adobe do not draw enough attention to the true specifications required. Perhaps people (including myself!) assume that "elements" implies a stripped down program for entry level editing on most machines. I love the program but will need to learn a lot more before I can complete a project in one, crash free session.
As for the fonts issue, I am a web and graphic designer and often I need to use specific or a client's custom font in my work, hence the need at times to go beyond the default fonts in Premiere Elements. I see the logic for not overloading the system with hundreds of uneeded system fonts so it makes sense to import them as required.
Again,sincere thanks for taking time to help, cheers, Paul (UK)
Old June 27th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Paul

Thanks for the follow up.

Success with your projects, and please let us know if you have any further questions on your workflow.

ATR
Old June 27th, 2010, 04:55 PM
New Forum User

Shotan said: "I am a web and graphic designer and often I need to use specific or a client's custom font in my work,..."

You are aware that if you use a custom font on your web site no-one will see it? If they don't have it on their computer it will not display.

So you will have to make a graphic of that font for a web site.
Old June 27th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Senior Contributor

TTR

Thank for comments in Paul's thread.

I am OK commenting about adding fonts to Premiere Elements, but, when it comes to applying that information to web and web design goals, I have not been there, done that.

So your comments are very interesting and important to point out. All this motivated me to travel into cyberspace looking for some good 101 details on this web font side of things.

Have you and Paul seen this online article before
"Web Type 101, primer?"
http://efuse.com/Design/web_fonts_basics.html

You both probably have, but I thought that the rest of our members might find it interesting and informative also.

ATR

Tags
extyra fonts, fonts