Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old June 20th, 2010, 03:49 PM
New Forum User

Angry My PSD. file will not open

Hello, i spend all of last night creating an image on photoshop and saved it as a psd. file when i felt i was too tired to carry on.
I then came back to it earlier today only to find that it just will not open.
It just tells me
"could not complete this request because its not a valid photoshop document"
I put so much effort into it and the backup doesnt work either...
I am pulling my hair out with this one its just epically fustrating!
I remeber saving it correctly and didnt change the extension atall.

Please help me
Thanks
Patrick
Old June 20th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Patrick, check the extension and make sure it's correct and separated by a period (.).

Here's a link relating to your problem where you may find some help.
http://www.google.com/search?source=...AAAKoEBU_QRsFO
Old June 20th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Were you working in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements? Were you trying to open it from the menu within the program, or from Organizer, or by right clicking on the file itself and using the pop-up context menu to "open with?" Did you try all the open options in the menu, such as Open As and Open Recently Edited File?

Your might try some of THESE utilities. I'd duplicate the file first... make a new folder, right-click and drag on the file to drag into the new folder (assuming your using a Windows version). When it asks Move or Copy, select Copy. Then try the repair on the copy.

Hope this helps.

Diana

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Itís not happy people who are thankful, itís thankful people who are happy.

~ Canon 5D Mark II ~ Canon Rebel XTi ~ EF70-200 f/2.8L ~ EF85 f/1.8 ~ EF24-70 f/2.8 ~ EF 24-105 f4 L IS ~ EF 50mm f/1.8 II ~ Canon PowerShot S95 ~ Canon PowerShot SX50 HS ~ Windows 7 ~ PSE 11 & 12 ~ PS CC ~ Lightroom5 ~ Pro Show Producer ~ Corel Painter X ~ Printers: Canon Pixma Pro9500 Mark II, HP Deskjet 882C, HP LaserJet 1200 ~
Old June 20th, 2010, 04:43 PM
New Forum User

Well

I have been using photoshop elements. And yea i saved it as psd. file and everything is typed correctly in the the file name.

I am trying to open it from within photoshop elements... and i have tried open as with many other file types. i have also tried to open it with irfanview. None of this works... I just dont understand why this has happened it doesnt make any sense.
I am just hoping that somebody out there must know whats happening
Old June 20th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Senior Contributor

It's hard to say what might have happened. Your computer might have had some sort of glitch right at the time you saved the file, making the file corrupted. Check out that google link I provided above to some PSD repair utilities... most of them are free. Good luck.

Diana

Itís not happy people who are thankful, itís thankful people who are happy.

~ Canon 5D Mark II ~ Canon Rebel XTi ~ EF70-200 f/2.8L ~ EF85 f/1.8 ~ EF24-70 f/2.8 ~ EF 24-105 f4 L IS ~ EF 50mm f/1.8 II ~ Canon PowerShot S95 ~ Canon PowerShot SX50 HS ~ Windows 7 ~ PSE 11 & 12 ~ PS CC ~ Lightroom5 ~ Pro Show Producer ~ Corel Painter X ~ Printers: Canon Pixma Pro9500 Mark II, HP Deskjet 882C, HP LaserJet 1200 ~
Old June 20th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Casual Forum User

Just a quick thought is the file imagePERIODpsd or imagepsdPERIOD? Might make a difference.
Old June 20th, 2010, 05:24 PM
New Forum User

Smile

I tried afew of those repair things but to no avail! im not sure whats wrong with it... is there any way to fix corruptions?

Also i have the file like filename.psd and thats how all my other fles are that work

Btw thanks for the support, its nic eto have a base of people you can bring your problems too
Old June 20th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Bowlly41, before you give up ask a local computer expert like the geek squad.
Also, I searched "how to repair corrupt photoshop elements file" and there a number of links you should check through.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Also check the FIX Corrupt Photoshop File software link below.

http://fix.software.informer.com/dow...hotoshop-file/
Old June 20th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Senior Contributor

The message you received looks suspiciously like one that I have received on more than one occasion. Unfortunately, it is easy to save an image with a wrong file extension. It can happen for instance, if you already saved an image as, say, filename.psd but then decide to redo the edits and select file save as, then navigate to the existing filename.psd and hit save. PSE will open a dialog box asking if you want to overwrite the existing file. This seems like it should be OK, and most of the time it is, but if you saved it with "jpeg" selected in the format drop down box in PSE, even though it has the .psd extension, it is still really a jpg image. When you try to open it, PSE will assume that it is a psd file based on the extension, but it will give you this message because it is not actually a psd file, but a jpg.

One thing to try is to use windows to duplicate the file, change the file name to filename.jpg. Windows will warn you that changing the extension will cause problems with opening it, but click rename anyway. Then try to open filename.jpg with PSE. If it was saved as a jpg, it will open. If not, you could try some of the other extensions that you normally use to see if that may be the problem.

Again, the message you are getting

Quote:
..."could not complete this request because its not a valid photoshop document"...
is telling you that even though the file has a psd extension, it was not a really saved in a psd format.

Life is too short to drink cheap wine!
Old June 21st, 2010, 06:47 AM
New Forum User

Thanks for the advice... i tried saving the file as a jpeg and opening it but it did not work.
I guess i will try to download some of that software and see what happens. Also i think i will give adobe a ring today and see if they have anything to say.

I saw online somewhere that somebody opened one of these 'corrupted' files with a hex editor and deleted some code that allowed it to open again. I have no idea what a hex editor did but im guessing its pretty technical

maybe somebody on here knows what he may have done...

Thanks

Tags
help!, open, photoshop, psd, won't open