Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old June 4th, 2010, 07:04 PM
New Forum User

How to make a table or grid?

Is there a way to "draw" a table or grid in PSE 8? I want to create a blank table, similar to a table you'd create in Word. But I can't figure out where to begin!! Please help. I will be using digi scrap supplies to create a sort of "reward chart" with this blank grid - print it out weekly, customize it with specific chores and behaviors we want to encourage in my 3-yr-old and add stickers to the blank squares to reward good behaviors. I'd like to be able to easily add to or delete columns or rows each week before printing depending on what tasks / behaviors we're working on.

Am I making sense?

If I can't create the table in PSE, is there a way to import a table from Word?

Thanks!
Old June 4th, 2010, 07:22 PM

Although you could do it in Elements it's often easier to do things like that in Word. Easiest way is to save as a pdf file from Word and then open the pdf file in Elements. That assumes Word 2007 - previous versions didn't have the save to pdf option.

Note that text won't come in as editable text so you'd need to add that in Elements if you want to able to edit it.

Tony

Last edited by TonyW; June 4th, 2010 at 07:25 PM.
Old June 4th, 2010, 07:47 PM
New Forum User

AWESOME! Thank you! That will work.

Do you know if I would be able to adjust the overall size of the table once I import it from Word to PSE? Like if I add it as a layer to a psd document, can I then adjust the size of the table by adjusting the size of that layer? I'm not sure if I'm even asking that question right.
Old June 4th, 2010, 09:26 PM

You can and it's OK for small size adjustments but big ones can start looking pretty ugly. The pdf isn't a vector image so if you start stretching a table too much the lines start looking thick and blurred. Best to get it as close to the right size as you can in Word.

Should add that one advantage for doing it this way from Word is that a table comes in with a transparent background - so make it a layer in Elements and you can put any background you like underneath.

Bringing thing in from Word is also very handy for things like WordArt and ClipArt and the pdf format makes it very easy.

Tony
Old June 11th, 2011, 01:11 PM
New Forum User

do you know if this process will work with Microsoft Works?
Old June 11th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Senior Contributor

There is a rudimentary grid in PSEv.8. It is limited in the number of subdivisions.
Access the Custom shape tool, go to All Elements Shapes, and in the 2nd row from the bottom there is a grid which one can drag out.
With a sufficiently large canvas, one can place 2 grids, if you will, side by side, etc.

PSE8, WIN7