Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Photography Discussions > Photography Equipment

Old June 4th, 2010, 12:32 AM
Casual Forum User

Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ-35

We are looking at going on a trip of a lifetime....an alaskan cruise.
I have the lend of a panasonic lumix 12 x camera....BUT, I'm wondering if I should bite the bullet and buy a new panasonic dmcfz-35 with an 18x zoom and RAW facilities.
My question is this....is there a time lag on the dmcfz-35 when taking whale photos (action photos)....and would I be likely to use RAW with snow/alaska type photos??? I'm only going to get here once. I have always wanted to experiment with RAW, but not had a RAW camera. How hard is it. I have Photoshop Elements 7.
I was looking at the new OLYMPUS, but can't buy a camera without a viewfinder.
I have had issues with Canon...so not going there.
Opinions REALLY appreciated....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
photos
Old June 4th, 2010, 06:42 AM
Senior Contributor

I have a Panasonic DMC FZ18 with the 18x zoom. It takes nice point-and-shoot pictures. That long zoom is really nice!

My main complaints are that it zooms too fast (not much control there) and there's definitely a time-lag so panning to capture a bird in flight doesn't work. You lose the view of the subject while the camera is storing the shot and by the time the viewfinder catches up, the bird is long gone.
Canon Pro9000 printer; Epson Perfection 2580 Photo scanner
Canon Digital Rebel XSi, 75-300mm IS lens, 28-135mm IS lens, 60mm macro lens, a set of extender rings, AND a 70-200 L lens
Nikon Coolpix P100
and an iphone that I'm learning to use
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old June 4th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Casual Forum User

Good info...thanks

photos
Old June 4th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Senior Contributor

I have the FZ- 28 and find that it is noticeably slower when shooting raw and even slower of course shooting raw+JPG I think the zoom control was changed in it (it's the one after Jo's) For it's class it got fine reviews. No matter what you use have a great trip, you deserve it!

PET Gallery

Old June 5th, 2010, 03:38 AM
Casual Forum User

Thanks Ellen, I think I'm WISHING thinking that I'll get to play too much with the raw photos...so maybe I'll just take a few in RAW??
I'm also thinking now I might join a camera club. I don't have any interests/hobbies....so maybe I should get a cheaper DSLR...
Any thoughts anyone.
And yes...I am just beside myself about the trip. Colin has kept clear MRI's and this is our trip of a lifetime.

photos
Old June 5th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Senior Contributor

An entry level D-SLR will eliminate any "shutter lag", and a fast memory card will help reduce the write time (after the shutter is released) if you are saving as a RAW.

Consider two Nikon options, the D3000 and D5000, the latter has HD video capabilities and a few more bells and whistles. The Nikon "kit lenses" that you can get are very good. An 18-55mm and a 55-200mm combo is frequently offered, Nikon has versions of those lenses that have VR (vibration reduction) to help reduce/eliminate camera shake when hand-holding a slower shutter speeds.

Incidentally, I loved our Alaska cruise (Princess) a few years ago, I can't wait to go again. We started in Whittier, AK and ended up in Vancouver, BC.

We took thousands of photos. Make sure you have a way to download and store the images and make backups, on-board ship each evening.

Also be prepared to deal with extreme temperature changes (even in summer it can get cold and damp), fogging up, etc., as it can quickly damage equipment.

I hope your cruise goes into Glacier Bay, it is an unbelievable experience!

Jeff
Sony Vaio AW120J w/ Vista x64
Lenovo IdeaPad Netbook U150 w/ Windows 7 x64
CS5, LR3, PSE6
Plug-ins by Topaz Labs, Nik, onOne, Alien Skin, AutoFX, etc.
HDR by Photomatix Pro
Old June 6th, 2010, 05:19 AM
Casual Forum User

Thanks Jeff, I am really undecided as to what to do....
What do you mean by a fast card...I thought all cards were the same??
I would hate to buy a new camera and damage it on the trip due to the weather etc.
Yes, we are going to Glacier Bay...you've got me even MORE excited now.
Just a question...would the D3000 work ok on 'auto?' and up to 200 what would that be on a point and shoot zoom...ie 12x zoom etc??
Thanks for your tips...you've got me thinking....

photos
Old June 6th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Senior Contributor

I have a Canon XSi and an assortment of lenses, but if I were taking a trip I'd probably take the Panasonic point-and-shoot -- a lot less weight to carry and less $$ to risk (stolen, breakage, etc.)

I took some photos of my granddaughter on Saturday dancing in the rain. Once you establish your focus you can shoot pretty quickly and capture the action -- if it isn't moving away from that spot. My comment about panning still applies, but if you're shooting whales they won't be moving away all that quickly I imagine.

These were taken in "intelligent auto" mode holding the shutter release button to catch her turning around. There are a few of the better shots on my blog at http://josblogfor2010.blogspot.com/2...g-in-rain.html
Canon Pro9000 printer; Epson Perfection 2580 Photo scanner
Canon Digital Rebel XSi, 75-300mm IS lens, 28-135mm IS lens, 60mm macro lens, a set of extender rings, AND a 70-200 L lens
Nikon Coolpix P100
and an iphone that I'm learning to use

Old June 7th, 2010, 12:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Hey everybody
First, in the summer even if you do the Glacier Trips the temp changes aren't that bad for the equipment. Walking on the Glacier the temps went to between somewhere between 20-30 and we were walking on very powder dry snow. In town in Fairbanks the normal temps were 65 degrees so we were walking around with light jackets and nothing to get too excited about.

The only thing I can make a comment about from the above discussions is the first one about the lag time. You need something that wont have any lag time just in case you do get to shoot any of the fast moving birds. Next a long Tele will help.

Next up the speed of the mem card. This is what I've been complaining about for a long time. You will need a fast Mem Card so if your shooting under a high stress moment your camera will be downloading the information to the card as fast or as faster then you will be shooting. This way your camera wont lock up and you will be stuck not being able to shoot because your camera will be downloading the information to the card and you wont be able to shoot an image. But, depending on your camera this top speed will vary. For example, my older Nikon D80 can use the Extreme III 133x speed cards and I can hold that shutter button down for a while and not have to worry about any hangups due to the camera downloading the image data to the card. Those blue San Disk Cards are the slowest out there. The Ultra II's are OK but the Extreme III's are pretty fast. They now have a couple more very fast cards but I don't have any information about them. I'm sure the newest of the DSLR's can take them. But, just stay away from those old Blue slow cards and you will be OK. Those Blue cards are also very cheap so that will give you an idea.

To explain something I said above, we did the 5 day land tour and then the 7 day cruise Celebrity Trip starting in Fairbanks. I had taken the air trip while we were in Fairbanks to land on a Glacier. The other people who tried to take the Air Trip from the Cruise Ship were canceled due to heavy Fog and those choppers didn't take off.

At that time, I only had an older P&S with me. A brand new Canon Elph and I had shot 900 pics with it on that trip. I needed a long Telephoto for a couple of areas including the Denalli Trip and to shoot Mt McKinley. First and foremost you have to understand that the Glaciers create there own Fog. Ice will do that when the temps reach high enough and if there is Fog you might not see the Mountain. But for a lot of the time you will also need some kind of a wide angle. Its the most beautiful natural area of Raw Wilderness we have ever seen. You will love the trip and again, it is a once in a lifetime so shoot it all and every chance you get.

Haha, I found this in my Gallery here at the Village. I shot this while on that Single Engine Glacier Tour and this is what the area looked like. I should have had a better camera with me but I can't change that now. I still have great memories, great images even though this was a 5 MP camera.

I gave my camera to somebody that was there and had taken this shot of me standing in front of the DeHaviland Beaver while standing on Ruth's Glacier.

Nikon D80Nikon D700 Nikkor 70-300 VR f:4.5
Nikkor 60mm f:2.8 Macro Sigma 24-70 f:2.8 IF EX DG HSM
Nikon 85mm f:1.8D Vivitar 283 Nikon SB900
Sekonic L358 Manfrotto 055XB Tripod

Manfrotto 486RC2 Ball Head X-Rite Color Checker Passport

Last edited by Not4wood; June 7th, 2010 at 12:24 AM.